Web Video: The Amazing Atheist
aka: The Distressed Watcher
T.J. in his natural habitat
I review the previews, to let YOU know which trailers are failures!
— The Distressed Watcher
Rape isn't fatal. So imagine my indignation when I saw a chatroom called 'rape Survivors.' Is this supposed to impress me? Someone fucked you when you didn't want to be fucked and you're amazed that you survived? ...Just because you got raped, you have to rape the English language?
You vindictive bitch! Also, don't you ever get tired of being the victim?
—The Amazing Atheist, Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman (2007)
Thomas "The Amazing Atheist" Kirk (or as he ironically calls himself, the god of the Godless) is an atheist who has been making videos on YouTube
since joining the site on November 20, 2006. Although the subject matter of his earlier videos centered almost entirely around atheism and anti-theism, he rarely deals with those topics today. Instead, most of his current videos are either social commentary or purely comedic in nature.
His style is loud, boisterous, and unapologetically offensive. However, he claims that these are his honest opinions. The Amazing Atheist never has even the slightest qualm about speaking his mind, despite sounding offensive to various targets. This is precisely why he's won well over 500,000 subscribers over the course of his YouTube
career, replacing Pat Condell
as the website's most popular atheist. That hasn't stopped him from making quite a few enemies, especially because of his strident anti-feminism
(though he has claimed on several occasions to only be an opponent of radical feminism, specifically when it is pro-censorship and patronizing, and argues that he is in fact a strong believer in gender equality and the freedom of choice). In recent years, he has befriended author and activist Howard Bloom, and has given Bloom the floor on several topics. He also co-hosts the Drunken Peasants
podcast with Ben and, on occasion, his brother Scotty.
He has also written four books: In Defense of Evil
, Scumbag: Musings of a Subhuman
, Final Revelation
, and Neckbeard Uprising
. Like most of his videos, the books are part philosophical, part comedic, and part autobiographical.
When not using the Amazing Atheist moniker, he often goes by T.J., Terroja, or The Distressed Watcher
. His YouTube
channel can be found here
. His alternate channel, TJdoeslife, where he posts off-topic videos, Q & As, and other things that wouldn't fit on his main channel, can be found here
. Though he was forced to take down most of his older videos in early 2009 due to YouTube's increasingly strict censorship policies, you can watch a few hundred of them here
if you are so inclined.
Notable Tropes Invoked by the Amazing Atheist:
- Accentuate the Negative: His criticism of theists. His serious moments are reserved for holier-than-thou types.
- Acceptable Targets: In his own opinion, Republicans.
Terroja: Okay, you're evil! We get it!
- Alternate Character Interpretation:
- Angrish: Plenty of it in this video. Considering that he's feeding a troll, it's to be expected.
- Appeal To Worse Problems: In his 'Amanda Todd' video, he asks those who care about the bullying problem deeply where their concern is for those who die from world hunger, war or preventable disease.
- Arch-Enemy: Several.
- Christian fundamentalists VenomFangX and JezuzFreek777. To a lesser extent, the Libertarian/Conservative vlogger Lee Doren, or HowTheWorldWorks.
- Pat Condell, though it seems he's more of an arch-rival than anything.
- As of this video, he has finally given us the name of his true Arch Enemy, one that takes many forms: Stupidity.
- To be short, every Christians who completely preaches, keeps on converting to their believes, ignores proven facts, obeys their faith blindly, and doesn't know how to quit.
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: In a recent video, The Amazing Atheist is mad that he never gets offered sex by gay Republicans in the men's room.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: When criticizing Pat Condell, he said that Pat Condell was anti-freedom, Anti-American, a hate-monger, a fear-monger, a hypocrite... and that he didn't like tacos.
- Artistic License – Biology: The "VenomFangX is a Stupid Creationist" series.
- Artistic License – History: Invoked in his Redneck History of America.
- Ass Shove: Pics of him shoving a banana up his butt have surfaced. He talks about it here.
- Atomic F-Bomb: From "The Diner Bizotch":
She ain't no minor bitch / No, she's a MAJOR FUCKING BIIIIITCH!!!
- Author Filibuster: The entire point of the channel is to show his opinions.
