Web Video: Pokémon The 'Bridged Series
An abridgement of the Pokemon cartoons by Team Elite 3.This series
, often shortened as P:TBS, prides itself in using humor that defies many of the Tropes typically seen in Pokémon parodies and other Abridged Series
. As of May 2014, there are twenty episodes, a planned movie, and various extras, including redubs and songs performed by the characters. xJerry64x
co-write, whilst 1KidsEntertainment does the video stuff, and between the three of them they handle all the voicing as well (1Kids: Ash, Pikachu, James; Nowacking: Misty, Jessie; Jerry: Brock, Meowth, The Narrator).
Team Elite 3 have also branched out into other projects, such as an abridgement of Twitch Plays Pokémon
), for which they added two honorary members: ChromeGloss, who has provided them with incidental music for several years, and Stephan Krosecz of Abridged On Titan
, who does outside animation and editing.
Not to be mistaken for Box of Danger's Pokemon The Abridged Series
This work provides examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Played for laughs. Delia Ketchum kicks Ash out of the house on his birthday, tries her hardest never to talk to him, and sleeps with Professor Oak, which everyone but Ash knows.
- All Just a Dream: Episode 15.
- Angrish: Misty is prone to this.
- Anything That Moves: Brock. Along with things that don't move.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: From episode 6:
Jessie: You know what this hole reminds me of? Our relationship. It's dark, uncomfortable, lifeless, and Meowth is here.
- Asshole Victim: In the first two episodes, Pikachu keeps repeatedly dying, only to be replaced with the exact same Pokemon later in the episodes.
- Berserk Button: The color blue for Ash.
- Brock: Claiming that breeding is all about massages and making food.
- Misty: Claiming Ash is a genius or whenever he is rewarded for doing nothing.
- But You Screw One Vulpix: Brock's...unhealthy obsession with Pokemon breeding is a major part of this series.
- Black Comedy Rape: Outside of Brock, Office Jenny is a pedophile. In episode 2, Office Jenny gives Ash a roofie and has her way with him for 2 weeks.
- It's implied she does the same thing in Episode 7
- Aaaaand when Sabrina offers Ash her gym badge in exchange for leaving Brock and Misty in her dungeon:
- Brick Joke: "Purple" as a verb. From episode 7:
Ash: "And you can't even purple because you're ugly and you're stupid and you're bad! That's right: you can't even purple!"
- Then later, in episode 9:
"But you're wearing blue
"It's a light purple, which, incidentally, you cannot do
"Just because you keep saying that doesn't make it a thing
! I have no idea what you're talking about!" Ash:
"Neither do I!"
- Tracey being with the group the entire time. From episode 15:
Misty: "You weren't there! You don't know that!"
Tracey: "But I was there and you don't know that.
Later on, in the three part special episode, it's revealed that Tracey has been with the group the entire time and Misty was the only one who didn't notice him. Subverted at the end of the episode, as it turns out he's actually just some insane stalker that none of them have met before, but Ash was too stupid to realize it and Brock wasn't there because Tracey killed him to take his place.
Brock: *about the grimer* Hey look my new children like Misty's scent.
Misty: HOW DID YOU MAKE THESE?!
Brock: Misty, look at me, look at me. I can breed anything.
- And in Orange Island Episode 3/3:
Misty: YOU BRED SATAN?!
Brock: I told you; I can breed anything!
- Butt Monkey: Misty.
- Camp Straight: James, Up to Eleven. There's as many hints between him and Jesse in the later episodes as there was in the original series. Plus, she distinctly refers to her association with him as "our relationship".
- Catch Phrase
- Ash: BATTLE!!
- James: No one will ever suspect I've disguised myself as a ___!
- Meowth: You mad?
- Brock: Breeeediiiiing...
- Prof. Oak: Back in my days ________ husks of cooorn!
- Jessie: But Jaaaaames...
- Misty: I'm not crazy!"
- Tracy: "Naaaked."
- Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny: DON'T TELL ME/HER/US HOW TO DO MY/HER/OUR JOB(S)!
- Cloning Blues: Misty distinctly remembers having only one sister, Sisty, throughout her life. Now she has three, because they had problems with "the machine". They also finish each other's sentences; oftentimes one clone says but a single word in each sentence, no matter how long it is.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Pikachu seems to be one for Schadenfreude.
