Web Video / Gurren Lagann The Satire
To summarize, this is a Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Abridged Seriesnote
, created by Semisoma01
and currently available on his "Azure Crow
Sadly, both of his accounts have been terminated but the series can now be found on Simon Giha's channel.
This work provides examples of:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: How Simon gets Nia to cheer up after Lordgenome's defeat.
Simon: NIA LOOK! AIR!
Nia: (gasp) It's everywhere!
- Badass Boast: Simon gives us a good one in Act XI.
Gimmy: *gulp, multiple times* *high-pitched voice* Yes?
Simon: Then I commend your bravery, and award you Gurren.
- Butt-Monkey: Viral. Lordgenome summarized it when Viral was beaten again near the end of chapter 2.
Lordgenome: Note to self, make Viral think he can win more often, seeing him get bitchslapped around is fuuuuuuuuun.
- Poor Kittan gets this as well, especially near the end, despite his efforts of creating plumbing, money, and other wondrous things that society needs he still gets ridiculed because Dayakka created anime.
- Buffy Speak: If you listen really close to what to some of the low-level Beast Men say, it tends to fall underneath this trope. The most prime example is the Beast man in Episode 1, Act 1.
- Calling Your Attacks: Somehow taken even further than the original.
- Canon Discontinuity: Episode 4, as per usual, but they did summarize the episode, but they mostly skipped it entirely.
Simon: You can't do that! You can't just skip reality!
Simon: Smooth bro, smooth...
- Cloudcuckoolander: Lordgenome and Nia.
- Kamina also has his moments:
- Completely Missing the Point: Kamina, upon finding a skeleton wearing his father's cape.
- Crossdressing Voices: Several examples, but Nia is the most interesting in that she still sounds like a girl despite now being voiced by a dude.
- Deadpan Snarker: Simon and (later) Gimmy.
- Departmentof Redundancy Department: Simon's introduction in episode 1. "My name is Simon. I don't have a last name, so you can just call me 'Simon the Digger.' Why 'The Digger', you ask? Because it's my job. What job, you ask? My job is to dig. Dig what, you ask? *cheerfully* To dig...a tunnel!"
- From Chapter 1, act 6: "Give back my battleship, you ape, or I'll sink it! I'll sink your battleship!" (also doubles as a Shout-Out)
- Evil Sounds Deep: Inverted with Lordgenome, who sound like an evil, almost psychotic, Mickey Mouse.
- Framing Device
Simon: Today's lesson...(pre-Timeskip)
Rossiu: Today's Judgement...(post-Timeskip)
- Hero-Worshipper: Kittan to Kamina.
- Insistent Terminology: Apparently, this isn't an Abridged Series.
- All Periods Are PMS: Rossiu's first guess as to why Nia turned into Messenger!Nia.
Rossiu: Maybe it's her time of the month?
Simon: I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: Kamina summons a gunman in episode 4 by repeating a chant incorrectly.
- Oh, Crap!: Gimmy does this in act X part 2. He even says the words verbatum.
- Pointy-Haired Boss: Lordgenome.
- Pragmatic Adaptation: This series manages to keep the comedy at a highpoint, but also manages to mix in the moments from the movies and keep in the epic moments from the anime.
- Shout-Out: Three instances in Episode 4: The Wizard of Oz, H.P. Lovecraft, and The Lord of the Rings.
- Also, the whole reasoning behind Kamina assuming rights as Team Dai-Gurren's leader in Chapter 1, Act V is taken straight from Gilbert and Sullivan's The Piratesof Penzance.
- "Give back my battleship, you ape, or I'll sink it! I'll sink your battleship!"
- Lordgenome and the four generals are basically a giant shout-out to the Predacons.
- Then there's this gem from Ch. 3, Act XII:
Rossiu: Soldier, mind explaining what you're doing underground?
- Shown Their Work: TheAzureCrow has done his homework about the series, you can see this in his User Comments, where he basically gives out the correct answer to most questions concerning the series.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Kamina.
- Third-Person Person: Kamina does this quite often.
- This Is Gonna Suck:
- Viral's reaction to finding out that Kamina's dead and that it's going to be a long eternity.
- Post-timeskip, this seems to be Gimmy's reaction to pretty much everything.
- Too Dumb to Live: Kamina and Lordgenome
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Kamina
- Unwanted Harem: Kamina mistakenly believes that Yoko's group is one of these.
- Up to Eleven
- What Could Have Been: During the time-skip, Kittan wanted to build a global-scale Military Defense System armed with Spiral Weaponry, which would have been perfect for fighting the Anti-Spirals. Rossiu decided to fund the ghostbusters
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Viral bragged about being immortal for all of 60 seconds, then Simon kicked his ass and told him Kamina was already dead. "This is gonna be a looooong eternity" pretty much sums up his feelings on the matter.
- Viral complaining about his immortality now seems to be a running joke in the series. Being immortal doesn't keep him from feeling pain or getting hungry.
- Why Don't You Marry It?