Have the adventure of your life, keeping up with the Anthonys...
Minnesota 'Minny' Anthony and his identical twin brother Donny are two brothers on rather poor terms with each other, who review adventure films. One is an Adorkable
fan of Indiana Jones and all things... adventurous, while the other is a gleeful troll who insists on inserting himself into every review just to get on Minny's nerves. Hilarity Ensues
Starring Jonathan Anthony, whom achieved small notice with his impressions of Heath Ledger's Joker on YouTube
, the show was originally intended to review adventure films, but for "Special" episodes he branches out into different genres. The show has received relatively positive feedback, and only looks to become increasingly popular.
Minnesota Anthony Reviews Contains examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Donny’s specialty.
- Acting for Two: Minny and Donny are played by the same person.
- Berserk Button: Both Minny and Donny seem to have hair-trigger tempers over the slightest of things, but most notable is when Donny prepares to literally explode at the mere mention of the fridge scene from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
- Buffy Speak
- Call Back: A moment in the review of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey where Minny asks Donny if he would have had the filmmakers actually smack the actors around the set instead of using CGI doubles. Donny reacts by thinking about his answer, which references when he did the same thing to a similar question in the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull review.
- The Cameo: God Himself, in the first part of the KOTCS review.
- Caustic Critic: Notably averted with Minny, who is insistent on finding the good points in a film to the point of absurdity. Played straight with Donny, though with elements of Deconstruction.
- Covert Pervert: Subverted. Donny is quite clearly a perv, though he seems to not realize half of his comments reveal this.
- Minny also shares Donny's affection for inadvertently lascivious comments
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon:
Donny: If you don’t let me do that review [Kingdom of the Crystal Skull] with you, I’ll see to it you are strangled with your own whip!
- Deadpan Snarker: Donny is quite competent in this department, though Minny gets his moments as well.
- Department of Redundancy Department: In The Mummy Returns review:
Minny: The Mummy Returns returns us[…]
- Development Hell: The review of The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. Word of God says this is due to writer's block, but he claims he's overcome it, and the review should be online sometime late April-early May.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: When Minny accidentally brings up the infamous ‘fridge’ scene from KOTCS.
- Disproportionate Retribution: How does Minny respond to a joke Donny tells about the Holocaust? He punches him in the face. Of course!
- Also occurs when Donny is terrorized by a loan shark for the grand sum of 10 cents.
- Even Fanboys Have Standards: In the Mummy Returns review, there comes a point where Minny finds himself unable to defend a stupid moment from the film.
- Fanboy: Minnesota Anthony for the Indiana Jones films and, to a lesser extent, the whole adventure genre.
- Gag Censor: When Donny mentions a spoiler, his words are drowned out by a shout of SPOOOOOIIIIILLLLLEEEEER!!!
- The Gimmick: The whole concept of a fan of adventure movies who dresses like Indiana Jones.
- Godwin's Law: Donny accuses Minny of this in Part 2 of the KOTCS review.
Minny: You compared the film to the Holocaust!
Donny: That’s Godwin’s law right there!
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: So much so that the Raiders of the Lost Ark review has Donny say: "What a scumbucket!"
- Heh Heh, You Said X: Donny loves to chuckle whenever Minny accidentally says something that can be taken as dirty.
- Hypocritical Humor: At one point in the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom review, Donny starts screaming about how much he hated Willie Scott’s screaming.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: Sometimes Minny’s last phrase before the title sequence has these.
- Lampshade Hanging: Often, as the fourth wall is constantly broken.
- Large Ham: Donny, when confronted with an aspect of a movie he really hates.
- Limited Wardrobe: Donny wears the very same shirt in every review, which, appropriately, has the phrase, Here comes trouble! on it.
- Long List: See the Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking example above.
- Musical Episode: Briefly in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey review, Minny and Donny sing their opinion to a generic tune, as homage to the film's generic songs.
- Not So Different: Minny likes to think he’s above Donny, but sometimes mimics his habit of snarking.
- Odd Couple: An obsessed adventure movie fan, and a troll.
- Overly-Long Gag: Donny sneezing over speakerphone in the Mummy Returns review.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!:
Donny (About Willie Scott): She’s completely incompetent, she does nothing of real importance, and most of all, she WON’T-STOP-SCREAMING!
- Rage Breaking Point: See Berserk Button.
- Real Song Theme Tune: Of course, the Indiana Jones theme for the title sequence.
- Refuge in Audacity: Donny’s sense of humor often comes across as this.
- Running Gag: Minny accidentally saying something that can be interpreted wrongly.
- Sarcasm Mode
- The Scream: When Minny rewatches the ‘bug scene’ from The Mummy.
- Shout-Out: The opening credits are an almost shot-for-shot replica of Indiana Jones introduction in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Also, he punches the screen in a manner quite similar to Jeremy Jahns.
- The outfit is vaguely familiar too...
- Donny at one point quotes Palpatine from Revenge of the Sith in the Mummy Returns review.
- Sick and Wrong: Minny is easily disturbed by some of Donny’s more outrageous comments.
- Unexpected Genre Change: See the Musical Episode example above.
- Unsound Effect: DOUCHEBAG!
- X Meets Y: Red Letter Media meets Nostalgia Chick.