Web Original: Hotel Haven
"Welcome to Haven; let us twist your perfect reality into a personal hell."An Original Character Tournament currently on the final round, housed on deviantArt and hosted by 13th Spiral.The storyline of Hotel Haven initially seems simple. A motley assortment of characters are invited to a luxurious Hell Hotel, run by Teufel von Trӓumen, and the most cheerful, helpful and skilled staff available. Teufel promises his guests everything they could want: wealth, happiness; in short, their dreams come true — provided they win a little tournament he is running, of course.But it seems that facing each other might be the least of the guests' worries, because those staff aren't all they appear to be and as living in Dream Land isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially if it includes your worst nightmares.
— The Motto they obviously don't use on their tourist brochure.
- Crapsaccharine World: SO. MUCH.
- Jekyll & Hyde – the staff aren't all they appear to be...which leads to:
- Stepford Smiler - The entire staff is made up of Type C Stepford Smilers. Which also leads to:
- Beware the Nice Ones - Sadly for all the guests it's already too late.
- Missing Floor – The ominous floor 666 is off limits to all guests. Additionally, there is no floor 999 at all. The elevator just skips from 998 to 1000 (Yes, it really is that tall)
- The hotel actually spans infinitely in both directions.
- HELL - Enough said.
Teufel von Trӓumen - Owner of the Hotel:
- Created by 13thSpiral Ref: 
- Devil in Plain Sight - possibly quite literally.
- Possibly a Long Haired Prettyboy – since Teufel has amazingly epic multicolored hair in a ponytail.
- The Unpronounceable - It should be noted that many entrants could not pronounce his German name, thus resorting to the closest sounding nickname: Truffles.
- The nickname also made it into a couple of the auditions.
- Eyes Always Shut - Black smoke comes out of his eyes if he opens them; and that tends to make guests a tad uncomfortable.
- All Germans Are Nazis - Master Trӓumen is German, and as is pointed out in Leafa1's audition, Teufel is German for "the Devil". You make the connection.
Simon "Stylo" Luca - Janitor:
- Created by Tzyoku Ref: 
- Ostensibly a Neat Freak, which is lucky considering his job...
- Spontaneous Choreography - Stylo likes dancing while he cleans.
- No Sense of Personal Space - Especially if you're pleasing to the senses.
- (Somewhat) Almighty Janitor - He can get reprimanded, but... that doesn't stop him from doing what he wants, anyway.
- Memetic Sex God - Beni might steal all the hearts, but Stylo gets all the love.
- Also the lesser Launcher of a Thousand Ships. Unlike Beni, most of Stylo's shippings involve competitors and other staff members rather than the many stereotypically-lovable fangirl's characters.
- Nevermind. Beni's been shipped with all the staff, now, too.
- Also the lesser Launcher of a Thousand Ships. Unlike Beni, most of Stylo's shippings involve competitors and other staff members rather than the many stereotypically-lovable fangirl's characters.
Doll - The Maid:
- Created by ImYourNumber1Moron Ref: 
- The Hotel's French Maid, of course.
- She's a beauty with pretty little butterflies fluttering around her where ever she goes.
- When she isn't eating them, of course.
Beni the Bellhop:
- Created by Kocoa Ref: 
- Beni will probably insist that Real Men Wear Pink
- Launcher of a Thousand Ships – Even though Beni is strictly heterosexual and not at all into underage girls... that doesn't seem to stop some odd pairings turning up.
- The Casanova
- Cute Little Fangs - Or just really sharp buckteeth.
- Butt Monkey - Poor Beni. Not only has his popularity doomed him to ship bait and comic relief status, but auditions where his flirty and forward nature doesn't turn him into this are few and far in-between. Then there was the encounter with Marilyn...
- Type two example of Urban Legend Love Life - He flirts, he compliments, he has quite a way with the ladies, and he probably wishes he could get far with them... But we all know he's still a virgin
- Created by Blyu-dono Ref: 
- Hotel Haven's Supreme Chef
- Also a Phenotype Stereotype; blond hair and blue eyes? Nothing else to say here, folks.
