Otherwise known as Phil Lester. He's been making YouTube videos since 2006, is intensely adorable, and also possibly insane.He frequently collaborates with YouTuber/roommate/best friend danisnotonfire, and even hosts two collaboration series of sorts on his channel— the seasonal baking videos (mostly), and "Phil is Not On Fire", ostensibly a Q&A show, but one that answers very little, with no normal prompts and lots of bizarre and amusing improv instead.He and Dan also share a gaming channel at Dan And Phil Games. Any tropes relating to those videos should go on that page.In addition to his online content, he and Dan co-host a weekly radio show on BBC Radio 1.
Tropes used by Amazing Phil:
- Adorkable: Practically the epitome of the trope.
- Amusing Injuries: As he is not the most coordinated person, these happen often.
- Animal Motifs: There is a repeated lion motif in several of his videos (more apparent in past videos than more recent ones), such as his toy lion who is a Deadpan Snarker and makes comments about Phil's stories through annotations, his "Draw Phil Naked" fan pictures which would often feature lions, along with a few of his videos being dedicated to lions or at least features a lion in the title. His Krave Challenge onesie was a lion.
- Black Comedy: In the "easter nests" baking video, they use a Bain-marienote , and Phil suggests that the hypothetical "Bain-Marie" for whom it could be named, died this way. Occasionally, Phil will lapse into black comedy without even knowing it.
- Butt-Monkey: He tends to be Dan's primary prank and abuse target and tells many stories of having bad luck. That doesn't mean Dan isn't equally matched in those respects.
- Call-Back: In the video where he, Dan, and Louise play "Obama Llama", Phil remarks that the intense yelling has broken the sound barrier. Dan corrects him, reminding him that the sound barrier is broken by extreme speed, and says they've had that conversation multiple times prior. One of those instances was in the seventh "Phil is Not On Fire".
- Catch-Phrase: "Hey guys!" LessAmazingPhil's has become, "Try new things!"
- Celeb Crush: He has a bit of a thing for Buffy Summers/Sarah Michelle Gellar. He draws the line at Sarah Michelle Gellar with a giraffe-neck, though.
- Clothes Make the Legend: He is known for his love of colourful shirts and mismatched socks, and his trademark 2007 emo fringe.
- Color-Coded Characters: To some extent when he is paired with Dan, who is particularly fond of dark and ironic clothing. However, they still look very much alike.
- Comically Missing the Point: He's been known to misinterpret some things, such as when, in their collab with Rosanna Pansino on Nerdy Nummies, he misunderstands Ro's instructions to start the spiderweb pattern on their donuts by piping two crosses, which span the donut. Phil pipes two small crosses on either side before realizing his mistake.
- Covert Pervert: He generally seems pretty innocent, but perhaps a bit less so when thinking about his idols.
- Creepy Child: Phil may have been this, if his stories from The Rabit iz comin to get youu are anything to judge by:
- All that was left of Adam was a pool of bludd. The police came, and said they couldn't find Adam's body enywere. After that the school was shut down, and the monster that kild Adam still lives under streets. One of the man in seuwer got hold of monster fayse. The face was a mask. Under the mask was Adam's teecher. After that he went to prisun for life.One sunny day a little girl came up to the rabbit and patted it. The next thing she knew the rabbit bit a hole in her neck and she was dead. Then the police came to arrest the rabbit, but the rabbit bit a hole in every policeman's neck and they all died. One day because the rabbit had killed all those people, the army had to come with their big tanks and shoot him, and that was the end of the rabbit.
- Phil says when he was younger he would stare at his parents while they slept with an emotionless expression. He was definitely a creepy child.
- Creepy Doll: When on tour in America, he discovers that his room has quite a few old-fashioned jester dolls in it. He resolves to sleep on the sofa for the duration of his stay.
- Crossover: With danisnotonfire. All. The. Time.
- Cute and Psycho: Older videos showcase a bit of Phil's... weirder side.
- Does Not Like Spam: It used to be bananas (he's grown past it), but he still hates cheese, tomato juice, and carbonated water.
- It turns out he's a bit lactose intolerant.
- Epic Fail: When a creepy old woman comes to his door inviting him to meet "The Holy Mother", he refuses by saying "maybe next time".
- Eskimos Aren't Real: As a child, Phil used to think that seahorses were mythical creatures until he saw them at an aquarium.
- Extreme Doormat: A trait he attributes to his Britshness. It causes him great chagrin, such as when he finds himself unable to make a comeback to a rude neighbor or when he goes along with an insane gym plan, risking the possibility of vomiting on his trainer due to built-up nausea.
- Failed Dramatic Exit: When his childhood club was taken over by girls and completely changed, Phil attempted to storm out in anger...leaving his shoes behind. He defied the embarrassing return, however, and opted to abandon his shoes forever.
- Footsie Under the Table: This happened to him when he was on an elementary school pizza date.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves animals (especially lions), and will try to cuddle any pet he encounters.
- This was also shown in Phil's baby video where it is revealed that he had a "house rabbit", which is his pet rabbit that lived in his house because she didn't like living in a cage.
