Web Video: Internet Personality Vangelus
"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Internet Personality Vangelus, here with a review..."Internet Personality Vangelus
is a reviewer on YouTube
, primarily of various toys from several different franchises
. His upbeat and quick style have made him quite popular, as well has his fantastic radio-announcer voice. His reviews are also known for The Subtitles, text comments that run along the bottom of the review and lambaste his performance, dialogue, editing, filming, or just abuse him in general
Also the host of WTF@TFW
, and a DJ on The Cape Radio
and a member of
the That Guy with the Glasses
team. He also has his own website
The Vangelus Review contains examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming - Vangelus cannot say "Rosie Huntington-Whiteley".
- A Fool and His New Money Are Soon Parted - How the Subtitles views Vangelus's purchasing habits.
- Actor Allusion - A complicated one involving David Kaye's dual roles as the narrator for Enzyte commercials and the voice of Beast Wars Megatron.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot - The Subtitles
- Always A Bigger Drill
- Animated Actor - The title font to Vangelus's film class project Questionnaire is the same one used for the Subtitles, ergo the Subtitles are listed in the credits for providing the title.
- Asshole Victim - Iron Man and War Machine, once Skeletor Took a Level in Badass.
- Author Appeal - Insectoid Bipeds. "Chitter chitter!"
"If you're into the bug Transformers
like I am..."
Trust me, NONE of you are into bipedal insects like Vangelus is... into... bipedal insects.
- The same appeal forces him to love the Mitsuoka Orochi, a sports car H. R. Giger could have designed.
- Axe Crazy: Revenge Of The Fallen Optimus Prime.
- Beam Spam - The Spreem Cyclone. "That's actually how Omega Spreem ended the
world universe once several times, until he got bored and restored it."
- Beneath the Mask - His V-Chats on That Guy with the Glasses depict him as a Serial Killer, Combat Sadomasochist, and Psychopathic Manchild all around... with the exception of his interviews with toy creators, in which he presents himself as a happy, nerdy, passably well adjusted human being this more or less being the real Vangelus. Unfortunately, at the end of one interview compilation, he begins to tear the mask away...
- Berserk Button - Don't breath on the microphone, or the Subtitles will brush your gums open with nails.
- Bread, Eggs, Breaded Eggs - His and Subtitles' description of the Corbot V War Ax:
Vangelus: It's hit that beautiful, perfect size between practical and psychopathic.
Subtitles: Practical psychopathy, of course.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall - One of Vangelus's out-of-character blogs ended with him telling the viewers, "Also, there's no subtitles because, guys, the Subtitles don't really exist. Seriously. There's a thing called the fourth wall. Chyah." Or is there?
- Brain Bleach - What you'll need to survive his account of the conception of the SH Figuarts line.
- Bullying a Dragon - Omega Spreem only made an already ticked off Gundam Arios madder by repeatedly insulting him to his face after he was caught making a move on his daughter. Archer didn't take it well either...
- Caustic Critic - MAJORLY averted, though parodied in his earlier reviews where he challenges those who disagree with his reviews to a fight on the internet!
vangelous U R A SHEEP >:(!!
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: The Subtitles tend to engage in this (sometimes unwillingly), just in case you missed the massive bits of yellow on Animated Bumblebee's hood, along with the yellow on his roof or the yellow on the doors.
- Cowboy Bebop at His Computer - Deliberately parodied in some of his reviews for series he doesn't follow, such as Gundam 00:
"You can also pose these Dual GN-Drives pretty well. And yeah, see, I knew some terminology there! 'Dual GN-Drives!'' That’s how this guy cruises the spaceways
and looks for his lost brother, Racer X
- Crack Is Cheaper - In-Universe, The Subtitle's opinion of SH Figuarts in particular, but toys in general. Outside the reviews, Vangelus also finds the various Kamen Rider roleplay toys to be this... and he's the pusher.
- Cross Player - Vangelus's preferred internet roleplaying style (well, maybe not his only preferred style...)
- Crossover - With Apollo Z. Hack for a review of Revoltech Sci-Fi Gamera. See also Hostile Show Takeover.
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon - Revenge Of The Fallen Optimus Prime treaten Megatron with cutting out one of his internal parts and using it as a condom.
- Deadpan Snarker - The Subtitles.