- Don't forget that Malik is a Improbable Weapon User - in his demonic form his favourite weapons are giant knife named Choppy and... a GIANT SPORK! It's name is Sporkspork.
- Created by Gendreavus and designed by qui-non-stultus Ref: 
- He's the Hellevator Operator.
- Creator of many Uncomfortable Elevator Moments
- Horror Hunger - He feeds off of the words the guests are willing to say and especially in his demonic form, is willing to go to extreme lengths of torturing them to get what fills him.
- Created by Ham-Spam Ref: 
- Everyone's favorite Cute Mute
- She's got No Name Given, just her title.
- How Do You Like Them Apples? - She gives one out as a "harmless" gift to every new guest. The real truth is much darker.
- Especially dark in a certain side-comic
- Token Nonhuman - From first appearances, she appears to be the only staff member aside from Teufel himself who is not human.
- One of guests likes her a lot. Just look isn't it cute?
The Official ContestantsOf the 109 auditions, only 32 were able to make the final cut; with a total of 51 characters including pets. They are as follows:
Ariadne and Nergal Negrelli
- Creator: Leafa1 Intro: 
- Ariadne: Never Mess with Granny - Or Auntie, in this case!
- Nergal: Scars Are Forever
Armaan and Siroh
- Creators: Armaan - Someguy0203/Siroh - yazm33n Intro: 
- Armaan: Third-Person Person, The Sociopath, Healing Factor, Nice Hat, Jerkass
- Siroh: Children Are Innocent, White Magic
Madeline, Meuff and Linear
Narantulguldur Qanqutan and Silvano Romano
- Creator: spesiria Intro: 
- There are a few tropes to describe this relationship, but One Head Taller seems to be the best for now.
- The Unpronounceable: Or at least the very hard to pronounce.
- Creator: xXBirdfireXx Intro: 
- Rapunzel Hair: seriously, it grows over nine thousand feet in a matter of weeks.
Yavari and Abacus
Wallace and Hemhem
- Creators: Wallace - inuyashafangirl94/Hemhem - Andiegator Intro: 
- Wallace: Slasher Smile - Apparently when his right eye goes completely red being around him is not a good idea.
- Hemhem: Tagalong Kid - Wallace seems to hate him, yet he endlessly follows.
Caine and Mabel
- Creator: JynxedJoker Intro: 
- These two fall under the Secret Identity category; we don't even know their real names.
- Another Brother-Sister Team, only somehow they've ended up in the same body.
Priestess Sato Nami
- Creator:  Intro: 
- Miko - Nami worked at the Shrine of the "Mother Sun", an other-world variant of Amaterasu, she was a Miko until she became a full fledged priestess.
- Also falls under Half-Human Hybrid
- Big Beautiful Woman - Sato is the heaviest guest at the hotel, but is still attractive.
- Religion Is Magic - This may also be considered to be White Magic, Nami was blessed by the mother Goddess of her world, giving her a number of divine gifts.
- Some of these might be considered to be Blessed with Suck as things such as Fertility powers have limited combat potential.
Luna and Hin
- Creator: LadyOfTheDragons Intro: 
- The Human Aliens of the tourney. Also, another Brother-Sister Team.
M+M and Howard
- Creator: Taplaos Intro: 
- M+M: The tourneys Sir Swearsalot, which is quite ironic since he's a mime.
- Howard: Rubber Man - It was his act.
- Creator: TheDemonSurfer Intro: 
- Man in White: Technically man in grayscale, goes around painting the world like a pretty picture.
- Scarf of Asskicking: It never comes off. Ever.
- His creator did her best to give him a Meaningful Name, but there just aren't that many synonyms for grey.