- He is, however, afraid of horses. This apparently doesn't apply to horses with human faces though.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: He intentionally swears very little, and when he does (Rarely), he normally beeps it out, serving as a good foil to Dan's foul mouth.
- In their song The Internet is Here, Phil intervenes when Dan is about to say the word 'shit'.
- Grounded Forever: When discussing the first (and only) time he ever smoked, and immediately got caught...Phil: I was too awkward to discuss it, or make an excuse, so I was grounded straight away. (imitating Lemongrab) ONE MILLION YEARS... DUNGEON! ...In fact, I think I might be still grounded. ...Let's find out!
(cut to Phil on the phone with his mum)
Phil's Mum: Hi, Phil, how are we doing?
Phil: Hi, I was just wondering if I'm still grounded because of that smoking thing when I was eleven.
Phil's Mum: Yes. Forever.
Phil's Mum: Yes!
- The Insomniac: Not chronically, but he sometimes has sleepless nights, which he's turned into a vlog series.
- Keet: He's like a walking anime character.
- The Klutz: Says so in several videos and occasionally demonstrates it.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: For a time, like Dan, but once the two got haircuts, they stayed.
- Malaproper: He'll occasionally say very different things from what he intended to say, and which sometimes sound inappropriate. If this is the case and he himself doesn't notice, it doesn't pass dirty-minded Dan without a lampshade.
- Man Child: While he is a 30-year-old man (as of 2017), he retains an almost-innocent essence to his personality.
- Midnight Snack: Both Dan and Phil have mentioned numerous times his habit of eating Dan's cereal directly from the box at any given time of the day.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg: Phil is often the victim of this whenever Phil and Dan are together in a video. The best example of this was when Dan and Phil challenged each other to see who was recognised more by the fans which resulted in Dan being recognised faster than Phil.
- Nerds Are Sexy: He was voted Sugarscape's Hottest Lad of 2013. But he also has an undergrad English degree, a postgrad Theatre, Film and Television degree, and getting an MFA in Video Postproduction.
- Nerd Glasses: He has them, but rarely wears them in videos when he's not being Science Phil.
- Old Soldier: Although his personality is anything but that of a broody sergeant, he is quite the Youtube veteran, as he has been making videos since 2006 and became quite popular before the rest of the British Youtube scene.
- Some other Youtubers' first gifts they sent to another Youtuber pre-Youtube were to him.
- Older Than They Look: Don't be fooled by the baby face: as of January 2017, he is thirty years old.
- Once per Episode: "Hey guys!" and Draw Phil Naked, the latter having been discontinued as of September 2015.
- Oop North: His first videos showcase his Northern accent.
- Pretty Boy
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: He's ridiculously pale and dyes his hair completely black.
- Real Person Shipping: Fans tend to ship Phil with Dan. A lot.
- Running Gag:
- Phil's obsession with buying house plants.
- Sneakily eating ingredients in the baking videos, to the point where, in the pumpkin cookies video, Dan had to prepare and get two new bags of marshmallows for their cocoa because Phil had eaten all but one from the bag they already had. He's also prone to eating Dan's cereal as a snack, and their second Google Feud video has the two playing for the last macaroon they have...because Phil ate all the rest.
- Providing fanciful alternative origins for the ingredients used in their baking, which usually get questioned by Dan.
- Running Gagged: Draw Phil Naked, a brief fanart showcase at the end of videos, was officially ended in September of 2015.
- Spot of Tea: Phil meets the epitome of this trope on an airplane: The Tea People, insane passengers who drank gallons of tea, and, of course, frequently interrupted him with their regular bathroom breaks.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: Self-explanatory. Don't let his childlike personality make you forget that he is 6'2'' (188cm).
- That Came Out Wrong: All. The. Time. His personality is quite innocent, but the way he words things turns normal sentiments into innuendo for anyone above the age of 12. This also applies to the way he fiddles with random objects and his own hands.
- Those Two Guys: With best friend Dan. Contrary to most Youtube duos, they originally weren't an double-act and rose to fame on their own respective channels. However, it is becoming rarer and rarer to see one without the other: they live together, very frequently appear in each other's videos, have created two collaborative side channels, got their own radio show on BBC1, were offered a dual cameo by Disney in the UK version of Big Hero 6, have hosted award shows together, and pretty much always appear side by side for interviews or conventions.
- Once on the radio when Phil was on holiday, someone told Dan that she found it strange that Dan and Phil holidayed separately.
- Weirdness Magnet: Phil appears to have a tendency to attract/encounter strange, possibly paranormal things wherever he goes, from his parents' house to his own apartment to anywhere on holiday. Tea People, the Holy Mother, you name it, he's run into it.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The Kool Katz. A club which Phil was a part of when he was 11. It was a Kool Gang which he made after he was removed from the other group on his street, "THE BOYZ". His friend Jessica was the leader and treasurer. Soon the other boys left the group, and the girls spent their time talking about boys and makeup. They also had a new, terrifying ASCII mascot named CiCi.