Hosted by Rantasmo, Needs More Gay
provides a look at LGBT culture and its representation in the media and various subcultures. The series is hosted on Chez Apocalypse
and The Backlot (formerly After Elton).
Works/authors/topics discussed by Rantasmo include:
This show provides and discusses examples of:
- Agent Peacock: Top 8 Effeminate Badasses.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Rantasmo posits that in Superbad, Jonah Hill's character is closeted and actually in love with Michael Cera's character.
- Also Fight Club can be seen as the story of a gay man who desperately want to be straight who becomes increasingly destructive until he accepts who he really is.
- Armored Closet Gay: straight!Rantasmo, who is revealed to be a split personality of Rantasmo, who himself tried to pass as straight for years before accepting he was gay. This is revealed in the Fight Club review, appropriately enough.
- Bury Your Gays: Game of Thrones gets a pass on this because that show kills everyone.
- The Cameo: Appeared in the second part of the Nostalgia Chick's The Return of the King review to discuss the Ho Yay between Frodo and Sam.
- He later appeared in Lindsay's video on Disney villains and their tendencies towards gay coding.
- Camp: It's about LGBT culture so it comes up.
- Catch Phrase: See the above quote.
- Cure Your Gays: talked about in "ex gays need more gay".
- Deadpan Snarker: Rantasmo himself.
- Double Standard: Pointed out in his "Male Gaze" video: shots of attractive women in various states of undress are often given gratuitous closeups, whether as those of shirtless undressed men are usually shot from farther away, to be less exploiting and more like "yeah, I'm awesome."
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: In the "Needs More Straight" April Fools' Day episodes.
- Male Gaze / Female Gaze: Examines the two in his video "The Male Gaze".
- Non-Indicative Name: Zig Zagged. While he does regularly talk about genres and media that could be improved by the addition of gay content, more often than not he talks about things that either already have gay elements, or that just resonate with the gay community
- Running Gag: In more recent episodes dealing with lesbians (such as Ellen DeGeneres or Magical Girl anime), Rantasmo often introduces the subject with an image relating to the topic of lesbians (such as Ellen DeGeneres), "LESBIANS" in all-caps text, and an ominous dramatic chord.
- Sophisticated as Hell: From The Science of Cruising: "Let me preface this by saying that I am not here to judge, I am not here to endorse. I am a man of science. I observe behavior, I draw conclusions, and I report my findings in an objective and entirely tasteful manner. So, with all that said...it's time to talk about humpin'."
- Stop Being Stereotypical: Discussed in the Hollywood Montrose episode. While Rantasmo says that Hollywood is a horrible, cliched stereotype, he's still a genuinely fun and likable character; he notes that people like Hollywood really do exist, but they are just a fraction of gay people and their experiences.
Rantasmo: Hollywood Montrose is a great character the same way that jelly donuts are a delicious food, but neither is very nutritious.
- Testosterone Poisoning: The April Fools "Needs More Straight" episodes, where straight!Rantasmo talks (or at least starts to) about straight stuff:
Stuff like Ultimate Fighting! Oil refineries! Sex with women!
Fishing! And Nell Carter!
Caption: GUY STUFF! (heavy guitar riff, explosion)
- Unfortunate Implications: In-universe he discusses them with the perception of Gay culture and the works he views, he points out when their warranted or not. Apt-Pupil for example, he discusses how the film can be viewed as homophobic, but he views it as an obsession with power and its imbalances.