Webcomic / Starfighter
Set in an undetermined date in the future, a space station houses a starfighter fleet, each ship manned by a fighter and a navigator. Navigator Abel is assigned to the notorious fighter Cain, who kicks off their partnership by permanently scarring Abel to mark him as his property, then threatening him. Forced together by circumstance and military command, Abel does his best to be a professional partner and navigator to loose-cannon Cain, while entering into a brutal, messy relationship with him even as hints arise that Cain is even more dangerous than he appears.
Can be found here.
There is a Visual Novel
based on the comic, which can be found here.NSFW for graphic sex
, but has a SFW filter page.
This webcomic contains examples of:
- The Ace: Both Cain and Abel show signs of being this: Cain's a darker and nastier version, while Abel plays it straighter, being both skilled and the first Navigator to volunteer for what may be a suicide mission.
- Art Evolution: It's not dramatic, but the comic slowly got prettier, smoother, and more professional looking over time.
- Ax-Crazy: The nastier Navigators seem to think all Fighters are this. They're probably wrong, but Cain doesn't do much to avert the stereotype. However, Praxis and Encke seem relatively stable, and there are hints that is is less an issue of disposition and more a class issue.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Cain acts like a classic Unconflicted type at the outset, but some of his behaviour might mark him as a candidate for Conflicted development, or bring him out of the category altogether.
- As of Chapter 3, Cain has gotten a lot better, and his relationship with Abel is starting to look more egalitarian.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Averted. That scar is permanent.
- Beta Couple: Keeler and Encke. While their romantical involvement is only ever implied, they do seem to have the most respectful and healthy relationship as fighter and navigator shown so far, specially true considering that most fighters and navigators dislike each other.
- Bio-Augmentation: Word of God has it that Abel and the other Navigators have this, explaining both their intellect and their uniformly pretty looks. The Fighters don't have this advantage, so they apparently have to compensate in other ways. Link here.
- Cain and Abel, natch.
- Cast Full of Pretty Boys: So far. Except for "Mother"...
- Catapult Nightmare: Abel has one of these when a dream involving Cain goes horribly wrong.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Deimos to Cain, and evidently Cain to Abel. Yeah, this is going to end well...
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: Navigators are in white uniforms with white or blond hair, Fighters have dark hair and uniforms. Almost all exceptions to the rule for Navigators are people of colour, and all of the named characters conform.
- Curse Cut Short: "You mean you can fly a starfighter but you don't know how to suck - NGH!"
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Cain has an impromptu one in his cockpit after barely missing the antimatter cannon fired by the space station at the enemy fleet. If Abel hadn't figured out his Fighter was a tad unstable before...Also, Praxis has this, while looking at a picture of Abel, and fantasizing that Abel comes to his room, all beat up, and seduces Praxis.
- Dogged Nice Guy: Praxis obviously feels Abel deserves better than someone like Cain, and has ignored warnings not to even talk to Abel at all. It's not until later that we learn that he does indeed have feelings for Abel, at the very least a physical attraction to him.
- Exty Years from Now
- Gratuitous Russian: Myshonok, also Cain is a "tsygan bastard" according to Praxis.
- Groin Attack: Cain to Praxis in Chapter 2.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Cain's interactions with Abel have this vibe at first. Not so much later...
- Jerk Ass: Cain's idea of saying hello and getting to know his new roommate/navigator involves biting his face to "mark" him as his property. As of the latest comic, it's been made clear he's warned all the other Fighters not to even talk to Abel, and he's ready to hand out a beating to Praxis for daring to speak to Abel for a few moments in the hallway.
- As of the mission into Colteron space, with Abel taking the helm more in their relationship, Cain seems to be slowly evolving into a Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Keeler. With a Motherly Side Plait.
- The Masochism Tango: A fairly literal example, as Cain gives Abel a permanent scar, and really seems to take an interest when Abel tries to punch him out and later returns the lip-scarring favour by scratching Cain bloody in the heat of the moment.
- Later chapters seems to show that their relationship is getting better.
- Military Science-Fiction
- No Name Given: Cain and Abel are only known by their codenames. Abel's birth name is given as Ethan in his dream and Cain's is revealed as Alexei later on when he talks about his past.
- No Sense of Personal Space: Deimos, where Cain is concerned. Cain can get this way around Abel, too, except Abel seems to enjoy it.
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: Messes around with this one. Was Cain being a pushy abusive jackass? Well yeah. Abel, despite being none too happy with Cain's charming personality, never tries to stop Cain, is explicitly enjoying himself, and gets off multiple times. At one point, he even tells Cain to stop...and although Cain complains, stop he does.
- Pet the Dog: Subverted at first, then more frequently with Cain as the comic goes on.
- A Real Man Is a Killer: Cain's a bloodthirsty adrenaline junkie. Abel is the type to put himself in harm's way to save a stranger's life. Guess who tops?
- Real Men Hate Affection: Interestingly, Cain doesn't seem to mind post-sex cuddling.
- Rebellious Princess: Gender-flipped, from the looks of Abel's backstory.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Naming your protagonists "Cain" and "Abel"? Obviously, happy and fluffy times are ahead.
- The eavesdropping fighter is named Deimos, one of Ares' twins sons who followed him into battle. Deimos seems to have a...thing for the very war-like Cain. You do the math.
- The latest page has introduced the Terran battleship Sleipnir.
- Scars Are Forever: Cain bites Abel's lip after being partnered together, the remaining scar marking him as Cain's "bitch".
- Sensitive Guy and Manly Man: Abel and Cain respectively.
- Shout-Out: The name of the space fighter Abel helps rescue? The Tiberius. Coincidence? I think not.
- Also, one of the nasty Navigators in the lift is code-named Porthos.
- Space Navy
- Starfighter: Of course.
- Unsound Effect
- Weak, but Skilled: The Navigators. They're designed that way: see above under Bio-Augmentation.
- Wham Line: "We are losing this war."
- World of Badass: Justified, since this is a military base during what is, presumably, a large-scale war.