Pikachu: Watch it bleed! It's entertaining!
- Cosmic Plaything: Misty. She is the least insane member of the cast and the universe is determined to make her break (and has succeed a lot).
- Cute Is Evil: You think you're familiar with the adorable Clefairy? Well in this series, they intend to sacrifice humans, as well as dismember them.
- Dude, He's Like, In a Coma: A Photo Montage in Episode 2 reveals that Officer Jenny took a barely conscious Ash on...quite a few "adventures" around the world.
- Dumb Blonde: Misty's sister, Sisty.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: The only person to so far legitimately befriend Brock, Barbara, has a really bad case of this. So does Bulbasaur. However, it's more like "Elber Fubb Sybdrobe."
- Even Evil Has Standards/Hypocritical Humor: In episode 15, Brock describes Tracey as "so creepy", before serving his Brock Crotch Stew.
- Brock is too creepy for the Organization of Underground Breeders.
- Brock was kicked out of hell.
- Everybody Laughs Ending: Played straight in episode 7 at the expense of Misty. Subverted in episode 12 when all four main characters seem to be laughing, but in reality, only Ash, Brock, and Pikachu are laughing while Misty is actually crying because she's distraught that Ash has gotten away with setting the Celedon Gym on fire, and was in fact rewarded with his fourth gym badge for doing nothing but watch everyone else put it out.
- Foreshadowing: A possible case in episode 17. The island that Nurse Joy was sending the dead Pokemon to seemed strangely familiar...
- Forgetful Jones: Professor Oak
- Guttural Growler: Brock, whenever he starts talking about Breeding takes this almost to the level of a Death Metal vocalist.
- I Am Not Weasel: Ash decides his Caterpie looks like a Mewtwo and nicknames it as such, despite Caterpie's protests.
- I Banged Your Mom: It seems everyone is trying to tell Ash this about Professor Oak and his mother. Even Gary, but they are either cut off by an explosion, or Ash simply ignores it.
- Idiot Hero: Ash Ketchum, with more idiot than hero.
- I Love the Dead: In The Stinger of episode 8, Brock revealed that he was with a family for a Thanksgiving dinner, where he hosed down the family's collection of Vulpix; however, at the dead of night, he "killed the Vulpix, made love to the carcasses, before I buried them in the back yard. Breeding!"
- Karma Houdini: Ash. All the time. He never earns any of the awards he receives, and he continues to get away with leaving destruction in his path. Only Misty finds something wrong with this.
- Lampshade Hanging: In episode 2, Ash tries to take advantage of the Pokemon anime's very long run and make himself believe he's 21 to get into a building. It doesn't work.
- Large Ham:
Officer Jenny: "I'M SOOOOLVING CRIIIIIME!!!!!"
- Larynx Dissonance: Any time 1Kids, Jerry, and practically every other voice actor who isn't Nowacking plays a female character.
- Lost In Transmission: A Running Gag involves Oak saying "By the way, I f*cked your—", only to be cut off by an explosion.
- Mind Screw: Episode 18. Not even the narrator knows what's going on. Or Misty.
Narrator: Sooo... that happened...
Misty: It shouldn't of happened!
Brock: What happened?
Misty: I DON'T KNOW!
- Most Annoying Sound: In-universe, Misty finds Barbara to be this. Out-of-universe, Nowacking finds Barbara to be this.
- Victreebel's (extended) scream-like cry also qualifies in-universe.
- Non-Indicative Name: Sunshine Valley Happy Place Town City Valley. There's no sunshine.
- Not as You Know Them: Ash is utterly retarded, Misty loves Fire Pokemon (which was worked into her new backstory, with her being disowned by her family) and Brock is... yeah.
- Only Sa... Least INsane Woman: Misty.
- Mikey from Ep 19 is easily the sanest character in the series.
- Also Pikachu has his moments when his not being a complete psycho.
- The Other Darrin: Misty was originally played by xJerry64x, but was quickly replaced by Nowacking in the second episode. Handwaved as an illness called "falsettosis". Also played around with at the end of episode 3, where several different voices "audition" for the voice of Pikachu, including a self-destructing Dalek!