- Berserk Button: He has many, but a notable one in the PWNED: Stupidest Youtuber Ever video is when he went berserk over the troll admitting that Mario was fictional but real at the same time. Other infamous targets of TJ's wrath include white supremacists, [[Hypocrite radical feminists]], Justin Beiber, and Ron Paul.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: Frequently on the receiving end of this, if he is to be believed. So far he's managed to become rivals with several former companions, including, but not limited to:
- Belief Makes You Stupid: That's why he's called The Amazing "Atheist".
- Bi the Way: He stated on his "TJdoeslife" YouTube channel that he is bisexual.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: With FakeSagan. And his brother Scotty. And Cody Weber. And Galen/Hallcyon. Hell, never mind, T.J., who besides being heavyset is 6'7"/2 meters tall, fits this trope when he's with any of his friends.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: Deliberately invoked with "TJeatsgrapes", after used it as an example of a deliberately pointless idea. The fans loved it, and demanded its creation.
- Blasphemous Praise: He once said "I'm an atheist, but if I was going to worship a god, it would be Pixar."
- Brains and Bondage: His cuffs can be seen on many TJdoeslife videos. He's talked about it a few times on Q & As and the like.
- Brick Joke / The Stinger:
- Catch Phrase: It's the quote for this page.
- Caustic Critic: His Distressed Watcher material is caustic even by That Guy with the Glasses standards.
- Card-Carrying Villain: How he views the Republicans.
- Clip Show: This video.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: What he thought of Gorilla199.
- Con Man: In addition to being a bit of a notorious "e-beggar," he has also, on numerous occasions, solicited funds for projects that never materialized, such as Free Speech Vids and the "atheist roadtrip."
- Control Freak: How he perceives AynRand, and the reason he wasn't too fond of her even when he was a libertarian.
- Country Matters: Is not averse to this, though his usage of it is comparatively fewer and farther between than with other words.
- Curbstomp Battle: Often occurs in his "PWNAGE"-videos, when he obliterates the flawed arguments of, for example, StrawFeminists and obnoxious little wannabe Republicans.
- Dagwood Sandwich: The Slaughterhouse. A sandwich composed of the Baconator from Wendy's and the Double Down from Kentucky Fried Chicken.
Terroja: The taste of death is sweet.
- Discussed Trope: From the entry on the famous "remember when I promised I'd kill you last?" scene from Commando in his list of the most awesome movie scenes: "'I Lied!' That is the best thing ever! 'Hey, honey, remember when I promised to love, honor, and cherish you, until death do us part? Well, guess what? I lied!' Woo! That's badass."
- The Ditz: It's easier to list the characters that aren't.
- Don't Explain the Joke: He spends the first part of his Dungeons & Dragons review joking about all the characters wanting "the rod," and explains the joke at length in the second part.
- Double Entendre: The titles of his videos, "Penetrating Teenage Girls' Minds" and "Thrusting into Teenage Girls' Minds".
- Fanservice / Disservice: Any time he pulls up his shirt to reveal his man tits.
- Fat Bastard: Has more-or-less referred to himself as this on a few occasions. Was also how he characterized NightVisionPhantom.
- Female Misogynist: What he claims modern-day feminists, such as the one in this video, to be.
- Forced Meme: He has tried to make his "Blueberry Pie" the new Rickroll. It failed.
- For the Evulz: His theory in this video for why radical conservatives deny gay people rights, want a christian theocracy and want women to be second class citizens.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Made up one with his friends and fellow YouTube atheists a while back.
- He Who Fights Monsters: Since his constant struggle against trolls, extremists and stupidity in general sometimes tends to transform him from a rude but reasonable social critic into a raging Jerkass. He even made a video about exactly that topic.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: His beliefs as to why Anthony Weiner's indecent exposure scandal got so much coverage.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: There seem to be several, but TJ and his brother Scotty have remained the most constant throughout the years.
- Hive Mind: His main problem with Buddhism; he sees the search for Nirvana as repulsive and collectivist. To quote him directly: "Becoming a selfless component of some vague cosmic unifier doesn't sound that fuckin' appealing to me. If that's 'enlightenment', you can fuckin' keep it." For better or worse, the video has been removed at the time of writing.
- Humans Are Morons: His official stance on our species.
- Hypocrite: Likes to mock people who generalize atheists while at the same time makes generalizations about religious people.
