Web Original: Hunger Games OCT
An Original Character Tournament taking place on deviantArt and hosted by Iahdo. This tournament is set 75 years before the beginning of The Hunger Games trilogy. It was completed on February 3rd, 2013.As punishment for the attempt to overthrow their oppressive government, each of the 12 districts that comprise the nation of Panem are subjected to send one boy and one girl between the ages 12 and 18 to fight to the death in a staged arena. Only one may come out alive...Your character happens to be one of the 24 unlucky tributes chosen for these gladiatorial games. Blood and tears will be spilled, alliances will be forged and broken, trickery and deceit will be used, but will your character go to such extremes in order to survive? Or will they seek to accomplish something more for their friends, family, or even their country?A guide of the rounds can be found in the trivia page.We now have a Character page!
Major spoilers ahead. Continue at your own risk!
Major spoilers ahead. Continue at your own risk!
Tropes pertaining to this OCT:
- Aerith and Bob
- Amazing Technicolor Population: The Capitol fashions include dying your skin various colors. Capitol celebrity Eagle Vasp, also a stylist in the first few Hunger Games, has blue feathers and skin. Her employee, who simply goes by the name "blue", has bright blue skin. Patricia, Rottie Beten's stylist, has purple skin.
- Anyone Can Die
- Break the Cutie: Ginger Darton's story is full of this
- Children Forced To Kill: Tributes have to be between 12 to 18 years of age.
- Deadly Game
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Many tributes and characters use swords. These include Azlin Bluestone, Garrett Lykke, Rettie Benethe, and Ellie Barmier. Subverted for Aras Duval, since he doesn't actually know how to use it (simply part of the uniform).
- President Kane also prefers swords but few would call him a "hero."
- Heroic BSOD: This happens to MANY people, including Ginger Darton, Rhona Velaro, and Ame Gater
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: For the tributes, at least.
- Leap of Faith: This caused Icarus to get her scar when she was younger.
- Mama Bear: This applies to several tributes, including Ginger, Nara, and Rettie.
- Sacrificial Lamb: In the tournament, there are 24 people originally chosen. 23 of them are likely to die.
- Snow Means Cold: This happens in the Forbidden City in Round Two. Could also double as Snow Means Death
- So Proud of You: Tidus says this when Ame is Reaped for the Games. Unfortunatley, it's not very comforting.
- Take Me Instead: Nara volunteers for the Games so another girl wouldn't have to participate.
- Take That: Vinca Sylvestris to Ozimandias Dio. On live television. "Dio can suck me off; I've got the job he wanted!"
- Teacher/Student Romance: Between Ellie and her mentor Zaneth.
- There Can Be Only One: The Capitol only wants one winner of the Hunger Games.
- Thirteen Is Unlucky: District 13 went boom.
- Weather of War: The Gamemakers can control the weather, from storms to blizzards, to clear skies, to avalanches.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Several Capitol citizens, including Gamemaker Ludus, escort Jupiter Glee, escort Tropaz Periwinkle and, in part, stylist Vinca Sylvestris. In a similar vein, Velma Twipp has purple hair and Titanianus Starr has rainbow.
open/close all folders
- Bury Your Gays: Asher sadly was killed by Ginger's Boomerang.
- Curse Cut Short: Upon realizing that Icarus stole his bag, Ame utters "Son of a-" before the panels cut to the two running.
- Disney Villain Death: Icarus dies by falling to her death in an almost bottomless chasm.
- Four Element Ensemble: Tress's Round 1 entry involved an arena based on the elements.
- Foreign Cuss Word: Unfortunately, Garrett understands French, and promptly scolds him for his language in Ame's entry.
- Go Out with a Smile: Icarus and Ginger
- The Great Flood: The climax of Round 1 in Ofelia's entry.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Kallen doesn't die by falling off a building, bur rather by stabbing himself with his own machete when he landed.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Azlin gets swept away after saving Ame from the water rushing through the Gamemaker's pipe trap. Ame survives. She doesn't.
