Web Video: Macross Abridged
This page is about Macross Abridged
, a YouTube
channel run by Hawk Abridging
that seems to be trying to abridge most of the series in the Macross franchise, including: Super Dimension Fortress Macross
, Macross 7
, and Macross Frontier
. The series are pretty good, though they are updated sporadically.
Macross the Abridged Series
,An abridged series of the Humongous Mecha
classic. This show follows the crew and citizens of the SDF Macross as they quest to evade the not so evil Zentradi and to return to Earth. This series exaggerates the characters to the point of lunacy as they all try to survive the hardships of space. The heroes are goofy, the captain unhinged, the damsel’s are genre savvy, and the aliens confused.
Five episodes are so far out.
This show provides examples of:
- The Ace: Roy in the second episode, all off screen of course.
- Accidental Misnaming: Roy tends to call Hikaru the American name “Rick”, to the point that Minmei thinks that is his actual name. He doesn’t bother to correct her when he thinks that her thinking he is American will give him a chance with her
- Achievements in Ignorance: Hikaru manages to survive a heated dogfight in the first episode, thinking it was a video game. Unfortunately, the minute he finds out he panics and crashes.
- Adaptation Personality Change: Almost everyone.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Many of the cutaways to the Zentradi feel like this.
- Big Brother Worship: Hikaru seems to view Roy in this light.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Captain Global. Despite his growing insanity, he seems to be a capable and effective leader.
- Captain Oblivious: Captain Global. An entire force is wiped out while he gives a monologue that goes from discussing their military might to questioning the logic of Zeta Gundam.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Captain Global seems to have turned into one of these.
- The Ditz: Pretty sure Hikaru qualifies as this at times.
- Deadpan Snarker: Misa, along with be the Straight Man and Only Sane Man on the bridge, she also falls into this role at times.
- She shares it with Vanessa as well.
Captain Global: "Where did those shots come from?”
Vanessa : “I don’t know, from space?”
- Dysfunction Junction: The bridge crew led by Captain Global seems to be this. Though Misa would say that it is due to Space Madness.
- Innocent Innuendo: The long sequence with Minmei and Hikaru in episode 2
- Large Ham: Hikaru.
Hikaru : “The mechs ARE PEOPLE!”
- Lethal Chef: Claudia’s cooking can take out an entire squadron on her own.
- The Other Darrin: The series has going through quite a few cast changes since it started, including the main character, Hikaru, supporting character, Claudia, and both villains.
- Running Gag: Many.
- For some reason, Claudia seems to be a terrible cook.
- Macross Missile Massacre (obviously)
- The “synchronized shooting scene” where the Zentradi attacked with water ballet style music playing.
- Precision F-Strike: Captain Global has one when the engines on the Macross break down on lift off.
- Sanity Slippage: Captain Global starts out as a competent and balanced commander, but the stress of the launch day attack seems to have made him snap.
- Shout-Out: It’s an abridged series, so there are several of course.
- Hikaru constantly being called Rick and adopting the name Rick Hunter is most likely a reference to the character’s name in the original English adaptation of Macross known as Robotech.
- The first episode contains several to Top Gun.
- Danger Zone could also be a reference to a certain other comedy series Archer.
- Soylent Green
- Stay in the Kitchen: Subverted. Arguably, the most competent characters are the women on the bridge.
- Straight Man: Misa. Poor, poor, Misa. She also doubles as the Only Sane Man on the bridge crew.
- Theme Music Powerup: Happens in the first episode when the Macross TV theme wells up as the SDF Macross lifts off…only for the engines to break down and the music to speed up as it crashes to the ground.
- Vocal Evolution: Most noticeable with Roy. His voice actor seems to continually take the character in a more relaxed direction, whereas it seemed rather forced at the beginning.
- Work Com: The antics of the bridge crew seems to be developing into one of these.
The second Macross series to be abridged. This show follows the space band Fire Bomber as their lead singer Nekki Basara pilots his Humongous Mecha
into battle to sing to the evil alien attackers, much to the bafflement and irritation of the main villain who also serves as the series Lemony Narrator
This show provides examples of:
- Children Are Innocent: Mylene definitely qualifies as this.
- Deadpan Snarker: The narrator and main villain, Gepelnitch, does this during his running commentary on the series.
- Dysfunction Junction: It seems like most of the characters fit this.
- Greek Chorus: Gepelnitch acts as one sometimes.
- Epic Rocking: Basara goes into battle and rocks out on the battlefield to drive away the enemy.
- Lemony Narrator: Gepelnitch of course. He comments on the events as they unfold with irritation and bewilderment.
- Let Me Tell You a Story: How Gepelnitch introduces the series.
- Really Dead Montage: Gepelnitch opens up episode 2 by showing all of the pilots that Basara got injured or killed.
- Pre Ass Kicking One Liner: "I’m going to drain you like a sink!" is Gigile’s attempt at a witty one liner to start the battle, much to the shame of his boss, Gepelnitch who points out that Gigile isn’t the smartest soldier out there.
- Red Shirt: It seems like every pilot that isn’t Basara.
- Running Gag: A few:
- Gepelnitch being confused by the actions of Basara and the rest of the crew.
- Gepelnitch getting irritated with Gigile being incompetent.
- Basara ignoring other people’s complaints about what he is doing.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: Courtesy of Basara. People are dying around him while he is singing about following his dream and asking people to buy his new album.
- Unreliable Narrator: Gepelnitch. Sometimes things don’t go as he expects.