"Welcome to Mortimer's Vlog! I'm your host Mortimer, and behind me is my bandleader, Joe!"An Affectionate Parody of late-night talk shows created by Andrew and Michael Flack.Initially used to satirize the Late Night War of 2010 between Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien, Mortimer's Vlog follows the exploits of a monkey named Mortimer and his unwilling sidekick/bandleader Joe as they shoot a Video Blog that he thinks is a network TV show.The show takes on a semi-serialized format, with each "season" (every ten episodes is considered one season) having a plot-arc that usually gets started about halfway through.
—Mortimer, at the beginning of pretty much every episode of Mortimer's Vlog.
- Mortimer begins filming the show, interviewing his friends and forcing his roomate, Joe, to be his bandleader.
- There is mention of a show that follows Mortimer's Vlog called Talk Weakly With Steve Wikli.
- Mortimer announces that he's going to retire from the show and Steve is going to replace him.
- Two episodes later, Steve takes over Mortimer's Vlog. Mortimer's not happy about this.
- A mild-mannered monster named Rutherford takes Steve's old job at Talk Weakly.
- Mortimer beats Steve up on-air and reclaims his show.
Season 2 (current season)
- With Steve out of the picture, Mortimer gets back to doing his show as per usual.
- A few holidays are celebrated, including Halloween, Christmas, and even New Year's.
- Eventually, Zantitus calls Joe, inviting him to turn Mortimer's Vlog into a Product Promotion Parade, setting a plan in motion that threatens to destroy the show... forever...
This series features examples of:
- Affectionate Parody: The whole thing is a parody of talk shows and video logs.
- Annoying Laugh: Joe in Episode 6.
- Anti-Humor: "Well, let's take a look at the news... have you heard about this? There's a lot of war and famine out there. And disease."
- Arch-Nemesis: Steve Wikli
- Aside Glance: Joe in pretty much every episode.
- Author Appeal: The creators of the series are totally gay for—er, VERY enthusiastic about Conan O'Brien and late-night talk shows as a whole.
- Biting-the-Hand Humor: Mortimer and especially Joe constantly point out the fact that they're on a lowly rated youtube channel.
- Black Comedy: "Escort Service... blood stain removal... police bribes... I'm feeling lucky..."
- Mortimer shooting Bubba in Episode 15.
- Born Unlucky: Steve Wikli
- Butt Monkey: Steve Wikli
- Cannot Tell a Joke: Mortimer; Steve to some extent.
- Celeb Crush: Mortimer seems to have one of these on Fred Armisen; appropriately, rival Steve has one of these on Jason Sudeikis.
- Pretty much every character seemingly has a crush on Neil Patrick Harris. Even Joe.
- Chain of Corrections: "I booked Eric The Armadillo!" "Who's Eric?" "He's an author. He was on Rutherford's show... he was at your New Year's party!" "What New Year's party?" "What?" "What?"
- Jerk Ass: Mortimer is possibly the worst friend in the world, and definitely the worst boss in the world.
- To some extent, almost every character can be considered this. Joe, Steve, Rutherford... none of them are very likable people.
- Running Gag: Too many to count!
- Mortimer can never remember who Steve Wikli is, even though he almost lost his show to him.
- Throughout the first season, Joe played a completely different instrument every episode.
- Mortimer can't get through a single "Name That Song" without giving away the answers, even if Joe isn't playing anything recognizable at all!
- Subverted when Joe very obviously hums "When The Saints Go Marching In" and Mortimer has no idea what he's doing.
- Joe's various illegal activities and subsequent jailtime.
- The Scrappy: Bubba.
- Stylistic Suck: Pretty much the entire point of the show.
- So Unfunny, It's Funny: Anytime Mortimer attempts to actually be funny
- Take That: Numerous pot-shots are taken at Jay Leno throughout the series, some subtly, some much more overt. "I have more cars than Jay Leno." "And you're just as douchey."
- Take That, Scrappy!: When Mortimer shoots Bubba.