- Landmark of Lore: In Ofelia's entry, the arena's "ancient temple in the jungle" setting closely resembles Angkor Wat. The round ends with Ofelia stumbling upon the Forbidden City.
- Neck Snap: Carsten kills Levis this way.
- Symbol Swearing: A variation of this happens when Ame opens his backpack. He swears, but it's replaced by elven lettering. Word of God says it fit Ame's theme better.
- Bilingual Bonus: The elven lettering is from Tolkien and, when translated to common, reads as "Rhachon le!" Which, in turn, translates to "I curse you!" in Forgotten Realms Elven.
- Tactful Translation: Subverted. In Garrett's round, when Ame acts as the middleman between Garrett and Azlin, he translate's Garrett's claim that Azlin is pretty to "He said you're ugly."
- Accidental Murder: Ame didn't MEAN to stab Ginger.
- Automated Automobiles: Rottie's Round 2 features A gamemaker trap is a deadly car that drives itself. Doubles as a Homicide Machine.
- Blood from the Mouth: Ginger ends up coughing up blood before her death.
- Break the Haughty: Deconstructed; Ame's only acting like a narcissistic, overconfident jerk. This is cemented with Ginger mentioning this and his own hallucinations saying that he's useless and going to die anyway. Though the deaths of other tributes throughout the Games doesn't help either.
- Corrupt the Cutie: This occurs in Round 2 when Lunar teams up with Jack Rackam.
- Couldn't Find a Pen: BEWARE OF DOG!
- Death by Irony: Ruck's strategy is to hit you with an axe until you stop moving. Which is exactly what Rottie did to him.
- Food as Bribe: Rettie does this to try and ally with Carsten.
- Hallucinations: Ame suffers from these in Round 2.
- Hall of Mirrors: Ame ends up in one of these. It may qualify as a...
- House of Broken Mirrors: Played With; In Round Two, Ame breaks all the mirrors in a maze because the halucination-induced reflections of his friends, enemies, and allies are telling him that he's worthless.
- Invulnerable Knuckles: Subverted; Ame lacerates his hand after punching a mirror.
- Landmark of Lore: Garrett's Round 2 takes place in the Forbidden City.
- Mirror Monster: One takes the form of hands that pull Ame into a Gamemaker trap and the other takes the form of Tidus Gater, induced by a hallucination.
- The Man in the Mirror Talks Back: Played With; The reflection is Ame's brother instead.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Subverted; The machete wound on Rottie's shoulder is not only infected, but also painful and prevents her form using her left arm.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Garrett's Round Two features jiangshi, a chinese hopping zombie.
- Reduced to Ratburgers: Carsten is so deprived of food, he's willing to eat corn with worms in it.
- The Swarm: A swarm of unknown insects attacks Lunar and it leads to hallucinations.
- Some Kind of Force Field: Rottie comes across the force field keeping the tributes in the arena. She then uses it to stop the Gamemaker's trap car.
- They Died Because of You: Ame is told this by his hallucinations.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: They HAD to TAKE AWAY THE WATER?!
Tropes found in multiple Rounds
- Eye Scream: In the first round, Rettie jams her hairstick into Ellie's eye to make her drop her weapon. In the second, Rhona stabs Caleb through the eye with a Muttation horn.
- Friend Or Foe: First, Ginger mistakes Asher Theorella from district 10 for a Career Tribute. Then, later, Ame thinks Ginger is a hallucination and nearly stabs her.
- Kill the Cutie: Rettie died in a flood, and Ginger was stabbed in the stomach.
- Mercy Kill: Carsten does this to Levis after she swallows her own poison dart, and then Rottie attempts to do this to Rucks..
- Off with His Head!: Played Straight and Played With; In the former, Jack Rackam cuts Jadeite's head off... with an ax, of course. In the latter, Rottie hacked at Ruck's neck with her hatchet as a Mercy Kill.
- Sanity Slippage: Lunar and Rottie slowly delve into madness throughout the first two rounds.