Cecile Durard and Bonaventure "Clockie" Jenkins
- Creators: Cecile - PyroBear/Clockie - Ninou-san Intro: 
- Cecile: Gone Horribly Wrong - she accidentally kills her boyfriend after an argument by setting him on fire.
- Clockie: Nice Hat - huge hat is more like it.
Lillian and Adelmar
- Creator: Kristehvampire Intro: 
- Lillian: Not a Zombie also has a Parasol of Pain as her weapon!
- Adelmar: Our Vampires Are Different
- Kristehvampire was also the winner of Escape From Nevara
- Creator: Ombre-de-clause Intro: 
- Ax-Crazy - More like giant pinwheel-scythe of death than Axe, but you get the idea.
- Cheerful Child Kinda, it's sometimes hard to remember that Jouel is physically 21...and possibly much older then she looks judging from her reference.
Mistress Perrin of the Linael House and Pyotr
- Creators: Zerahoc and Anneem Intro: 
- Perrin: Once a Lonely Rich Kid, but that was brought to an abrupt end as she became the last of her kind - which she doesn't seem to be taking it too well, either.
- Pyotr: Parrot Pet Position - found mostly on the left shoulder. Also has a Hair-Trigger Temper - he will literally bite your finger off.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Zerahoc participated in the OCT Deviant Dead, and the character he used for it, Jack Deschain, has made appearances in their entries.
- As of round 3, Jack has become an official player for these contestants, he can be considered as a Helpful Hallucination.
- Creator: clickmon Intro: 
- New Meat: Ben comes to the hotel for a job, not for the tourney, but Teufel is having him fight anyway.
- Creator: CalamityChemist Intro: 
- The Woobie - If you don't want to cuddle Cecil, you aren't human.
- Creator: Charanty Intro: 
- Helix: Don't Fear the Reaper
- And don't forget her amazing gravity defying Prehensile Hair.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth - several always fly around her, although they are visible only to magic users. Guess why.
Lucas and Kumiho
- Creator: Dragol Intro: 
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Just read the audition.
- Cute Monster Girl: Despite her attitude towards her own appearance.
Danny De Mentrick
Boniface Balfour and Karen Stein
- Creators: Boniface - Brekkers/Karen - Uniquely-Unoriginal Intro: 
- Boniface: Our Zombies Are Different
- Karen: Gadgeteer Genius
- Creator: DementedDustBunnies Intro: 
- Green Thumb: She seems to like growing things on peoples hands.
- Her shirt also has a Cleavage Window.
- Creator: PatiLee Intro: 
- Eyeless Face: You'd think that would make him harder to read...
- Heinz Hybrid: He's made of human, snake, bat, bear, leopard and crocodile DNA.
Ian Mc Glaugh and Shep
- Creator: UmbrellaSkylight Intro: 
- Ian: Disability Superpower - He is blind, but upon arriving to the hotel he miraculously gains vision.
- Shep: Sealed Evil in a Teddy Bear - Ref says "Human soul combined and bonded with a metal toy through voo-doo"
- Creator: Inonibird Intro: 
- Our Zombies Are Different: He is a "revenant" zombie as in he kills his meals then takes them home and eats them off a plate like a gentleman.
Kiwi and Grave Jr
- Creators: Kiwi - DoodlecrzyMeg/Grave Jr.- CirrusDark Intro: 
- Kiwi: Small Girl, Big Gun - Just change Girl to Boy, and gun to scythe and you're good to go.
- Grave Jr.: Cheshire Cat Grin - It's actually more painful for him to NOT smile.
- Creator: Critical-Error Intro: 
- The Fanservice character...until you figure out that she is actually a he.
- Out of all the crazy characters in this fantasy-based tourney, the gender confused male prostitute (see Transvestite) has to be the strangest.
- For the sake of tidiness, only the winning canon entries are troped.
Ariadne and Nergal vs Yavari and Abacus (forfeit) - Winner: Ariadne and Nergal
- Calling the Old Man Out}: Normally quiet Nergal decides to have a giant row with Ariadne after a life worth of subordination.
