Save the Supers
is a web series by Sandeep Parikh (of The Guild
and The Legend of Neil
fame) about a group of dysfunctional superheroes oddly reminiscent of the Justice League
. Unfortunately, except for Only Sane Man
Merman (Parikh), they're overzealous in their use of force, frequently killing supervillains and destroying property. This, combined with budget cuts, puts the team in peril of having to dissolve, and Merman in the difficult position of having to fire one of his teammates in order to balance the budget....Episode 1
can be found on YouTube
Save the Supers provides examples of the following tropes;
- Affably Evil:
- Panthera seems to enjoy making exact duplicates of art as much as she does stealing them.
- The Bombadier is a partially reformed Mad Bomber. Now he only plants "fun" bombs (i.e. ones filled with confetti)!
- Adorkable: Merman. He's played by Sandeep Parikh, it comes with the territory.
- The Alcoholic: Morphman. it eventually gets him fired.
- Brought Down to Normal: World Man in the Season 1 finale.
- Catch Phrase: Fleet Foot's "Speed up, speed out."
- The Cameo:
- Tay Zonday (the "Chocolate Rain Guy") appears in episode 1 and narrates Fleet Foot's One Shot.
- Felicia Day portrays Panthera, a Catwoman expy in episode 3.
- Seth Green guest-stars as DJ Death.
- Expy: The whole team is basically the Justice League with the serial numbers filed off:
- Merman is Aquaman.
- World Man is Superman.
- Elementra is Wonder Woman.
- Fleet Foot is The Flash.
- Morph Man is Plastic Man.
- Night Knight strays the farthest from his source material, but is Batman (a "Dark Knight" who's a Gadgeteer Genius) if Batman were a crazy homeless guy.
- The first episode features the Jokester, a Joker Expy, and the third features Panthera, a Catwoman Expy.
- Flying Brick: World Man
- Gadgeteer Genius: Night Knight
- Heel-Face Turn: Fleet Foot has a past as supervillain Speed Demon. He has a family now.
- Homoerotic Subtext: Night Knight and General Underwood. Night Knight likes his Crazy-Prepared tendencies. The General has no idea what's up with Night Knight.
- Mad Bomber: The Bombadier, a partially reformed version of this trope. He still plants bombs, but this time they're only filled with confetti.
- Mad Scientist: Also Night Knight, obsessed with creating a Super Baby from his teammates' DNA.
- Musical Assassin: DJ Death uses loud techno music to this end.
- Power Nullifier: DJ Death's "ultrasonic radionucleic beams" can neutralize the Super Force's powers.
- Pun: The names of the supervillains in the opening credits sequence.
- Pungeon Master:
- The series open with a Joker Expy cracking many puns during a bank heist.
- Panthera constantly spews out cat-related puns, much to the annoyance of Elementra.
- Really 700 Years Old: Elementra
- Shout-Out: Night Knight's One Shot is a parody of the infamous audio recording of Christian Bale yelling at a lighting guy on the set of The Dark Knight.
- Smug Super: World Man is certainly in love with himself and his superpowers.
- Super Speed: Fleet Foot's superpower.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: Adequately, Merman's ability to squirt ink from his hands comes in handy to short-circuit DJ Death's giant speaker.
- Truth Serums: Elementra's "Breath of Truth".
- Twinkle in the Eye: World Man's intial appearance naturally includes this.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Merman gives this speech to his teammates when they kill the Jokester in episode 1.