Jeff the Killer is a particularly famous Creepypasta
formed sort of spontaneously by a user named "killerjeff" on the old Encyclopaedia Dramatica back in 2008, based on speculation about the origin about a particularly unsettling picture on the Creepypasta article called "joy.jpg." which may (or then again may not
) have been a heavily Photoshopped picture of an overweight girl used to bully her two years before. A video on Newgrounds soon surfaced of this picture edited to be deranged and scary
in October of 2008...and a legend was born.
This is a combination of original research
and memories of former ED editors, whose word must be taken at face value
because in 2011 most of the relevant image discussion pages and user profiles for ED were deleted in their entirety
. But, then again, like everything else on the Internet, one person's guess is as good as anyone else's.
Today it's become almost synonymous with Creepypasta itself, mostly known thanks to the ridiculous amount of spinoffs, as well as its infamously Narmy
and unrealistic origin story, both of which have turned something originally totally off-the-rails frightening
into something...well, not so much
Tropes associated with Jeff the Killer:
- A Boy and His X: Often depicted as the owner of fellow Nightmare Face monster, Smile Dog.
- Adult Fear: Prefers to target children.
- Asshole Victim: The three kids from Jeff's origin story.
- Ax-Crazy: Yes.
- Bullying a Dragon: Again, the three kids from Jeff's origin story.
- Black Eyes, Take Warning: No explanation is given for why they're black, but they're there.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: At best, this is the Fandom's semi-canonical depiction of him. At worst...
- Continuity Snarl: All the way back in 2008, "Jeff" on Newgrounds asserted that he fell face first into a box of cleaning chemicals, which deformed his face the way it is now, and that the "creepier" picture was him having fun in Photoshop. The far sillier origin story was developed much later.
- Deadly Euphemism: If you run into Jeff, pretty much the only thing you'll hear him say is "go to sleep."
- Eldritch Abomination: Turns into this in the Worm Jeff saga.
- Empty Shell: Possibly turns into this at the end of his origin story. After all, it's not particularly easy to kill your own parents and presumably your older brother and keep going.
- Expy: Of The Joker. His face in particular is chemically bleached like the original, and a Glasgow Grin like the Dark Knight version.
- Even Evil Has Standards: Has been shown in Jeff the Killer vs Jane the Killer that he will not hurt a baby.
- Fat and Skinny: Troy, to Randy and Keith.
- Fat Bastard: Troy, one of the bullies in the story, was implied to be very fat.
- Friendly Rivalry: Commonly depicted with various other creepypastas, most commonly Slenderman.
- Glasgow Grin: This is Jeff's shtick. Often makes people compare Jeff to The Dark Knight's Joker.
- Knife Nut: Jeff is rarely seen without a knife of some kind.
- Laughing Mad: Jeff lets one out when he sees his deformed face in the mirror.
- Lean and Mean: Keith, one of the bullies from the story, was implied to be very skinny.
- MST: BAD CREEPYPASTA has done an MST'd reading of the story in a very lemony, snarky way.
- Never Sleep Again: Sneaks into your room while you sleep and stabs you if you happen to wake up, so it's more like Never Wake Again.
- Nightmare Face: The image that started it all is very hard to get out of your head, and can be quite a shocker. The picture it was based on (hit the link in the opening paragraph for a comparison) is not at all better.
- Rule 34: And it's just as wordlessly horrible as you can imagine.
- Rule 63: Tumblr often has Jane the Killer.
- Selfmade Orphan: The night Jeff returns from the hospital, he kills both his parents and his brother.
- Slasher Smile: Guess.
- Terrible Trio: Randy, Troy, and Keith, the three bullies that mugged and assaulted Jeff and his brother.
- Would Hurt a Child: In fact, children are pretty much all he's been shown killing.