- Department of Redundancy Department: His April Fools Day 2014 review is full of examples, such as "the elbow joint bends at the elbow", "look at how scuplted that scuplt is", and describing every single joint on a figure as moving "in and out".
- Disproportionate Retribution - ROTF Optimus Prime disembowels and murders Megatron for... scraping against parked civilian cars.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?
- His "In Light Of Recent Events" video which "examined" some of the then-recent controversy over another video reviewer.
- His preparations to have the Subtitles transferred over to a newer, High-Definition camera were initially thought by the Subtitles to be him cheating with another camera.
- Any time a weapon telescopes out, folds open, or otherwise grows larger and longer, it's a safe bet that some kind of Enzyte-related joke will be made.
- Epic Fail
- Exploitation Film - A part of Sideswipe's transformation involves scissor-blades sticking out his sides. This is, of course, an homage to Sideswipe's earlier film debut in Attack of the Scissor-Car!
- Face Full of Alien Wing-Wong - In his review of Sci-Fi Revoltech Alien.
- Fantastic Racism: Hybrid Style Optimus Prime (who happens to be really short) orders Drift to get back to "his corner" (with the Japanese toys) to avoid "being around a foreign toy like him" drawing attention towards how short he is. This is in spite of the fact that Drift isn't from Japan and is an Autobot like Optimus.
- Foreshadowing - The Subtitles hates it when Vangelus foreshadows things that are less than 10 minutes away. The Hot Toys Batman review, meanwhile, foreshadowed a review of the Joker that showed up three years later. On a different website.
- Fuuma Shuriken: Discovered the Knight Morpher Screecher's four wings could combine into one as something of an All There in the Manual Easter Egg.
- Get Rich Quick Scheme - Parodied in In Light Of Recent Events. You cannot become fabulously wealthy off youtube.
- Gratuitous English
- Gratuitous Japanese - Whenever possible.
"Come now, Durifuto-Kun! I can misetei your fighting chikara is not genkii!"
- Hostile Show Takeover - The Subtitles got into the cameras of other TF reviewers and harassed them. One was even Driven to Suicide.
"This is why we don't work with Vangelus."
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain - Even after Skeletor Took a Level in Badass, he still gets his ass kicked left and right by other toys.
- Innocent Innuendo
"... The final review from the Stolen Chinese Foursome
that I received shortly before Christmas."
HE MEANS TOYS.
- Insistent Terminology - Occasionally, other reviewers of upcoming toys will describe the figure they have as "pre-release". Every such toy reviewed by Internet Personality Vangelus is a Stolen Chinese Toy.
- Cyclonus's drones are known as "And His Armada".
- Actually, the Cyclonii are Cyclonus, "The Warrior", and "And His Armada". Ignore the fact that only two appear in the film...
- Any third-party transforming robot action figure will be referred to strictly by the name the third-party company gave it. The transformer character being referenced by the toy will usually only be referred to in an indirect way, and no indication is ever given that, for example, Warbot Defender has anything to do with Springer except share a vaguely similar head. He claims to do this because it upsets fanboys.
- Jigsaw Puzzle Plot - There's some kind of subplot running through the videos regarding mysterious figures, Mudflap and MC Paddington, the fate of the universe, and the resolution of his video camera.
- Large Ham - Oh, he is very hammy. So, so very hammy.
- Mind Screw - The Subtitles takes quite a while to recover from an odd juxtaposition of out-of-context clips from two separate takes.
"But, uh, I've decided I want to die a bit more gloriously than that, maybe mauled by a polar bear at a zoo. That'd be pretty good—"
- Moe Anthropomorphism - A fan-made one for the Subtitles — hence "Subtitles-tan" — in the form of a twin-tailed, blue-haired, tripod-legged camera girl.
- Mundane Made Awesome:
- The one rule above all others Vangelus abides by. We're talking about a man who puts on his sunglasses in the morning and declares "Henshin!"
- The video of him assembling a box for keeping an action figure inside.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Drift sounds a lot like Christopher Walken, to the point where he has been given the Fan Nickname of "Driftopher Walken".
- Noodle Incident
- The review of Animated Cybertronian Optimus Prime ends with Vangelus defending his preferences regarding toys and other things but ends before the second branch can go too far.
- However, the recent review of G1 Megatron's face upgrade has no such early ending, and we hear all about Vangelus's dreams.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: In the SRC Dancougar review, Vangelus says he doesn't know the name of Dancougar's sword, but hopes it's something awesome like "Dankuuken" — which it is. The Subtitles insist that this isn't a scripted joke and Vangelus really didn't know the sword's name at the time.
