Web Video: Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time
Regular Ordinary Swedish Meal Time
is a parody
of Epic Meal Time
, done with the Large Ham
and Mundane Made Awesome
levels turned Up to Eleven
, and overall making the whole thing more Death Metal
. Simply put, you can tell these guys are descended from Horny Vikings
. The videos have quickly become very popular, with the official YouTube
channel reaching over 28,000 subscribers in little over a month. It currently holds 935k subscribers.
In a sense, it's the logical inversion of Epic Meal Time
: While EMT
has outlandish foods being prepared with relatively ordinary preparation methods, ROSMT
has relatively ordinary foods being prepared with the most batshit insane methods imaginable.
After no updates for two years, the series resumed a bi-weekly schedule in January 2014. They said that, in addition to pursuing other opportunities, they ran out of kitchens they could cook in because they kept trashing them during filming
. A producer got them a kitchen they could (ab)use on a regular basis.
This channel provides examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: of Epic Meal Time.
- All Just a Dream: to the relief of the chef, most of the Pain Inflicting Porridge episode was this.
- April Fools' Day: The name of the episode, Tenacious Tacos, is enough to arouse suspicion.
- Awesome but Impractical: Most of the preparation methods look utterly cool, but sometimes are probably counter-productive. Any recipe involving eggs will have the eggs thrown about and broken before they're needed in the recipe, and a myriad foodstuffs get smashed and destroyed.
- It's gotten worse when the series returned at a new location: Niclas broke the table with an axe in the third episode.
- Ax-Crazy: Probably the world's first media about cooking to use this trope.
- Even more so now: During the Lethal Lasagne episode, the chef uses a battleaxe to chop onions.
- Badass Beard: Even more badass with mayo smeared all over it.
- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: The Catastrophic Crayfish episode starts with the two of them idly drinking coffee. The main chef notes that it tastes funny... and then, it cuts to a trippy image of Niclas, Tom and Mr. Fox while the slowed down playback of Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds playing in the background is the most rational thing you see.
- For one thing, Niclas is smiling. And there's a spinning Troll Face in there, too.
- The Christmas tree decorating scene in the Christmas episode.
- Berserk Button: "This isn't real mayonnaise, this is Swedish mayo!"
- Bilingual Bonus: Much of the spoken language is screamed Swedish. It's generally more of the same badassery.
- In Stomachless Sticky Cakes, there's some spoken Finnish (which seems to mildly unsettle the chef). He says "Next time, we speak Finnish".
- In Cookie Cataclysm, the chef shouts "Använd ett verktyg för att smöra plåten!" (Use a tool to butter the oven tray!). He then grabs one of his assistants and uses his face to butter it.
- Call Back: Whenever something is repeated, the last videos where they appeared are put on top of the current one. Such as screaming "UGN!!!" or streaming ketchup on something.
- Camera Abuse: When the Chef punches more butter into already sizzling butter in Chop Chop Carnage Stew, of course it splatters on the camera and the cameraman.
- Catch Phrase: "It's good for you!"
- "Nästa gång—..." (Swedish: "Next time..." - In the older episodes, Niclas interrupted the speaker whenever this Epic Meal Time catchphrase was uttered.)
- "Add X - if you want to. We won't. This is REGULAR!"
- "Swedish style!"
- The page quote.
- "Hacka löken!!" (Swedish: "Chop the onions!")
- In Furious Fishdicks, this became "Hacka fisken!!" ("Chop the fish!!")). With dual-wielded kitchen knives, no less.
- UGN! (Swedish for oven)
- "You gotta be gentle with it, like moose meat and a Swedish lady!"
- Chef of Iron
- Comedic Sociopathy: Waterboarding a friend with milk for entertainment. The outtake's caption points out that he's actually drowning. "Next time, we'll need a new assistant."
- Content Warnings: Rated "B" for Barbaric. "Food and gore. Violence. Ordinary swede."
- Death Metal: Probably one of the most metal cooking videos in existence. One of the themes is in this style.
- Dissimile: Bostongurka, "It's like pickles, except it's NOT!"
- Don't Try This at Home: The barbecue episode included the following disclaimer:
ATTENTION! Trained Swedes handling the fire. Do not attempt without being Swedish.
- Drunk Driver: While playing Mario Kart:
- Duct Tape for Everything: They are seen fixing the badly battered table with duct tape.
Caption: Healing Spell: Duct Tape
- Easter Egg: Click on the "Carrots are good for you" picture on the YouTube channel and you'll find this.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Swedish sidepork. It's pork, on the side."
- "Brown sauce, saucy and brown."
- "LIQUID BUTTER! Yellow liquid and BUTTERY."
- Eye Scream: Niclas shoves lemons into his eyes during the Superior Smörgåscake episode.
- He also squeezes lemon juice into his eyes in Catastrophic Crayfish.
- And rubs onions under his eyes in the Meatball Massacre.
- The very end of the Christmas episode has the chef in the process of removing another guy's eyeball with a spoon, which is seen again (and again) in the April Fool's episode.
- In one episode he squeezes them into Niklas' eyes.
- Finns with Fearsome Forests: One appears in the Sticky Cake episode. Niclas doesn't know what to make of him, and even the video description isn't sure.
- Fun with Subtitles: After their hiatus, you can now watch the videos on Youtube with the subtitles on. While the Swedish is translated properly, the subtitles will also react to the surroundings, such as emoticons for facial expressions, and other gems. Like this one from "Power Pea Soup and Patriotic Pancakes:
: Put the chopped up ingredients IN THE PAN! (throws pan at wall behind oven) Subtitle
: <Status: Broken>
- Gainax Ending: "Supreme Swedish Pilsner-Sausage" ends with one of the Swedes saying "next time" before having his head spin around and distort while he screams. The screen then informs us "he died".
