Web Video: Cholera Ninja Videos
Vinny Gausden, more popularly known as Cholera Ninja, puts out videos regularly on his Youtube channel. He does a variety of Let's Plays
, including such games as Paper Mario
, Kingdom Hearts
, and Shadowofthe Colossus
.He is most famous, however, for his series of Leagueof Legends
highlights videos. Collectively the series is called "I'm Bad at LoL," and features content edited from the many, many games Cholera Ninja has played and recorded. The series is notable for being not only funny
but also showcasing both Vinny's victories and defeats in a manner that doesn't try to hide the silliness and bad plays to which he's sometimes prone
Tropes that apply to Cholera Ninja Videos:
- Alas, Poor Scrappy: Spends a good chunk of Shadow of the Colossus complaining about Agro the horse, only to feel sad when it falls of a cliff.
Poor Carl, he just lost his horse. I mean that thing was a pain in the ass, but still...
- Alternative Character Interpretation: Has humorous interpretations of characters, with accompanying impersonations.
- Corki "Nbobo" is a grizzled WWI veteran.
- Graves is a southern racist who's family has been killed (by a lot of different people).
- Darius is the "King of Dunkshire" who leads the Knights of Dunkshire.
- Teemo is some kind of demon spawn, who's always 'Reporting for Duty.'
- Gangplank fights for his friends. Otherwise he talks just about as you'd expect...like a pirate.
- Poppy is a whiner who complains about Darius being OP.
- Book Ends: His first and final "I'm Bad At LoL" video featured Xin Zhao.
- Bowdlerization: His "Online Game Simulator" video (even though his impersonation is bad enough as it is). In the words of one top comment, "This is a terrible depiction of the League of Legends community! The real playerbase is much worse."
- Button Mashing: His method of playing Xin Zhao.
Next time I get into a fight, I'm just gonna hit every fucking button.
- Creator Backlash: He hasn't tried to disassociate himself from it, but Cholera Ninja still gets irked when people recognize him as "the Xin Zhao guy" from his first "I'm Bad at LoL" video. He has unfortunately ended the series, though mostly out of a lack of desire to continue rather than being associated with it.
- Epic Fail: His first Lee Sin Jungle video; his first time jungling with a champion he never uses, with very predictable results. The second one starts with his whole team going jungle with him, and the rest is just them goofing around during an obviously hopeless battle.
- Fake Shemp: "Also Bacon Couch wasn't on skype so his role will be played by Swagbot47."
- Glass Cannon: Noticeably builds zero defense items on Tryndamere or Gangplank in his earlier League of Legends videos since... well... see The Real Man.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: In one Chivalry Medieval Warfare video, he forgoes any weapons as a Vanguard and just runs around punching people to death. They actually work.
- Kiai: Done to the point of annoying his friends in his Xin Zhao video.
- Famous Last Words: "Hey look it's Leblanc!"
- In-Series Nickname: Calls Yordles "Moogles". The main character and final boss of Shadow of the Colossus are Carl and Dave respectively. And there dare no Super Saiyans, only super sand (which later evolves into "super sand legend"... and then "super sand lesbian").
- Large Ham
- Last-Second Word Swap: Courtesy of Microsoft Sam.
HEY YO WHAT UP friend.
- Laughing Mad: Thanks to staying in-character, Cholera Ninja falls into this for over 30 seconds after a kill in his "Zag Ziggin'" video.
- One of his Halo 4 videos is literally called that, and is all about it as he gets more and more kills through ramming vehicles and explosives.
- Leitmotif: Quite a few champions get those: Xin of course gets I'll Make A Man Out of You, Darius has Gaston, Ezreal and Veigar get various Mega Man Classic and Final Fantasy IX songs respectively...
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Can do an impressive range of impressions, nearly all of which are hilarious (especially ones coinciding with him being a Large Ham).
- Nightmare Retardant: Uses a voice filter to give Teemo a hellish Voice of the Legion... and then proceeds to sing the Inspector Gadget theme song.
- No Kill Like Overkill: "Nunu Ascends", in which he downright nukes two champions with a 893 AP Nunu while screaming FINAL FLASH!
- Orwellian Editor: Played for Laughs. After posting a video showing his Gangplank getting massacred by an enemy Leblanc, he posted "Gangplank: The Lost Levels," a highlight video of that entire match. When it reaches the point where Gangplank notices Leblanc, a black screen with the words "Scene Missing" and a picture of that one blitzball player appears.
- The Real Man: Very much his playstyle. He fully admits he doesn't play League to win, but to have fun and kill people, which is why his favorite champions are mostly in-your-face brawlers such as Darius or Tryndamere (and Ezreal). And then there's his tendency to show up with melee weapons or large calibers in FPS...
- Robo Speak: The aforementioned Swagbot47, who mostly repeats "SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG" over and over in a robotic voice. And then subverts it as it starts Trash Talking.
I'M A STRONG INDEPENDANT GOLEM I DON'T NEED NO MAN
WHAT UP PUNK ASS
- Screaming Warrior: All the time in combat-related games, he'll start screaming out of (fake) anger, surprise, or triumph. Or just when he feels like it. His claim to fame was playing Xin Zhao like this, screaming exaggerated Kiai noises every time he stabbed something.
- Shout Out: All the time, both in and out of his "I'm Bad at LoL" videos.
- Slow Motion: Used frequently to highlight moments of awesomeness, as well as bizarre glitches in the game. Also sometimes used...
- Slow No: ...if Cholera Ninja's gotten into a particularly nasty team fight. Usually Played for Laughs in the video, even if he was upset in-game.
- Take That: Most spectacularly the "Online Game Simulator" video, in which he teaches a new guy the ropes of MOBAs... that is to say, insult your team the whole game and act like you're the only one doing anything.
- Talk Like a Pirate: During his Gangplank videos. At one point someone points out that he forgot the extra "R"'s in Parrrrley so he tried again and dragged the "R" part out to over a minute.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: Started with this video, as a Monty Python parody, and culminating in the Kings of Dunkshire saga, in which the whole team acts like that for an entire game.