- Hypocritical Humor: During his video on Justin Bieber's infamous statement that, if Anne Frank was alive, she would have been a belieber, he sarcastically reassures watchers that she wouldn't.
And I know Anne Frank, 'cause if she was alive, she would totally watch my videos.
- Insult to Rocks: When called out by a feminist for comparing feminism to the KKK, TJ issues an apology to the KKK for any image problems he caused them by comparing them to feminists.
- It's Personal: Played for Laughs in one video. When his debunking target asks what God has done to make him so angry, TJ responds with "He created YOU!"
- King of All Cosmos: When debating against the Cosmological Argument, he jokingly says that a blueberry muffin is what caused the Big Bang.
- Large Ham
- Lighter and Softer: The Distressed Watcher is this to the Amazing Atheist.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Parodied with his character, Lance Sloan.
- Metaphorgotten: "Those who live in glass houses can't throw diamond encrusted dildos..."
- Monster Fangirl: A scary Real Life example presented in Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's Fangirls?!?
- Never Trust a Trailer: The Distressed Watcher's Trailer Failure
- Never Trust a Title: He prefaces most of his sporadic film reviews with "WORST MOVIE EVER?!" He's just as likely to give them positive or mixed reviews, however.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Among others.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: He more-or-less used this to describe his fiction writing style in one of his videos.
- Noodle Implements: He once got embroiled in a sex scandal involving chocolate syrup, pot coffee, and a banana.
- Pet the Dog: He has said some kind things on occasion about his YouTube theist enemies.
- Pet Peeve Trope: Among them...
- Rebellious Spirit
- Rule Of Five: A variation. In his "WTF IOWA?" video, he gave four well-put examples of problems with Iwoa, and followed it up with "Slipknot is from Iowa", immediately saying "Five is just such a better number than four".
- Rousseau Was Right: Goes so far as thinking serial killers don't deserve to be executed.
- However, in the same video where he stated this, he claimed that it wasn't really because he "sees the good in everyone", but rather because he sees the evil in everyone, implying that he also believes Hobbes Was Right to some extent.
- Sanity Slippage: Happens over the course of his review of Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever.
- The Scrappy: In "Youtube vs. Bob", T.J. considers Bob to be spammy and counter-productive toward his intended goal.
- Screw Yourself: He has expressed interest in having sex with a clone of himself a couple of times.
"I mean guys, go get up, look in a mirror, look at your ugly mug and ask yourself if what you really want in life is a female equivalent of THAT?!...Yeah, me too, but surely there’s normal people out there."
- Schmuck Bait: This video, which was intentionally titled to attract both Straw Feminist and Straw Misogynist alike. The video itself is more of a Take That to both in favor of gender equality.
- Self-Deprecation: He has been known to frequently take potshots at his own appearance, political beliefs, and other facets of his life.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: Especially in this video.
- Shout-Out: The title of his parody Q&A series "The Wrong Advices" is from the way Ahnold said it in Pumping Iron.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Played for Laughs and later deconstructed.
- Stylistic Suck: "Too Sxe For My Brain"
- Testosterone Poisoning: MAN TALK! No women allowed 'cept my girlfriend 'cause she said so.
- Too Good for This Sinful Earth:
- Worthy Opponent: His apparent attitude... at least some of the time... towards JezuzFreek777. There have been moments when TAA has pointed out common ground between the two, such as when discussing their (somewhat) similar views on the Grand Theft Auto series. Also, when Jezuzfreek was going through a divorce, TAA went out of his way to say "I wouldn't beat down on you while you're already down."
- He once referred to JezuzFreek as "The Batman to [his] Joker."
- Also toward Lee Doren of How The World Works. He sees him as a "very smart guy" despite their differing opinions.
- Yandere: Essentially what he claims Jesus Christ to be in this video.
- You Keep Using That Word: Discussed in a video in which TJ talks about common phrases people use without thinking about what they actually mean.
The Amazing Atheist
: Here's something people say after some kind of tragedy or things don't turn out as planned, someone will always say, "You know, it is what it is." And it's always with that sage like tone as if we should be in awe of them for taking that common saying and infusing it with such weight and wisdom. It is what it is... yeah it is... IS what it is. Obviously!
Of course it is what it is! That's what it is!
That is like saying yellow is yellow.