Web Video: Kämpfer Abridged
"It's the story about a guy who turns into a girl, but it's not Ranma, it's Kämpfer!" -Opening themeKämpfer Abridged
is a Gag Dub
and Affectionate Parody
of the Kämpfer
anime. This Abridged Series
was created by Masako X
... and if you thought the original series was crazy before, what with the main character, a guy, transforming into a girl, and a crazy plot involving a harem of Action Girls
and disemboweled stuffed animals, then check this one out. It's a great way to pass the time while you wait for the official release of the translated anime and manga.
The 11-episode series can be found here
(episodes 1-10) and here
This series provides examples of:
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Burnt-Alive Lion carried Sakura through those early years of puberty, and helped her practice all the time!
- Er, I mean, with her drawing! She wants to use him as a model!
- All Women Are Lustful: Boy howdy! Even moreso than the original.
- Bigger on the Inside: The plushies keep a hot-tub and a flatscreen TV inside Natsuru's trashcan.
- Bland-Name Product: "Let's play the Packy game!" "Don't you mean 'Pocky'?"
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Sakura does this a lot.
- Brick Joke: Takahata still wants his ***ing money.
- Crossdressing Voices: Both sides of Natsuru are voiced by MasakoX
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: Courtesy of Takahata and his spoons.
It's the story about a guy who turns into a girl but it's not Ranma
, it's Kampfer! It's German! ...And the girls like the guy, but he can't tell, which is funny. And there's a bad guy as usual, but I can't tell, because there's so many girls who want the guy, and the guy-girl too, and that's pretty funny, so let's make it funnier! It's Kampfer Abridged!
- Fake American: MasakoX is doing a damn fine job.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: LittleKuriboh, Takahata101, Lanipator, KaiserNeko, Rina-chan, Kirbopher, Whip0fAlchemy, hbi2k, Nowacking, purpleeyeswtf... and of course, MasakoX!
- Homage: An extended one to Team Fortress 2. Most of the nine characters involved in the Kampferspiracy corresponds in voice and personality to a Team Fortress 2 character class. In order of revelation: Akane is Heavy Weapons Girl, Mikoto is the Scout, Rika is the Engineer, Hitomi the Soldier, Sayaka the Demoman and Ryouko is the Medic. The Spy? The Big Bad, of course (Sakura). And, as an Imagine Spot, Natsuru is revealed to be the Pyro (itself a Mythology Gag towards the idea that, despite sounding nominally male, the Pyro might be a woman). Only Shizuku doesn't get a class (Sniper).
- How Do I Shot Fire?
- Idiot Ball: Lampshaded when the Genre Savvy Shizuku leaves Natsuru alone with the Big Bad:
Shizuku: In any case, I won't let you out of my sight.
Sakura Oh, Shizuku! Would you mind of I talk to Natsuru for a second?
Shizuku: Oh, sure! [thinking] Dammit, why am I so compliant?
- Incredibly Lame Pun:
Shizuku: Since when did cats become experts in dating advice?
Electrocuted Kitty: Well, I am a pussy.
- Inner Monologue: Natsuru has lots of it in this series.
- I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Shizuku admits this in Ep. 10. When asked what she'll do if she DOES get him, she admits that she has no idea.
- I Think You Broke Him: "He started to think too much!"
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: sort of, immediately after "pussy" pun:
Shizuku: Yeah, we're ending this conversation right here.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Abridged!Sakura has dropped her canon counterpart's facade like a hot rock and dives headlong into Natsuru's pants. —Err, this trope.
- Murder Is the Best Solution: Kampfer!Akane's trigger-happiness gets a lot of lampshades.
Natsuru: Don't you have any solutions that don't use guns!?
Akane: Uh... *fires off another volley into the ceiling*
- Oblivious to Love: Natsuru's memetic density is a frequent source of humor.
Akane: I wonder if it's obvious to him that I have a total crush on him and that I want him all up inside me and to ride me like a wild rodeo cowboy?
Natsuru: *vacant expression* *sound of wind blowing*
Akane: Nah, I think I'm safe.
- Stupidity Brain Hemorrhage: When asked why he's so enamored with Sakura and not his other love-interests, Natsuru bleeds from the ears before changing the subject.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Strangled Dog tends to get very long-winded when talking about how miserable he is.
- Straw Bitch Has A Point: Invoked and Played for Laughs. Sakura, apparently thinking the two Natsurus are different people, gives Kampfer!Natsuru a resounding "Reasons The Male Natsuru Sucks" Speech. Everything she says is true, some of it even generous.
- Stylistic Suck: Taka's intro to the series, which consists of him tapping empty glasses with spoons while singing a song which he most likely made up off the top of his head.
- Talking to Himself: Natsuru's various body parts (mouth, brain, eyes) will talk to each other at times. All voiced by MasakoX.
- Largely averted at other times, though, which is quite impressive with five main characters (Natsuru, Sakura, Akane, Shizuku and Mikoto) in the title card. Even wilder, Akane and Mikoto need two voice actors because they're voiced by men (Takahata and Lanipator) when they're powered up. (Clearly, being a member of Team Four Star has its advantages.)
- Too Dumb to Live: Natsuru is dumber here than in the original.
- Actually considering how dumb he is in the anime, he might be slightly smarter.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Harikiri Tiger