- A Glass in the Hand: Whenever something needs juicing, squeezing or mashing, it stands a fair chance of getting crushed to death in one hand and the contents sprayed everywhere.
- Gratuitious Korean: "Sidepork Pandemonium" features the cook karate chop butter in half, indicated by a Korean flag in the top right corner and subtitles (in Korean).
- Heroic BSOD: Niclas is seen crying at the end of 'Massive Meatloaf Mayhem', having realized they forgot to buy mayo.
- "Next time, we won't forgot mayonnaise."
- In Killer Kalops, when Niclas is taking out the mayo from the fridge in order to have some pre-dinner mayonnaise, Mr. Fox trips him over from beneath the table, spilling the mayonnaise all over the floor. Predictably, Niclas is devastated by this turn of events.
- Hilarious Outtakes: Often posted on the channel and they are as amazing as the actual show itself.
- Kubrick Stare: Niclas performs a sustained one during the intermission of "Carnivorous Christmas Table".
- Lad-ette: In Cookie Cataclysm, one is being served. Even the chef has to quickly run away in fear.
- Large Ham
- Last Note Nightmare: The Christmas episode. OH DEAR GODS, THE CHRISTMAS EPISODE.
- Mood Whiplash: Anytime Niclas is peeling carrots, it's shown as a mundane, sombre task, worthy of tears.
Niclas: There really is no other way.
- Mushroom Samba: Start of the "Catastrophic Crayfish".
- No Indoor Voice: Niclas melts butter by screaming at it.
- Norse by Norsewest: Averted.
- Once an Episode: Pre-dinner snack! Leading to the below.
- Pet the Dog: "Moose meat. You gotta be gentle with it, just like a Swedish lady... swedish ladeh"
- Product Placement: Mario Kart is played at the beginning of Massive Meatloaf Mayhem.
- Mr. Fox is also seen playing it in "Catastrophic Crayfish".
- Obviously, the specific brands of food used.
- In episode 3, the chef gets his ingredients from an ICA supermarket.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: The thrash metal intro. "REGULAR. ORDINARY. SWEDISH MEAL TIME!!!! (IN SWENGLISH.)"
- Rated M for Manly: Probably the manliest chef ever!
- Real Men Eat Meat: Niclas spends the entirety of "Satanic Salad" making... well, a salad. When he realizes this at the very end, he snaps.
Caption: Next time, we'll figure out who the *** tricked us into making a *** salad ***.
- Ring Ring Crunch: The timer in Crucified Carrot Cake is disposed of this way. With a battle axe.
- Rock-Paper-Scissors: Niclas challenges Mr. Fox into one to decide which one will take care of the laundry in "Catastrophic Crayfish". He loses.
"One day, Mr. Fox!"
- Running Gag: Pre-dinner mayonnaise. IT'S GOOD FOR YOU.
- Especially noticeable when they forget the mayo in one video. Our hero is a sobbing wreck at the end of it.
- Smashing a package to empty out its contents, or tearing out the lid with its teeth, and throwing the contents willy-nilly at the cooking utensils.
- In the new episodes, the table in the middle of the kitchen receives a lot of abuse, in the form of cuts with knives, getting food smashed against it, being ripped apart by axe strikes and even being further damaged with the very pieces that compose it. Getting fixed with duct tape is a common occurrence too.
- Say My Name: "Misterrr Foxxx!"
- Shout-Out: If you look at the aforementioned secret video, you can see glimpses of "THE MAYO IS A LIE".
- It's a shoutout to an old Something Awful creepypasta/ARG that concerned numerically-named videos displaying bizarre black-and-white videos, purported to have been broadcast to a tiny Colorado town in the nineties.
- In Ludicrous Lousy Cats Niklas hands out some Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles trivia while glazing buns.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: Mr. Fox.
- Sound Effect Bleep: The bleating of sheep for profanity. Probably a Shout-Out to Epic Meal Time.
- Suddenly Shouting: Occasionally dips into this: "You must be gentle with it—BUT I WON'T!!!"
- Testosterone Poisoning: From Sweden, with love.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: See page quote. Once an Episode, even.
- This Is Reality: The series frequently reminds the viewer that these are perfectly run-of-the-mill cooking methods by Swedish standards.
- Title Scream: The newer videos have two rock intros, one in the style of thrash metal and the other in glam metal.
- Token Non-Human: Mr. Fox. (Not that one.)
- Trademark Favorite Food: Niclas always grabs a spoonful of Pre-Dinner Mayonnaise.
- Up to Eleven: Literally. Their cooker has a maximum setting of 11 drawn on it.
- In one episode, "Eleven is not present! Six will do!"
- And in another, they try to set the stove to eleven by turning two dials to one.
- Inverted in yet another, "Twelve is present! Eleven will do!"
- Use Your Head: "PREPARE THE MEAT!" (stars headslamming the table to tenderize the meat)
- Also used to "chop" onions in "Deadly Thinbread Rolls".
- Niclas also does this to "roll" the pizza dough in "Petrifying Pizza".
- The Voiceless: Instead of talking, Mr. Fox just sort of shakes.
- World of Badass: Sweden, if these videos are to be believed.
- Wrestler in All of Us:
- Occasionally used as food preparation techniques.
- BODY SLAM THE SAUSAGE!
- You Kill It, You Bought It: The host may have become Jultomten, aka Santa Claus.