is a fantasy webcomic by Novil and Powree, better known as the creators of Sandra and Woo
. The story revolves around a fantasy world called Gaia, where a magical conflict that started at the beginning of the world has lasting repercussions in the present day. In a country called Cania, currently locked in a cold war with one of their neighbors, Midgard, a group of friends are unexpectedly thrust into the middle of a situation that could result in war, or even a threat to life itself.
Gaia contains examples of:
- Alien Lunch: Ars makes one out of a variety of potion ingredients. Which ends with a small explosion.
- All There in the Manual: While the characters are introduced normally in the webcomic, the webcomic is accompanied by extra sections explaining the setting.
- Arc Words: "Will you come along?"
- Big Damn Heroes: Ars becomes one when he saves two girls from an assassin during the Red Hall attack.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Bluestream magic is generally blue, and Redstream red.
- Converse with the Unconscious:
- Unknown: "Will you come along?"
- Various People: "hathitw/ lmost anyone. I’m af/ s nothing we can do for him/ sorry. Ilias, can you hear me?/ ase wake up, Ilias. Have you hea/ d? They caught one of these murder/ ers! How’s he doing? No signs of re/ covery. I brought you flowers, I h/ ope you like them. Look who came f/ visit! Give him half a liter o/ vlar dilution. Yesterday/ owing minor reaction/ Wake up!"
- Ilias: "...Yes, I will. wherever you go..."
- Expy: Viviana bears more than a passing resemblance to Larissa.
- Fake-Out Make-Out: Unsurprisingly, Viviana and Ilias end up doing one while Undercover as Lovers.
- Faking the Dead: Viviana stabs herself in the chest (probably using a fake blood bag) in order to throw an opponent off guard and let her escape.
- Fanservice: Whether the last panel of this page was or was not fanservice was in debate for a short time until Novil stated that not showing skin at that point would be as stupid as showing skin without reason. note
- Gut Punch : That panel. See Wham Episode entry below.
- Hold Your Hippogriffs: "Sent back to Gaia" for death, "jump in the void" for "go to hell."
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Sandril is a dick to most people, but he really does love Lili.
- Love Triangle: A semi-platonic Type 7 between Lili, Ilias and Sandril.
- Magic Knight: Ryn is a traditional example, who has two thirds training as a Fighter, and one third as a Wizard. Others like Ilias and Sandril may qualify.
- Magitech: There are cameras, sophisticated security systems, etc, all which run on magic.
- Meaningful Name: The Red Hall arc.
- Mind Screw: When Viviana is lost in the woods, the resulting scene is very creepy. First she hears a strange sound that grows so loud that she's deafened, then wanders around trying to find her way out. She eventually sees a figure through a bank of fog that turns out to be herself after she gives chase, causing her to faint and hit her head on a rock.Then a portal opens and she's attacked by monstrous creatures, only to wake up to find that she can hear again and stumbles out of the woods.
- Names to Run Away From Really Fast: Bhaal, a Demon God. Seemingly subverted with Lili—her full name is Lilith, but to all appearances she's the nicest person in the comic.
- Oh My Gods!: Viviana swears by Bhaal.
- Pretty Butterflies: Introduces a chapter by a butterfly flight acting as a pan.
- Remember the New Guy: After the Red Hall attack, Ilias asks his mother about his "other friends" (besides Lili, Sandril, Alissa, and Ryn), and she responds that one is dead and the other moved away after the attack—in the lead-up to the attack, however, neither was anywhere to be seen.
- Ship Tease: Ilias and Viviana, who have gone Undercover as Lovers and kissed, as well as other moments.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Viviana has been getting more screentime than the supposed main characters, and polls as by far the most popular character among readers.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: A masked man pulls the Hi version on Lilith.
- Strange Syntax Speaker: Ars will always speak in third-person, future tense. Other imps will also talk this way.
- The Alleged Steed: Viviana's horse Casper.
- Third-Person Person: Imps speak this way.
- Wham Episode: The first chapter. The world and the cast are just been introduced to the audience, the plot revolves around the main characters trying to get their fighter and wizard degrees at the local academy. There are no threats nor good reasons to put them on adventure. And then, during the academy's prom night, some masked men teleport themselves right into the prom and start a killing spree among the students and the teachers.
- White Magic / Black Magic: The Bluestream is Gaia's magic, while the Redstream is Bhaal's.
- World Tree: The Great Tree of Greendew is described in the glossary as a massive, divine tree as old as life itself.
- Wrench Wench: Viviana enjoys building Magitek devices.