Web Video: Mystery Guitar Man
Mystery Guitar Man, aka Joe Penna, is a Brazilian-born, U.S.-based musician and video editing junkie whose YouTube channels can be found here and here. Videos usually use greenscreening, stop motion, looping and other tricks to make clever covers of popular songs featuring Joe and an army of doppelgangers. MGM (as he is sometimes known) is also an avid user of YouTube gimmicks, incorporating the comment system, annotations, video links and 3D to play somewhat with the boundaries of Internet video content.Joe is one of the most popular contributors on YouTube, with numerous records for views and subscriptions in various categories. In particular, his is the most-viewed Brazilian channel of all time, and each video includes a brief shout out to his Portuguese-speaking fans. In more traditional media, he has had some exposure through an ad deal with McDonald's and Rhett & Link, culminating in a commercial for the 2011 Super Bowl, and a role as host and producer on the educational television series Xploration Earth 2050.
This series provides examples of:
- Chroma Key: And how.
- Cool Shades: His trademark, hence the "mystery". However, he's taken them off fairly often and makes no attempt to seem badass for wearing them.
- He mentions that his wife-to-be will have to wear them once they're married.
- Everything Is an Instrument: The theme of several videos.
- I Am the Band: Again, editing magic to the rescue.
- Me's a Crowd: Many videos involve a number of clones who do backup instrumentation.
- The Oner: "Santa's Late!"
- The Voiceless: Joe does not sing in his songs. When he does make noise during a performance, it's usually not language.