Web Video: Fruits Basket Abridged
Fruits Basket Abridged
is an Abridged Series
of the overwhelmingly popular shojo
series Fruits Basket
. It's the brain child of Da Games Elite, written, directed, and edited by him. The characters are all voiced by his friends and associates, having premiered on New Years Eve, 2011. From the beginning, they have insisted every episode is already recorded and finished, implying it will complete its 26 episode run on an episode a week schedule.
Like most series, it's an Affectionate Parody
, but at many points, it employs some dramatic elements, and even, by Word of God
, elements of Deconstruction.
Episodes can be found on YouTube
. In order to maintain the series in the event of the channel being taken down, a Blip channel simultaneously uploads the vids.
- Affectionate Parody: Isn't it obvious?
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Invoked, naturally, but not as prominently as in other abridged series.
- Tohru is ditzier, and, at times, even a little more devious due to her stealing food from poor Shinji...
- Kyo is a Hot-Blooded shonen hero, complete with announcing the names of his attacks.
- Shigure is a pure pervert, wanting only sex.
- Hana is some sort of dark arts practicing monster.
- Momiji is a complete pervert.
- And Knowing Is Half the Battle: Used explicitly in Episode 4, complete with G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero logo.
- Author Appeal: There are several references to Neon Genesis Evangelion throughout the series, along with Dragon Ball Z and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, mainly because they're a few of Da Games Elite's favorite anime.
- Axe Crazy: Kagura has a few issues, like cutting messages on the wings of carrier pigeons...
- Badass Boast: Kyo often makes these, but usually is either ignored or beaten up shortly after.
- Brain Bleach: Tohru wants some after imagining Yuki and Kyo falling in love with one another...
- Almost weaponized in Episode 2, where they almost erase Tohru's memory.
- Brick Joke: Numerous.
- A meter counting every time Kyo says "damn"
- Tohru stealing food from others.
- Shigure being a total pervert.
- Kagura is an abusive lunatic
- Calling Your Attacks: Kyo does this frequently. He even Lampshades this in Episode 3.
Kyo Mental note: don't announce the names of your attacks out loud. Leaves you open for attack.
- In Episode 9, Haru ends up doing the same thing, and even calls Kyo out when the attack he calls out doesn't match with his actions.
- Character Exaggeration: The entire series is this.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Tohru.
- Covert Pervert: Possibly Momiji, though it borders on outright sexual harassment from time to time.
- Creepy Monotone: Hana, entirely.
- Creepy Physical: In Episode 7, Hatori orders Yuki to strip naked for a physical...in front of his fangirls. Later in the episode, Tohru is told to join Hatori alone for a conversation. She's under the belief something like this would happen.
- Crossover Gag: Aside from the numerous Eva clips, during Hana's flashback in Episode 6, a clip from Legend of the Overfiend is played.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: All of Kyo and Yuki's fights. Kyo is always crushed.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Shigure attempts this in Episode 1, but, due to censorship, he's resigned to imagining Tohru in a bikini...only she's flat chested!
- Later on it almost becomes a Brick Joke in Episode 5, with Tohru's cousin's (or Grandpa's) "Fun Time Socks"...
- Deadpan Snarker: Yuki is this trope, and Uo has shades of it.
- Deus ex Machina: Lampshaded in Episode 4.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Hana, right down to Ave Satani playing when she appears.
- Dude, She's Like, in a Coma!: In the very first episode, Shigure almost takes advantage of Tohru. Yuki even compares it to the End of Evangelion.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Constantly in Episode 5, and is even referenced by name!
- Grumpy Old Man: Don't take Grandpa's Fun Time Socks...
- Handsome Lech: Shigure might be handsome, but he's sure as hell a lech.
- Hot-Blooded: Kyo is a hot blooded shonen stereotype personified, and often engages in Kamina level Badass Boasts.
- Black Haru is so hot blooded it makes Kyo look like a pacified baby in comparison.
- Intercontinuity Crossover - Tohru steals frequently from Shinji Ikari...
- Jerk Ass - Debatably Kagura, but definately Tohru's cousin.
- Large Ham: Shigure and Tohru's Grandfather, full stop. Especially Grandpa, who sounds like Arnold Schwarzenegger for no apparent reason...
- Lampshade Hanging: Yuki IS this trope.
- Larynx Dissonance: Also averted. The guys play guys, and the girls play girls. The only exception is Yuki.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The series hasn't broken it yet...but they're all aware they're a show, and reference it frequently...
- Les Yay: Invoked. Uo and Hana unabashedly ask Tohru for lesbian sex in Episode 6.
- Lovable Sex Maniac: Subverted in that Shigure has all the qualities, but all the characters, save for Tohru, want to kill him.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Somewhat averted. While all the actors play multiple roles, there are enough actors in the production to balance everyone out.
- Mood Whiplash: Episode 8 goes from jokes about sex and humorous blackmail to a depressing montage showing Hatori erasing his lover's memories.
- Noodle Incident: In Episode 6, Hana references the reason why she was kicked out of her ordinary school.
Hana: I was found opening a vortex to hell. To open it, I required the blood of a hundred virgin girls. I ended up gutting a thousand girls before I found my hundred, mainly because my demons of the night refused to leave a sperm wasted.
- Apparently, the movie D-War was based on real events...
- Only Sane Man: So far, Yuki and possibly Uo.
- Rousing Speech: Attempted in Episode 7. Tohru starts to give her famous "Rice Ball" speech, only for Kyo to shoot her down in seconds.
- Stalker with a Crush: Yuki thinks that Tohru is one of these initially, not to mention the entire Prince Yuki Fan Club IS this trope.
- Also, Kagura, seeing as how she stalks Kyo obsessively too.
- Yandere: Kagura is a mild form of this, even in the Abridged universe.