Web Original: Jenny Everywhere
One of the many interpretations of Jenny Everywhere
"The character of Jenny Everywhere is available for use by anyone, with only one condition. This paragraph must be included in any publication involving Jenny Everywhere, in order that others may use this property as they wish. All rights reversed."Jenny Everywhere
— The license for Jenny Everywhere
is the world's first open-source fictional character. Although she appears mainly in webcomics
, Jenny is freely available
for use in other media, and must remain so.
Jenny has no official Web site (the closest thing would be The Shifter Archive
), publication or Back Story
. Jenny has the power to shift between parallel universes, or she exists in every universe, or both. Her appearance varies, but the creator has this as a general description which writers honor to varying degrees:
She has short, dark hair. She usually wears aviation goggles on top of her head and a scarf around her neck. Otherwise, she dresses in comfortable clothes. She is average size and has a good body image. She has loads of confidence and charisma. She appears to be Asian or Native American. She has a ready smile.
Additionally, her common depiction by writers has her as enthusiastic, kind, generally angst-free, and eager for adventure and toast.
Jenny was created by Canadian cartoonist Steven Wintle on the loosely Grant Morrison
-centric counterculture forum Barbelith
, where she appeared in a bunch of comics. Eventually interest in her died out there, but she's gone on to appear in many, many other webcomics and stories.
This character has appeared in the following works:
- Author Appeal: Naturally, different versions of Jenny tend to reflect their interests. In some of the Barbelith stories, she spent a lot of time clubbing and obsessing over music. In the nudist webcomic Loxie and Zoot/The Bare Pit, she got naked (thankfully that was done by someone who can actually draw). In 'The Easy Breather, she inspires Samantha by showing her a DVD.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her creator merely says that "she appears to be Asian or Native American."
- Depending on the Writer:
- Actively encouraged, the nature of Jenny's character means that her various incarnations often vary wildly between stories, though her base personality stays generally true to the brief, by and large. This even goes for the nature of her powers.
- Her Evil Counterpart, Jenny Nowhere, also an open source character, is even more so. The Shifter Archive FAQ suggests that "in each universe there's a Jenny Everywhere who's recognizably Jenny Everywhere in name, character and appearance... and somewhere in each universe there's a Jenny Nowhere who's recognizably Jenny Nowhere In Name Only."
- Depending on the Artist: As above, Jenny's specific appearance is deliberately vague so as to give freedom to the creators.
- Dimensional Traveler
- Evil Counterpart: Jenny Nowhere (see above).
- Genki Girl
- Goggles Do Nothing: One story hints that Jenny inherited them from her mother, who was an aviator.
- Interpretative Character: Pretty much her entire shtick.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Jenny verges on this sometimes.
- Meaningful Name: She is supposed to exist in all possible realities, and is thus pretty much "everywhere". Also her power to "shift" between realities gives her the title/nickname "The Shifter".
- Plucky Girl
- Scarf of Asskicking
- Trademark Favorite Food: Toast
- Weirdness Magnet
- Walking the Earth: Well, Walking The Multiverse...