Web Video / The Last Angry Geek
A humorous comic book review series starring Brian Heinz as "the Last Angry Geek", featured on That Guy with the Glasses
. The L.A.G. was actually the first comic book based contributor to join TGWTG, but the second contributor to make comic book based videos
. Yes, you read that right: the Last Angry Geek joined the site as an article writer in May of 2008, a full six months before Linkara's first contribution. However, he didn't start his comic book review show, Comic Book Issues
, until September of 2009, making him both the first and second comic book reviewer.
Brian Heinz has also created three other series for TGWTG: True Internet Story
, a mock expose of various internet personalities (abandoned after two episodes
); You Know Who
, an episode-by-episode review of Doctor Who
; and Stark Raving
, a similar series reviewing episodes of Game of Thrones
, starring "Lord Stark", a nobleman wearing an Iron Man
The Last Angry Geek makes a cameo appearance in Suburban Knights
in his disguise as "Cloak #1", and later plays a more substantial role in To Boldly Flee
. He has a minor role in Demo Reel
as Fabrizio. Heinz is a real-life friend of Doug Walker
, from the same part of Illinois; Heinz, along with Doug and Rob Walker, produced the official Rifftrax Alternate Dvd Commentary
for Batman Forever
after winning a contest. Watch his videos here.
- All Men Are Perverts: Geek and Critic are willing to forgive Frank Miller's treatment of lower classes because he gave them Jessica Alba in a thong.
- Always Someone Better: Linkara lauds this over him in their co-review of "One Moment In Time". The Nostalgia Critic does this as well, in their co-review of "The Dark Knight Returns".
- Bad Future: In the beginning of Future's End, he wonders what Channel Awesome will be doing in 2019. Not so well, as The Cinema Snob took over the site and is keeping The Nostalgia Critic as a Sex Slave, Net Neutrality ending made Nash spend his time making macramé pictures of birds to sell to his neighbours, and Cloak #1 lives in fear of being skinned.
- Back from the Dead / Death Is Cheap: Dies in To Boldly Flee, but comes back to life 3 episodes later.
- Butt-Monkey: To Linkara in their "One Moment in Time" crossover review. Also to many of the other producers in his Avengers: The Children's Crusade review.
- Call-Forward: In "The Dark Knight Returns", the review opening takes place post To Boldly Flee, and this dialogue happens.
Last Angry Geek: How would you come back to life?
Critic: Well, I couldn't do that. I put everything on the line to come into the plothole. If I were to come back to life, it would be major cop out and everyone would see me as a total phony.
Last Angry Geek
. I mean...
- Casanova Wannabe: In his Christmas 2010 video.
- Embarrassing First Name: "Lord" Stark is not a title. It's short for his full name, Gaylord.
- Fourth-Wall Mail Slot In Stark Raving, Lord Stark answers questions about himself and life in Westeros submitted in the comments section.
- Lonely Funeral: While Critic got a big wake-slash-party at the end of To Boldly Flee, nobody cares about Geek's death save for Cat from Suburban Knights.
- Medium Awareness: In “The Dark Knight Returns” beginning, he still has some left over from To Boldly Flee, flippantly agreeing that Critic would be seen as a total phony if he came back to life before covering up.
- MST3K Mantra: Ask That Guy invokes this to explain why the Geek and Cloak#1 are now two separate individuals.
- Nonindicative Name: The rest of Channel Awesome is more than enough proof that he's far from the last angry geek, and in fact he's never particularly angry—if anything, he's one of the least caustic critics on the site. Pretty much the only accurate part of his name is Geek.
- That said, one of the few time he's actually lived up to the name was in his review of Red Hood and the Outlaws, which he felt genuinely insulted by.
- Later brought up in-universe for his reviews, when the You Know Who LAG is trying to explain that he's not the same as the LAG who does the comic reviews. The instant reaction being "There are two Last Angry Geeks?"
- Precision F-Strike: "Just who the fuck is this person!?" in regards to New 52 Starfire.
- Reset Button: Complains that Steven Moffat keeps doing this with the Daleks, as all the great stuff he did with them episode to episode keeps getting erased by the next time they appear as a serious threat.
- Running Gag: During the DC New 52 launch, Brian became more and more disturbed by the mysterious woman in the cloak. Eventually breaking down in tears.
- The "Oh God!" ramblings in his review of Deathstroke #9-12
- Shared Universe: Due to being part of the Reviewaverse and his number of cameos and crossovers, he's part of the Reviewaverse.
- Stillborn Serial: True Internet Story
- Story Arc: After To Boldly Flee, Brian started one in "The Search for the Geek", where in the aftermath of his death, the puppeteer Cat goes to search for the geek, while various side characters continue with the reviews.
- The Cameo: In Suburban Knights As leader of the cloaks
- Video Review Show
- Visual Pun: Lord Stark's helmet is one of a certain man clad in iron.
- World of Weirdness: The Reviewaverse.