Web Video: The Critter Room
The Critter Room
"Helping an animal may not change the world, but it will change the world for that animal."
is an online livestream broadcast out of the Seattle area by John Bartlett, known to viewers as Foster Dad John. Through a local shelter known as Purrfect Pals, he takes in cats that are about to have their litter and raises them on webcam until the kittens are old enough to be fixed, after which they are then adopted out to "forever homes" (usually people who have watched them on the webcam).
The stream shows a 24-hour, candid look at the mother cat raising her litter, and the adorable antics of the kittens thereof. If you want a quick and easy way to amuse yourself or blow off steam, look no further than this. You can tune in here
, but keep in mind that there is not always a new family on cam at any given time.
Tropes Associated With The Critter Room Include
- Aside Glance: Occasionally happens when the kittens discover the webcam.
- Audience Participation: There are several traditions among the chatters who watch, most notably saying "Hail!" whenever Chickenfish is mentioned.
- Breakout Character: Many times the kittens are given their own Facebook pages by their new owners after being adopted, and end up gaining followings in their own right.
- Chickenfishnote , the oddly-shaped plush toy adored by the kittens, has a fanbase of its own.
- The Critter Room Will Ruin Your Life: You may or may not be surprised by how addicting watching kittens grow up is.
- Cuteness Proximity
- Everything's Cuter with Kittens: Obviously
- Family Theme Naming: Every litter is named after a given theme. So far, there have been Scientist kittens, Mythbusters kittens, and kittens named after characters from Alien and Sons of Anarchy, among others.
- Fan Nickname: John's son Chris has been nicknamed "Minion".
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: John, of course.
- Official Fan-Submitted Content: The Critter Room's Facebook page is filled with fan-submitted artwork of the various litters.
- Once an Episode: A couple times a day, John will come into the room and play with the kittens. Also, he weighs the kittens once a day during the first week or so.
- One of Us: Some of the toys and jungle gyms that the kittens play with are called The Tardis and The Enterprise.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Sometimes it takes a while before the kittens can have their sex definitively determined. On more than one occasion, a kitten has been given one name under the belief they were one gender before it is revealed they were the other.
"Enjoy the kittens! Have a nice day."