, formerly known as Cartoon Death Zone
, is a comedy animation YouTube
channel from Matt Wilson, the creator of Bonus Stage
Its main series is Deadly Space Action!
, a show about a dysfunctional crew
with its captain, Lemarion
the Space Barbarian
trying to conquer the galaxy
. Joining him is Orton, a web designer and resident Only Sane Man
; Saige, Orton's wife, who has various odd hobbies; Bestus, a green "jerk with a heart of fist
" and brute; and Madison, an ex-Apathetic Teacher
and the most optimistic of the bunch, acting as the ship's (terrible) mechanic.
Most other videos are from pilots that didn't grow any further. If a trope isn't from a specified work, assume it's from Deadly Space Action.Cartoon Drive-Thru
can be found here
. The original channel, which is as of writing the only place to watch older videos, can be found here
This channel provides examples of...
- Awesome Mc Cool Name: Lemarion T. Barbarian and Bestus Crash-Boom.
- Big Eater: Lemarion orders 30 shipments a tacos a day, which no one else on the ship seems to eat.
- Cool Starship: The rattlesnake-shaped Rattleship, Lemarion's vessel of choice.
- Which is replaced with the more practically shaped (but still quite cool) Antship at the end of season one.
- Characterization Marches On: Orton is an apathetic Straight Man for the first few episodes, but by Season Two he's just as odd as Saige.
- Likewise, Madison spends her first few appearances as a serious-minded Apathetic Teacher, but becomes an incompetent cutie the moment she joins the crew.
- Crazy Awesome: Saige.
- Couch Gag: Early episodes of Deadly Space Action! consist of the same beginning, "In the future, space consists of eight hexagons...", with a witty ending.
- Season two's gag has a newspaper with differing amusing headlines.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Lemarion's reaction to a poorly-spelt insult on the internet is to have the crew duel to the death. Which turns out to just be a game of laser tag
- Expospeak Gag: In the second episode of Deadly Space Action!, as Lemarion is recruiting crew members:
Lemarion: "Have you activated the job application transference device?"
Orton: "Yeah, I opened Gmail."
- Failed a Spot Check: At one point Lemarion misses a sign the size of a moon. Said sign had an important warning restricting pasta-based imports.
- Happily Married: Orton and Saige.
- Identical Grandfather / Identical Stranger: Gregarion the Sea Barbarian is one of these to Lemarion.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming: The first season episodes are of the form Extreme ______. Dropped by the second season.
- On the Next: Parodied in season two; the episodes end with an "On the Next" with a horribly inaccurate description.
- Planet of Hats: The only planet Lemarion has managed to conquer so far is Tutorialis, a planet inhabited entirely by video game tutorial NPCs.
- Previously On: Also parodied, with an episode that begins with a normal one, until a Wham Line is said that definitely never happened.
Saige: There's a werewolf on the ship!
- Nightmare Fetishist: Saige's secret fetish is being partially digested before being eaten, apparently.
- Non-Indicative Name: Deadly Space Action features only minor character deaths, is a comedy series with not that much action, and a few episodes and a whole arc aren't even set in space.
- Seen It All: Apparently Lemarion.
It's just time travel, no offense.
- Talking to Himself: Every character is voiced by Matt, across all works.
- Theremin: Used in the season 1 title sequence, for the sci-fi feel.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Dice-Roy has died at least four times over the course of the series.
- This Is a Work of Fiction: Yet another parody, at the end-of-the-episode copyright disclaimer for season two:
Any similarity to future historical events is entirely intentional, because we totally called it.
- Villain Protagonist: Considering they're trying to conquer the galaxy.
- Yaoi Fangirl: Saige