Web Video: The Necro Critic
aka: Necro Critic
"We watch crap movies, we play crap games.
There's too much out there, causing us pain.
The actors are rancid. The plot is stale.
Necro is here to put an end to the fail.
The Necro Critic is in!"The Necro Critic is a Video Review Show starring Gareth Van Camp as the Necro Critic, a long-haired, sunglasses wearing, root beer drinking Caustic Critic who attacks his review subjects with cold logic and common sense.What sets him apart from other internet reviewers is his lack of a specialty. While other reviewers tend to have a specific focus, like certain movie genres or retro video games, Necro is more of a Jack-of-All-Trades critic, talking about movies, video games, anime, and even the occasional Top Ten List. His style is also much more down-to-earth and logistical than others, allowing him to defend his opinions in a much more calm and relaxed manner. At least until something pushes him past his breaking point…While he doesn’t have many episodes, nor is he as popular as other more famous reviewers, he has a very dedicated cult fanbase.You can see his videos here.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Inverted. Baby Geniuses had a scene that he considered to be this, until said scene was repeated not 5 seconds later.
- Angrish: He gets so fed up with the "awkward groping" running gag in Eiken, that near the end of the video, he completely loses it and starts yelling insane gibberish before repeatedly screaming the word "PAIN" and having to be sedated off-screen.
- Big "NO!": Him discovering that there's another game mode in Ehrgeiz. It actually extends past the end credits.
- Catch Phrase: "Oww... My soul!"
- Cat-thartic Scream: He has a tendency to scream into his cat the same way one would do to a pillow. Oddly enough, the cat doesn't seem to mind it too much.
- She even has a credit in some of his videos as "Shampoo the Stress-Relief Cat"
- Caustic Critic: He reviews both bad movies AND bad videogames. He occasionally reviews anime too.
- Cool Shades
- Disorganized Outline Speech: Necro Critic states three things that could've been done to fix Spider-Man 3 (paraphrased)1: Use any villain other than the Sandman.B: Stop focusing on Uncle Ben.Finally: Save Venom for the sequel.
- In fact he's been doing the "1, B,..." thing in a lot of his videos.
- Every Episode Ending: "This is The Necro Critic, saying..."
- Expository Theme Tune
- Frothy Mugs of Water: He is often seen drinking bottles of root beer or cream soda and treats them like they're alcoholic. Justified in that he was 19 when he started making his videos.
- I'm Having Soul Pains: His Catch Phrase is the page quote for this trope.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: He has a tendency to spout these on occasion, immediately followed by the audience booing.
"This is The Necro Critic: reminding you to always wear protection during phone sex. It's the only way to prevent hearing AIDS"
- He jokingly admits to getting death threats for the joke at the end of Call Me Tonight.
- It Was His Sled: This is the reason why he refuses to talk about the infamous ending of School Days, as a favor to people who haven't seen it yet.
- Jekyll & Hyde: Subverted. The Devil Critic is introduced this way note , but he's later revealed to just be his brother taking over for him while he's in an energy drink induced coma. And then it revealed that they were both warring robot clones from the future.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Noodle Incident: His Eiken review opens with him and Devil returning home from apparently saving Christmas. They are both horribly bloodied and bruised, someone apparently died, and they vow never to speak of it again.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: See Noodle Incident.
- Overly Long Gag: MAGICAL HEART!!!
- Overly Narrow Superlative: Played With in his The Adventures of the American Rabbit review, where he calls the titular hero "the worst America-themed, Animal Superhero ever conceived", directly comparing him to Yankee Poodle.
- Running Gag: He has a couple.
- Schedule Slip: He's had a few "embarassingly late" holiday specials.
"Happy Fourth of July... as of filming this anyway. Which means, by my track record, it's probably January right now."
- As of late, there's been a tendency to have a few months between videos.
- Lampshaded in his The Adventures of the American Rabbit review
- Sidekick: The Devil Critic.
- Sunglasses at Night: He once wore pair of reading glasses on top of his trademark shades.
- The Stoic
- Training Montage: He did two of these while playing Ehrgeiz's infamous Quest Mode. One while progressing a character to the end of the game, and a second one maxing out the other character's levels by hilariously exploiting a Good Bad Bug. Both done to the tune of Paul Stanley's "Live To Win".
- Video Review Show
- We Are Experiencing Technical Difficulties: Occasionally, this happens to him whenever something he's reviewing causes an insane breakdown, immediately followed by a brief scene of him after the off-screen sedatives have kicked in.