- Not So Above It All - The Subtitles expressed some geeky moments of their own, especially in earlier videos. In particular, in the review of Kamen Rider Ryuki's Ride Shooter, Subs responded to the bike's spring-loaded seat mechanism with "...nnf" — which was also its reaction when Vangelus mentioned Mark Dacostas. It's also quite fond of Kaoru Kino and Sakuya Tachibana.
- Only in It for the Money - The Subtitles gets paid on a per-line basis.
- Overused Running Gag
- Papa Wolf: Gundam Arios. Omega Spreem should not have made a move on his daughter...
- Product Placement: Spoofed in his April Fools review, where he stops every minute or so to pitch...just about everything, from Coke Zero to a particular brand of tape measure. This includes spending about a minute solid at the start where he goes on about how awesome KB Toys is.
- Promoted Fanboy - Vangelus is the voice of TransTech Shockwave.
- Psychopathic Man Child - How the Subtitles view Vangelus.
- Quote Mine - The Subtitles abuses context every chance it gets, and revels in Vangelus's sometimes poor phrasing...
"This guy is a bit finicky and wide."
Vangelus himself is finicky and wide.
- Real Men Wear Pink - Omega Spreem
- Ridiculously Human Robots - The Subtitles again. Possibly Vangelus himself, as the dangerous life of a toy reviewer has caused him once to be incapacitated and briefly replaced by Auxiliary Vangelus.
Ah cripes, you're the Auxiliary that reeks of bacon and dental drills, too. :(
- Running Gag
- The Subtitles taking a quote from Vangelus out of context.
- His epic Fan Fic, Love Across The Universe: Can You Recall It?.
- Every time he reviews a car, he says "And he rolls!... Okay, let's transform him." This is because car-mode Transformers usually have few gimmicks outside of rolling, and because a surprising amount of them have little or no ground clearance, meaning that whether or not they roll actually is a factor.
- Ultra Magnus. He can deal with it.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: The Subtitles claims to be "on strike" in regards to the V-Builds due to their length. When Vangelus finally put together the Master Grade Unicorn Gundam seven years after purchasing it, the Subtitles considered ending the strike in order to watch, but bugged out after noticing that the episode was just shy of 90 minutes.
- Serious Business - Parodied constantly.
- Sitcom Archnemesis - Vangelus himself is one to Pushing Up Roses...though he might be averting the "harmless" part since his vlogs show him gathering weapons like Gaia Memories and O Medals...
- Spin Attack - The Spreem Cyclone
- Straight Man: The Subtitles end up as this, in light of Vangelus's common absentmindedness.
- Tastes Like Feet - Described the gum that came with a candy toy he did as a V-Builds tasted like plastic and hair (with a bit of sugar and maybe fruit flavor).
- The Nicknamer: Vangelus comes up with some rather colorful names for his Stolen Chinese Toys, such as And His Armada, Spoons II, Delaserbendour, and Baron Ransack von Joy Universe Cyclonus, RotF Dirtboss, RotF Dead End, and RotF Ransack, respectively.
- The Stinger
- Tsundere - Not the Subtitles.
And that guy who called me Tsundere? He's a woman now. Cover your tracks better.
- Totally Radical - Since the name "Vangelus" tends to get taken a lot (due to the musician Vangelis) the actual YouTube account is "Vange1us", which he insists "shows you're street-smart to the internets, and I'm takin' it back for the kids." Occasionally, when referring specifically to his Youtube channel, he pronounces it "Vange-one-us."
- Ultimate Showdownof Ultimate Destiny: Vangelus uses this trope whenever he can. MC Paddington stealing Omega Spreem's "wimminz", Skeletor stomping all over Iron Man and Riddick after being "modernized" by Dr. Breen, only to get stomped in turn by Exceed Gills, who in turn encounters a Xenomorph; perhaps the biggest example was the "Hi-Price for the Final Definition" mini-series, where Vangelus manages to fight off a Zonderized camera and The Subtitles with a GaoGaiGar toy-review, while Omega Spreem and his new protege face off against Ruühlbähr and and evil Phone Braver.
- Ultimate Universe - His videos on That Guy with the Glasses fall somewhere between this and The Remake.