- I See Dead People: Ariadne starts seeing her long lost husband.
- Elephant in the Living Room: Subverted. Stylo's Elephant is noticed by everyone.
- Talent Show: Instead of fighting, they face off in a talent show inside a circus big top. This is one of the least violent match ups as a result.
Madeline, Meuff and Linear (forfeit) vs Narantulguldur and Silvano - Winner: Narantulguldur and Silvano
- Cat Fight: Silvano ends up in a very literal one.
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong?: Teufel sets the adult pair up with a first round that they can't possibly lose against a pair of children and a cat.
- Flashback Nightmare: See the entry.
Armaan and Siroh vs Natalie - Winner: Armaan and Siroh
- Would Hit a Girl: Or maul her...
- Shout-Out: Siroh has dolls of Amelia and Kelly, characters belonging to Lime In Da Cocount.
- Candyland: The match is set on a giant version of the game.
- Lava Pit: It's actually like molten caramel. Just as cancerous.
Lydia vs Wallace and Hemhem - Winner: Lydia
- Only Sane Man: Lydia seems to be picking up on the Hotels ulterior motives a lot faster than the other guests.
- The floor is filled with Empty Shells, which (completely unintentionally) leads to a victory.
- Follow the Leader: Hemhem does this with Wallace And then with Lydia
- Talk Like a Pirate : "Bye creepy mean guy who talks like a pirate!"
Caine and Mabel vs Izzy - Winner: Izzy
- Designated Girl Fight: This actually happened in both their entries; the brothers let their sisters battle it out.
Luna and Hin vs M+M and Howard - Winner: M+M and Howard
- Riddle Me This: In order to win, the contestants had to answer a series of riddles to advance. The first of which lead to A Canada joke.
- Burn Baby Burn : M+M decides to take the scenery of fire in when it's not actually trying to hurt him.
- The Cameo : Noel, character who auditioned for Hotel Haven made by The Everlastingnight.
- Get the Energy Ball is the objective. Who knows, maybe it'll come back in the future? (See Foreshadowing)
- He Knows Too Much : Sere seems to know that something isn't quite right about the staff...
Cecile and Clockie (forfeit) vs Lillian and Adelmar - Winner: Lillian and Adelmar
- Stop or I Will Shoot!: Both Lilian and Clockie make this threat.
- Meanwhile Scene: Tag along spectator Ceil has been done as a bit of a collaboration with DA users Daco-Taco and kristehvampire.
- Several other spectator characters such as Mysti and Noel show up in the dining room scene.
- Green-Eyed Monster: Somewhat surprisingly, it's mild mannered Clockie. He really does not like Adelmar hitting on Cecile.
Jouel vs Perrin and Pyotr - Winner: Perrin and Pyotr
- Cat Fight: This also happened in both entries. Of course, when you take the only two horribly mentally unstable women with large, sharp objects as weapons and pit them against each other, the claws will come out.
- Only A Fleshwound: There were quite a few Monty Python and the Holy Grail references in there.
- Perrin also hallucinates someone who may or may not be dead.
- Or Was It a Dream?: See entry.
- I See Dead People: Nami talks with a spirit that is Invisible to Normals.
- The ghost is a Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl
Lucas and Kumiho vs Moniq - Winner: Lucas and Kumiho
- Not Quite Dead: See entry.
Danny vs Boniface and Karen (forfeit) - Winner: Danny
- Clip Show: Danny's room is basically one of these.
- Booby Trap: Karen challenges Danny to face a whole room of these.
- Timed Mission: Danny has 15 minutes to hit Karen.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Danny promises to give the prize money to Karen when he wins. They become friends at this point.
- Bo lightens up a bit too, but he's not going to admit it to Danny's face any time soon...
Ian and Shep vs Masque - Winner: Ian and Shep
- Pregnant Badass: SEE ENTRY.
