Short Fat Otaku
is an anime reviewer, though he holds true to that term rather loosely. By his own admission he also reviews anime-related live action pieces or anime-related games, and sometimes he'll make live riffs or rifftrax of anime instead. Everything he does is related to anime in some way.
He is also a contributor on Reviewtopia
Short Fat Otaku provides examples of the following tropes:
- April Fools' Day: On April Fools 2011, he reviewed an american cartoon in a persona that is completely opposite to his usual otaku character.
- Big "NO!": At the end of the Boku no Pico riff video.
- Drop-In Character: His roommate, though he seems to be shifting towards a main character role recently.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Inverted. Short Fat Otaku has mentioned multiple times that he's actually tall, thin, and not at all an otaku.
- Foil: His roommate, who is not at all an anime fan.
- The Ghost: The camera woman. Even though she's featured extensively in the credits and is referred to regularly by SFO onscreen, we never get to hear her or see her (except for that one time when she stuck her hand out in front of the camera.) That is, until the Riff of Tekken: The Motion Picture, where she joins the riffers.
- Heroic BSOD: His reaction to Kodomo no Jikan.
- Hypocritical Humor: Large swaths of his episode are spent complaining about otakus, weeaboos, and fanboys... all while he sits in a room filled with anime posters and figurines.
- Pungeon Master: His roommate seems to be exceptionally adept at making lame puns.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: SFO's search for a new apartment was written into several of the episodes, with his old house being demolished by a wayward Falcon Punch in the F-Zero review, being missing during the Nuumamonjaa episode, and finally finding a new place to live in the Welcome to the NHK video.
- Record Needle Scratch: Used in his trailer for the Devil May Cry episode.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: SFO and his roommate.
- Troll: Read any of his replies to the comments of his Chobits (now deleted from YouTube unfortunately) and Kodomo no Jikan reviews. He seems to have made those videos specifically to piss off fans of those shows.