Web Video: Computer And Spaceman
Computer & Spaceman: A True Space Opera
"Computer and Spaceman! Computer and Spa-ace-man!!!"
is a rock musical
created by Benjamin Daniel, better known as Benzaie
, in March 2012, with contributions by Joe Vargas
and Ed Glasser
from That Guy with the Glasses
. It's the story of a lonely astronaut who builds himself a computer companion
, which goes exactly as well as expected
. It is in many respects a homage to both old and current science fiction.
So far, three videos of two songs each have been released:
- Acting for Two: In the fifth song Benzaie plays Computer in addition to Spaceman.
- Affectionate Parody
- Art Shift: Every song has its own unique visual presentation.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Which was entirely expected.
- Become a Real Boy: Computers goal.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: "Just me, and a friend, and two plates."
- Chewing the Scenery: It's Benzaie acting, so what would you expect?
- Crush. Kill. Destroy!: "I'm a big bad computer from the planet space, I am here to destroy the human race!"
- Death Equals Emotion: Or rather the other way round.
- Deceptively Human Robots: Computer.
- Epigraph: "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." - Isaac Asimov
- Heroic Sacrifice
- His Name Really Is Barkeep: "My name is the President".
- I'm a Humanitarian: Spaceman's main hobby is to make hamburgers out of aliens. Including Humanoids that look human.
- "I Am" Song: "I am the Astronaut".
- "I Want" Song: All the Spaceman wants is a friend to share his alien hamburgers with.
- Kill All Humans: The fifth song.
- Lyrical Dissonance: All the time.
- Recycled INSPACE: Space-time, space-years, space-friends, and space-window.
- Robosexual: Of course.
- Shout-Out: The first song is an homage to Ed Wood.
- The third song is a referece to a video by Witch Doctor
- The fourth song is (probably) a reference to Star Trek and other Sci-Fi shows.
- The visual effects in the fifth song are almost identical to Mass Effect. Probably also related to TRON.
- The final song is a tip of the hat to the song writers, Ragoononline.
- Special Effect Failure: Deliberately in the first and last song.
- Take Over the World: "Let's go down to planet earth / and take it over for all it's worth"
- The Power of Love: What eventually stops computer from destroying Earth.
- Tin Man: Computer, especially in the fifths song.
- Title Drop: The song "Computer & Spaceman" in part two.
- Turned Against Their Masters: Duh.
- Villain Song: "I wanna be bad"
- We Used to Be Friends: It was meant to last for only one song.