Shane Dawson is an incredibly popular YouTuber, currently the third most subscribed YouTuber overall. Strange, witty and Genre Savvy, his ability to mock himself and others and comedic skills have led to his massive following. He plays both fictionalised versions of himself and an assortment of strange, mentally ill characters, many of whom are inspired by people he knows. His work Crosses the Line Twice.His first channel is here, second channel here, and iPhone channel here.He's also starring in the horror movie Smiley with several other YouTube stars, and is also one of the regulars of the Fine Brothers' YouTubers React. Dawson directed and starred in his own movie, Not Cool.
Tropes Relating to Shane Himself:
- Ambiguously Gay: Oh, so much. He frequently lampshades this. There is a very good reason for the ambiguity though:
- Bi the Way: Shane came out publicly as bisexual in July of 2015.
- Bishōnen: Has been mistaken for a woman numerous times.
- Beautiful All Along: He used to be enormously fat, then lost all the weight.
- Black Best Friend: Shanna definitely qualifies.
- Camp Straight: He would have us believe so, but he's actually bisexual.
- Covers Always Lie: Uses misleading thumbnails for his videos to generate views.
- Disappeared Dad: Unfortunately. He occasionally ties this in to a moral.
- Formerly Fat: Lost a lot of weight.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: Played for LaughsIf by song, you mean hearing 'Fat piece of shit! fat piece of shit!' then yeah, that was.. that was the most popular tune! *weak laugh*
- Large Ham: The guy can chew the scenery if he wants to.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: Shane puts on an over the top and abrasive persona when working. When he's not doing a sketch, he comes across as rather nice- just see him meeting some of the Kids from React.
- Self-Deprecation: Most of his humor involves lampooning himself.
- Troubled, but Cute
- What Beautiful Eyes
- Wholesome Cross Dresser
- Yandere: While doing his parody of Taylor Swift's "Blank Space". He becomes obsessed with Taylor Swift and decides he has to be with her. He bashes in his girlfriend's face in with a set of weights, then stabs Taylor's bodyguard and then kills Taylor herself.
Tropes Relating To Shane's Characters:
- Ax-Crazy: Everyone. But especially Shanaynay.
- Ambiguously Bi: S-Deezy and Paris
- Abusive Parents: Shane's Mom takes it up to eleven
- Bigger Is Better: All the male characters, in particular S-Deezy and Ned, believe this.
- Blackface: Some supposedly black characters are actually him using this, which has made him somewhat divisive.
- Butt Monkey: While not actually played by Shane, the maid Guadalupe is often horribly injured or killed in her scenes.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Played straight with almost everyone. Aunt Hilda keeps the corpse of her dead husband at the dinner table, Shane's Mom abuses him mentally and S-Deezy and Shanaynay are violent murderers.
- Greedy Jew: Aunt Hilda"This shirt cost three whole dollars! Yeah. Three."
- Hollywood Nerd: Ah, Ned. Classic Type 1, although he does occasionally get the girl ... kinda
- Nerd Glasses: Ned
- Stepford Smiler: Ned the nerd. Just.. Ned the nerd.
- Talking to Himself / Acting for Two: EVERY ONE of Shane's characters
- The Makeover: Shanaynay, Aunt Hilda and occasionally Shane himself will insist on giving you one. Don't let them◊
Tropes Relating To His Show:
- An Aesop: Often ends his videos with one
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: His videos are practically made because of this trope.
- Slut-Shaming: In his parody of Miley Cyrus' "We can't stop".
- No, I wonít stop reminding you that Iíll all grown up by acting like a total slut
- Take That: MANY.
"My vagina got a high score in Temple Run!"
- He seems to hate Miley Cyrus with a burning passion, as there will always be some joke about her getting stoned or just being generally disgusting in any scene that features her.
- There was another scene where Paris used an iPad as a tampon
Shanaynay: I tried to get you Kelly Clarkson, but I couldn't afford a U-Haul.
- From the episode where Shanaynay drugs & kidnaps Katy Perry for Ned's birthday: