Web Video: The Needle Drop
The Needle Drop
is a web and radio based review show hosted by Anthony Fantano with various cameos by his bizarre roommate Cal Chuchesta. The music he reviews is usually more of indie and underground fare with the occasional bigger name slipping in either because of popular demand or relatively high critical acclaim. The show is highly popular on 4chan's music board, partially due to the fact Anthony also is a /mu/tant
channel can be found here
, and his side channel can be found here
This show provides examples of:
- Accent On The Wrong Syllable: A frequent habit of Cal's, along with Mondegreens.
- Adorkable: Anthony when he gets excited.
- Alter Ego Acting: Cal Chuchesta constitutes the Type 1 variety.
- Ascended Fanboy: Anthony works in radio and is an NPR contributor.
- Berserk Button: Steven Wilson fans pushed it after his review of The Raven That Refused To Sing. Also, Childish Gambino seemed to push it in his lyrics on his Camp album, which got one of the lowest scores Anthony's ever given.
- Breakout Character: Anthony has even acknowledged that a portion of his viewer base is there because they only watch his videos to see Cal.
- Broken Record: Some of the edits thrown in each video.
- Brown Note: The cover of ''Born That Way'' causes Anthony and Cal to throw up.
- Amusingly, Cal then chose Born This Way as one of his favorites albums of 2011 (so far), and when called out by Anthony on the fact that it made them throw up, he replied by stating that it was the most fun he'd had throwing up all year.
- Catch Phrase: "Anthony Fantano here, the Internet's busiest music nerd."
- "...I hate Cal Chuchesta."
- "Tran - sition!"
- Caustic Critic: Averted as he tends to be quite calm and collected even with music he dislikes, managing to point out its strengths as well as its flaws. That said, he usually avoids the other extreme, Gushing About Shows You Like, giving a balanced look into both the strengths and weaknesses of the albums he reviews.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Once again, Cal.
- Couch Gag: The tree.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In his video debating messages in music, Anthony asks the audience "And what about people who're in my position? In every review, do I have to throw in a footnote that says 'Anthony Fantano does not necessarily agree with the ideology of the artist he is currently reviewing in this review?'"
- Early Installment Weirdness: His pre-2010-to-2011 videos, recorded with much more meager means, don't feature Cal, and are recorded against a black background instead of in front of his apartment walls as they are in later videos.
- Gainax Ending: The Born This Way review. Anthony decides to take the time to simply stare at the album cover with the audience. After a few moments pass, Anthony and Cal spontaneously throw up (Anthony even smears the vomit on his face). Anthony then looks at the camera with a grin and says, "You can't judge me. I was born this way."
- Gentle Giant: Despite his very buff and intimidating appearance, he's a vegan and known for his very kind, calm, and Adorkable demeanor.
- Fan Vid: There are a few odd remixes of reviews and livestreams.
- Large Ham: Scott Stapp, apparently.
- Mad Libs Catch Phrase: Anthony has had a lot of fun with the variations of his name (Slamthony Dunktano, Shmoney Dancetano, Symphony Concerto, etc.), as have his fans. He's made so many of them that there's a shirt of some of them that you can buy.
- Mind Screw: His 2014 april fool's joke had him do two reviews of the same album, but one gives it a 0/10 and one gives it a 10/10. Well the joke itself isn't confusing, the way he delivers both reviews in his usual style makes it hard to tell which of his reviews is serious, which is a joke, how much of it is a joke, and all that.
- Mondegreen: Cal with lyrics and names.
- Overly Long Gag: His review of Gold Cobra basically consists of Anthony eating food.
- Signing Off Catchphrase: "Anthony Fantano...[artist]...[album]...forever."
- Sound Effect Bleep: Anthony usually bleeps himself out when he swears, although this is subverted in his review of David Comes to Life note , and drops the F word in the Couch Gag before the review starts.
- Actually, when Anthony first started his reviews he was not averse to swearing, then sometime in 2010 he started censoring any curse words that popped up, and as of 2012, he does let the occasional "goddamn" or even the occasional "fuck" slip out without censoring it.
- Surreal Humor: His editing gags, Cal's segments, and the tree.
- Stylistic Suck: Cal's reviews are very poorly done. Of course, that's what makes them hilarious.
- Vomit Indiscretion Shot: The ending of the Born This Way review.