- Parental Abandonment: All three protagonists have been disowned by their parent(s) at some point during or prior to the series: Ash (on his birthday, no less) so he wouldn't dip into his mom's savings account; Misty because her love for Fire-type Pokemon was seen as a disgrace to her family of Water-type trainers; and Brock for sullying his family name with his unhealthy obsession with breeding. In defense of Brock's father, Brock deserved it.
- Pokémon Speak: Played straight in some cases, averted in others. Pikachu, for one, is the series's most prevalent aversion to this trope; he speaks perfect English and has conversations with other characters.
- Psycho Lesbian: Possibly Sabrina, given her evil looking Slasher Smile in episode 16 after Misty proclaims she hates boys.
- Pungeon Master: Meowth becomes one in Episode 19 when Jesse and James refuse to dig more holes.
- Railroading: The Narrator in episode 16. Ash and friends will stay in Sunshine Valley Happy Place Town City Valley!
- Rapid-Fire Comedy
- Reformed, but Rejected: In episode 17, Officer Jenny decides it's time to stop molesting children and start taking her job seriously. Unfortunately for her, she still has a bad rapport with the kids. And Brock doesn't help.
- Remember the New Guy: Brock is first shown traveling with the others in episode 5 without even showing how or why he's with them. Subverted in that Ash has absolutely no idea who he is at the time, and doesn't even notice him until they start talking to each other.
- Running Gag: Someone saying, "I'm up here and you're down there!" or a variation of the sort.
- Sanity Slippage: Misty, the more time she spends with Ash and Brock. Episodes 14 and 15 (despite the latter being All Just a Dream) imply that Brock is doing it on purpose to ensure she doesn't steal his friendship with Ash.
- Stealth Pun: I will become lord of the moonstones! Seymour is voiced by Lord Moonstone
- The Stinger: Episode 10 has, like, five. Episode 15 has four.
- Shout-Out: Averted. 1Kids dislikes references (the Take That listed below is basically the only one in the entire series), preferring to revise until they come up with something more creative. This has been Flanderized into being his real-life primary personality facet.
- Talking to Himself: 1Kids plays both Ash and Pikachu.
- Take That: Against Ray William Johnson and others.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: Mikey's three brothers include Mitch, Mark, and... Frank. Frank is the only one out of the trio who dislikes his Eeveelution.
- The Lesser Of Two Evils: Misty believes Brock to be this when compared to Tracey.
Misty: I've never been so happy to see Brock in my life!
Misty: I'm really not sure if I prefer you or Tracey...
Tracey: Ok guys, I'm done with my best sketch yet! *shows a picture of a naked Oak and Delliah.*
Misty: Ok, never mind! Brock I missed you!
- The Nth Doctor: Misty's sudden change of voice is explained by having come down with a case of "falsettosis". Every female character in the series not voiced by Nowacking is explained away with this.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Pikachu
- Too Dumb to Live: Ash and Professor Oak are outside Oak's house and realize that it's on fire, then they go inside to stand around and talk.
- Misty gets in on the act too. Their battle in Episode 7 goes like this:
Ash: "Go, Butterfree!" (His butterfly deploys)
Misty: "Go, Staryu!" (Her starfish deploys)
Ash: "My Butterfree can swim ten times better than your Staryu!"
Misty: "Well my Staryu can fly a gillion times better than your Butterfree!"
Ash: "Butterfree, use Dive!"
Misty: (flapping her arms) "Staryu, Fly!!"
Staryu: *tips into the water and drowns*
'Butterfree: *falls into the water and drowns*
- Justified on Misty's part. By that point, Ash had broken her brain through sheer stupidity.
- Troll: Koga gives Ash the Soul Badge despite utterly curbstomping him. Why? To confuse Misty.
- Tsundere: Misty, though her swings between tsuntsun and deredere are even less predictable than in the original show.
- In the episode 1 redub we get to see her mood swings as they occur in her head.
- Unexplained Recovery: Oak, after Pikachu nuked Pallet Town. Lampshaded by Ash.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Pikachu has no qualms about electrocuting or setting up traps meant for Ash, but Ash still considers Pikachu his buddy. Then again, Ash thinks nothing of getting his Pikachu replaced in episode 10.
- The entire basis of the song My 'Bridged Friends.
- Wham Line: From Lieutenant Surge:
Surge: Oh, I thought he was your slave.