Littlest Pet Shop: Popular
(more commonly abbreviated to LPS: Popular
) is a YouTube Web Original
series created by SophieGTV and made with Littlest Pet Shop
It tells the story of Savannah "Savvy" Reed, whose best friend is Brooklyn "Brooke" Hayes. Although Brooke has long since moved away, Savvy still thinks of her as a friend and is naturally thrilled when she finds out she's moving to Orange County, where Brooke lives.
When Savvy starts her first day at her new high school, however, she both meets two new friends; Angelina and Genevieve, and discovers that her old friend is the Alpha Bitch
of the school, complete with a boyfriend; Sage
, and a Girl Posse
. A rivalry quickly starts in place of the previous friendship between the two, with Savvy eventually winding herself into a confusing web of relationship drama, grapples for social status, conflicting loyalties, and an eating disorder on top of it all.
You can watch all seventeen episodes of it here.
Currently, season one has been finished and season two is just starting.
- Abusive Parents: Brooke's mother is almost never around and, when she is, she treats her own daughter with coldness and contempt.
- Alliterative Name: Rachel Rivera.
- Alpha Bitch: Brooke.
- Backstabbing the Alpha Bitch: In the season 1 finale, Rachel pulls a Heel-Face Turn and reveals what Brooke's plan had been for the party—namely, to dump a mixture of liquids on Savvy to ruin her fur—as well as Brooke's other secrets, before she and Alicia officially ditch Brooke.
- Beautiful All Along: Savvy gets this kind of makeover later on, complete with The Glasses Gotta Go.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: A weird variation. In the season 1 finale, Brooke is so furious at seeing Sage and Savvy together that she launches herself at Savvy, raking her claws down her face and leaving deep cuts. Understandably, a big deal is made out of it, with Sage telling Savvy she needs to go to the hospital to get them treated. However, in season 2, while Savvy's scars are mentioned, they aren't visibly seen on her, making them more of Informed Attributes than anything else.
- Beta Bitch: Rachel seems to be this for Brooke. Until the season 1 finale.
- Beta Couple: Genevieve/Nathan, as of the season 1 finale.
- Big Man on Campus: Sage.
- Blondes Are Evil/Cats Are Mean: Brooke, who is a cat with blonde fur, is Orange County Day School's resident Alpha Bitch.
- Break the Haughty/Humiliation Conga: Hoo, boy. The season one finale is all about Brooke's plan to break Savvy falling completely apart before her eyes and all her past actions coming back to bite her in the tail. Hard.
- Cool Loser: Savvy, Angelina, and Genevieve, at first. They get more popular in later episodes.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Savvy fears she's acting like one when Bridgette arrives on the scene and seems to be a bit too close to Sage.
- Disappeared Dad: Brooke's father is never seen and barely mentioned, though it's implied he either died or simply left.
- The Ditz: Alicia's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French: Bridgette, a Foreign Exchange Student from France.
- Foreign Exchange Student: Bridgette in season 2, who is from France.
- Girlfriend in Canada: According to Sage, Bridgette has a boyfriend named Philippe back in France. May be subverted, however, because at the very end of the episode, we see Tom in Paris, implying that he is Bridgette's boyfriend.
- Girl Posse: Rachel and Alicia for Brooke. Subverted in the season one finale, however, when they get fed up with Brooke and ditch her as part of her Humiliation Conga.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: As part of her makeover, Savvy removes her glasses.
- In-Series Nickname: "Savvy" for Savannah and "Gen" for Genevieve.
- Love Triangle: Several:
- The main one in focus throughout the series is Brooke —> Sage <— Savvy. Savvy wins out.
- The second most prominent triangle is Tom —> Savvy <— Sage. Sage wins.
- A Beta Couple example is Rachel —> Nathan <— Genevieve. Genevieve wins.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Brooke almost quotes this trope word for word when realizing that Gigi, her pet cricket, has gone missing because of her actions.
- Nice Guy: Sage and Tom.
- Official Couple: Sage/Brooke and, eventually, Savvy/Tom. Until Sage dumps Brooke in the season 1 finale and Savvy and Tom break up. In season 2, Savvy/Sage becomes the new Official Couple.
- Operation Blank: Brooke calls her plan to humiliate Savvy "Operation: Fry the Sausage" (since Savvy is a dachshund and her derogatory nickname is "sausage").
- Rich Bitch: Brooke.
- Passive-Aggressive Kombat: Brooke and Savannah have an exchange like this in episode 22.
- Romantic False Lead: Tom, who is introduced mainly to be an obstacle between Sage and Savvy.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Brooke's pet cricket, Gigi. Who now lives with Savannah.
- The Rival: Brooke and Savvy to each other.
- Satellite Character: Angelina and Genevieve have some personality in the pilot episode, but eventually lose less and less purpose over the series outside of their roles as Savvy's best friends. In contrast, however, are Rachel and Alicia, who start out as this for Brooke but get their own personalities later on.
- Satellite Love Interest: We don't know much about Sage other than that he's a Nice Guy and that he and Savvy like each other.
- Stripperiffic: Brooke's outfit at the party in the season 1 finale is apparently supposed to be skimpy. Given that she's a cat who lives in a world where the animal inhabitants don't wear clothes most of the time, though, it doesn't really give off that impression.
- Teen Drama: Has the basic plot of one, but with the teens replaced by plastic toys.
- Two Guys to a Team: The main cast, as of season 2, stars eight characters, but only two (Sage and Tom) are male.
- We Used to Be Friends: The entire plot is kicked off by Brooke and Savvy, who were best friends in elementary school, turning against each other when Brooke coldly rejects Savvy as a friend.
- Wild Teen Party: Brooke holds a costume party (called the "party of the century") in the season 1 finale, where the plot takes place.