- The Board Game - The Game of Life.
- Empty Room Psych - When the other fights take place in lavishly designed training rooms, circus big tops, lush green woods, entire cities, fantasy worlds and on floating platforms in an endless starry sky, you can't help but feel sorry for these three getting stuck with the plain room with only a table, three chairs and a board game for several days.
Kiwi and Grave vs Mary - Winner: Mary
- Keep Away: Mary is scary when s/he's angry. I mean, there's only so many ways a male prostitute can compete against children, but still.
- The Cameo: The chase went through some of the other contestants fights.
- The Talk: "I'll tell you when you're older."
Ian and Shep (forfeit) vs Benjamin Hayward - Winner: Benjamin
- Government Conspiracy: Shep calls the hotel out on having ulteroir motives.
- Obvious Trap: Ian and Shep are being trouble makers, so Ben sets one of these up for them. After which the hotel security takes care of the rest.
- No One Could Survive That: See ending.
Ariadne and Nergal vs Armaan and Siroh - Winner: Armaan and Siroh
- The Disease That Shall Not Be Named: Siroh cough up blood and passes out at the beginning of this entry. The reason is left unspecified.
- Fun with Foreign Languages: Armaan is an extensive poet in Persian. Translate that to English and it's a four word broken sentence.
- Normally, I Would Be Dead Now: Armaan has several instances of this. Being broken, sliced, and even bombed.
- The Worf Effect: Traumen attack his weak point for maximum damage.
Lillian and Adelmar vs Marilyn - Winner: Lillian and Adelmar
- To survive the Zombie Apocalypse is their challenge.
- It also takes place in a Ghost Town version of Lillian's old home.
- When Trees Attack: It's the closest thing to fly traps and giant pineapples.
- Bloodstained Glass Windows: the glass shatters and everything.
- All Men Are Perverts: Hemhem is caught staring at parts of Doll that he really shouldn't. Also spends quite a bit of time clinging to her and even nicknamed her "Dollface".
- Chess Motifs: The round challenge is a giant game of chess of death (literally) with life size players.
- There is another Instant Costume Change, as well as there was in round 1.
- Resurrected Romance: Traumen fakes the resurrection of Lydia's dead fiancee.
Narantulguldur and Silvano vs M&M and Howard - Winner: Narantulguldur and Silvano
- Evil Matriarch: Narnar has dreams of his passed mother who encourages him to Kick the Morality Pet, and do whatever it takes to win.
Lucas and Kumiho vs Perrin and Pyotr - Winner: Perrin and Pyotr
- Dress Hits Floor: Page 4 of this entry is very misleading.
- Please Don't Leave Me: Perrin uses this line during a flashback scene, as well as a Security Cling.
- Hearing Voices: The constant bad advice given by hallucination Jack leads to a...
- Downer Ending: topped off with the line "What have I done?"
Armaan and Siroh VS Danny Dementrick - Winner: Armaan and Siroh
- Handshake Substitute: Armaan and Danny brofist.
- Elevator Action Sequence: It starts in the elevator, but the best parts take place falling down the elevator shaft.
- False Friend: Armaan plays out this trope very well in this round.
- Would Hurt a Child: The creators seem to enjoy knocking around Siroh quite a bit.
- I Don't Like You and You Don't Like Me: Words similar to these are exchanged between Adelmar and a spectator who has been carried with them, Ciel.
- Doomed Protagonist: Lillian's past in being a human experiment is catching up with her, see entry.
Lydia vs Narantulguldur and Silvano (forfeit) - Winner: Lydia
- Kick the Dog: Cat is more like it, see entry.
- Cool Versus Awesome: Hemhem uses the line "PIRATES VERSUS NINJAS?!" referring to him calling Wilton a Pirate in the second round, and calling Narantulguldur a ninja in this round.
- Anyone Can Die: Meaning the contestants own character...
