"In my restless dreams, I dream that I am eating a giant marshmallow... but then I wake and realize you're smothering me with your favorite pillow."
The brain child of ILikeWaxingOwls, this utterly surreal series can best be described as "Silent Hill
Abridged" and he manages the feat of taking a series noted for being dark and disturbing and turning it into something... hilarious and disturbing.
So far Silent Hill 2
, Silent Hill 3
, Silent Hill 4
, Silent Hill Origins
, Shattered Memories
is in the works right now.
A common element of the series is making fun of the entire set up, though the creator is a fan of the games
. For example the Borley Haunted Mansion is turned into a hilarious experience as the unseen tour narrator comes off as bored and depressed and starts talking about antique furniture for no reason.
It also often features many in-jokes for fans of the series to enjoy, most of them appearing in Noisy Hill 4
The series can be found here
for your viewing pleasure.
It provides examples of:
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-Universe, Henry's slightly creepy voyeur habits around Eileen are blown up to insane proportions and his indifferent nature is changed to show him as an uncaring jerk ass.
- Additionally, Douglas' questionable skills are mocked incessantly.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Henry is freaked out that parts of the game he's in are in first person.
- Captain Obvious:
Elle: (About the missing people board) Every day there are more posters to put up.
Alex: That's because people are going missing.
Douglass: That monster? What the hell was that?
Heather: It was a monster!
- Catch Phrase: Douglas likes to remind everyone that he's a detective at every possible opportunity.
- Also, "Pillows" for James.
- Heather tries to turn "More like a nightmare I'd say" into one. The other characters aren't impressed.
- Call Back: Travis returns in the second episode of Noisy Hill: Homecoming and reveals that he's been stuck on that table the Order strapped him down to for THIRTY YEARS. And that since then he's been running over random girls hoping that one of them is Alessa so he can be in a Silent Hill game again because it's still the best thing that ever happened to him
- Character Exaggeration: James Sunderland's smothering Mary with a pillow is turned into a psychotic compulsion to do so to everyone. Henry's cluelessness is so great he often comes across as the long lost twin of Sailor Moon Abridged Mina.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Vincent. Very much so.
Vincent: Am I looking at you, am I looking at the wall? Who knows, that's just one of my many powers.
Claudia: You'll go to hell!
Vincent: Oh, really? When? Oh, I've been stabbed...Now to get a good look at my attacker. Oh no, it's you! Ohwait, that makes sense.
Angela: I'm sticking the knife into my leg. Owwwww. (later) Ow. Why did that hurt so much?
- Could Have Avoided This Plot: Claudia's entire plan.
Claudia: Yes, making you hate me. That's a justifiable reason to kill someone. Because we got along so well when we first met.
- Deadpan Snarker: In Downpour, Murphy is one:
Anne: (To Murphy, who is in a queue to get on a prison bus) Get on the bus.
Murphy: Oh, thank God you told me to do that, I don't know what I would have done otherwise.
- Disproportionate Retribution: After Maria shoves James:
James: Did you just shove me?
Maria: No, it was her. (Pointing in another direction)
James: Oh, thank you. (Begins to walk away)
Maria: Wait, where are you going?
James: I'm going to kill her.
Maria: Why are you going to kill her?
James: I don't like being shoved.
Travis: How could you leave your daughter?
Dahlia: Well, she was playing with matches, so I set fire to her as punishment.
- The Ditz: Henry. Just Henry. After standing around while Richard is slowly electrocuted by a makeshift electric chair, what does he say?
Henry: Oh look, there's the plug!
- Then there's his belief that the Water Prison is a prison for criminal water...
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Heather randomly shifts into her Princess Heart costume, usually at the most dramatically inappropriate time.
- Genre Savvy: Eddie, of all people, points out that James comment about how it's "Not safe" is ridiculously obvious, given that they're in a survival horror game.
- Douglas has some pretty savvy moments himself:
Heather: I'll call an ambulance!
Douglas: An ambulance? Oh yes, let's go back to the hospital! Great idea. Even if one did come, GOD ONLY KNOWS what would be driving it.
- And a little later in the same scene:
Douglas: That's a pretty good reason for me to risk your life, while I stay here safe and sound from all those fence obeying monsters.
- Genre Blindness: Heather seems to have no idea that the things around her are dangerous and indeed sometimes seems to barely understand what's going on around her.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Douglas embodies this trope. "She seems nice enough...once you get past the whole cult aspect of her life."
- Insurmountable Waist High Fence: Averted by the Schisms.
Elle: "We'll be safer underground."
Alex: "Please, these are fence obeying monsters..."
*Schisms begin climbing chain-link fence*
Alex: "Oh God, they've learned!"
- Jerk Ass:
- James Sunderland is very much this throughout the first Noisy Hill. Perhaps the greatest moment of Jerkass-ness comes when he's talking to Angela on the burning staircase
James: I might catch something. Like INSANITY or something. Heh heh heh. Oh James, you comedian.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre: Travis's trucker friend hints that 'a girl or two could go a long way, if you know what I mean' in solving his sleeping problems. Naturally, Travis doesn't catch on.
Travis: You mean a long way in my truck?
- Lampshade Hanging: James sometimes does this, mostly on how bad some of his dialogue is.
James: (on the burning staircase with Angela) Okay James, you haven't said anything really obvious in a while. Hmmm...it's hot as hell in here.
- Right after the Sepulcher boss fight in Homecoming:
Alex: Now I'm going to combine two of Silent Hill's biggest cliches: passing out and falling down a hole.
- Mythology Gag: When James and Maria are opening the fridge:
James: Wow, I bet you could keep an umbilical cord in here.
Maria: What makes you say that?
James: Oh, just something my dad used to say.
- No Fourth Wall: Eddie apparently knows they're in a survival horror game.
- Alex and Elle seem to have this at times too. Though in a Subversion of how this normally plays out in the series, when Alex acknowledges he's in a video game around his father he has no freaking clue what he's talking about
- Running Gag: Heh. Pillows.
- Many aspects of Silent Hill 2 has been turned into running gags...which is itself an in joke on Silent Hill 2 informing much of the mythology of the series.
- Also Wheeler constantly seeming to die only to turn up alive and well in the next episode in Homecoming.
- Shout-Out: Curtis proudly claims that his "Special ability" is being able to fix things. And that when he's not busy with that he spends his time stealing peoples superpowers
- Solve the Soup Cans: Frank Sunderland in Noisy Hill 4: "I have to talk to 5 hanging corpses before I go into my room. Now that is pointless security."
- The series' many puzzles of this nature are hilariously lampshaded in Noisy Hill Origins part 7:
Travis: You have to open the washing machine by playing Beethoven's Fifth, get the key to the box on the table in the kitchen with the hair inside that goes down the plug to get a hanger that straightens into a lock-picking device.
- Surreal Humour
- Talking to Himself