Perrin and Pyotr vs Benjamin Hayward - Winner: Perrin and Pyotr
- Evil Elevator: This drags on for quite a bit.
- Ben pulls a Screw This, I'm Outta Here!, which leads to Laser-Guided Karma and There Is No Kill Like Overkill to some extent.
- Oh, No... Not Again!: This is not the first time Perrin has done something she greatly regrets without knowing it at the time.
- Clothing Damage: This leads to an Action Dress Rip, whether or not this can be considered as a Battle Strip is debatable.
- Tough Love: Jack has a lot of this.
- The Last of These Is Not Like the Others: All of the other contestants left either tried to get out, or tried to find somewhere safe from the hotel falling into hell around them. Perrin, instead, decides to go and face the hotel head on.
- Since there were only three entries, all will be troped. All three have one trope in common: Loads and Loads of Characters
Perrin and Pyotr vs Lydia - Winner: Lydia
- Both rounds contained a healthy amount of fanservice:
Perrin + Pyotr
- She's Got Legs: They've just been hiding under that huge dress all this time. See also: Nubile Savage
- Designated Girl Fight: Perrin gets into two of these.
- Berserk Button: Don't mess with the parrot. Ever.
- Giant Spider: Perrin seems to dislike them in normal size. It didn't help that one larger than a normal person jumped on her.
- Unexplained Recovery: Lydia responding to being questioned about being stabbed to death.
- Finishing Move: Perrin passes out right after.
- Evil Is One Big Happy Family: Traumen seems to think so.
- The epilogue alludes to a Evil Plan by Traumen.
- After Lydia's resurrection, she somewhat Came Back Wrong; Wilton's attmpt to save her does not go the way he intended.
- Mood-Swinger: There is much of this for Lydia in both rounds.
- Our Banshees Are Louder: Much louder.
- Burn Baby Burn: Perrin abandons her pyrophobia to attempt to burn the hotel down. It doesn't seem she really thought it though.
- There are many Slasher Smile's following this.
- Power Incontinence: Lydia is not use to her new ablities yet.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Perrin tries to save Pyotr, killing them both in the process.
- Traumen gains a Pandora's box.
Lillian and Adelmar (forfeit) VS Armaan and Siroh - Winner: Armaan and Siroh
- To Hell and Back: See entire entry.
- Once again, the creators Would Hurt a Child, luckily little Siroh is also equipped with Infant Immortality.
- The creators show us more pieces of a Dark and Troubled Past.
- Siroh, as well as the opposition and co are locked inside their worst nightmares.
- Armaan gets quite the upgrade at the end of the round.
- Then declares a new world order.
- In the audition round, most of the contestants either did not believe the dream place hotel to exist at all, or didn't believe it was real AND criticized its location. Those auditions all ended with a panel of shock and awe in the revelation that Hotel Haven was Real After All.
- There are four contestants, with a total of eight characters, that entered characters that come from the circus; and none of them were paired.
- M+M was never actually a member of a circus, but he's easily mistaken for a mime anyway.
- Out of the 51 characters entered, 18 are not human, and four of them are not from earth.
- 19 as of the end of round 3.
- The 7 hosts can be easily paired with the Seven Deadly Sins and the Seven Heavenly Virtues:
- Everyone Meets Everyone: Some people involved in Hotel Haven decided to draw every contestant. They're all crazy:
- There have been many Crack Pairings spawned by the contestants, but surprisingly some canon couples have been developed between contestants.
- Through much role playing, contestants Leafa1 and Umbrellskylight have officially paired their characters Nergal and Ian, respectively.
- After competing against each other, contestants Dementeddustbunnies creator of Deidra D, and Dama130 creator of Danny D, ignored Defeat Means Friendship and skipped straight to defeat means romance. The pairing is often referred to Double D between many of the contestants.
- Charanty in her Spectator Entries gave a very unusual twist to back stories of Beni and Sere.
- And don't forget that since she managed to tie them up together! So we expect a lot of tasty mind screw further.