How evil!Evil Inc.
is a superhero Webcomic
created by Brad Guigar, that started running in May 2005 and currently updates Monday-Friday (with occasional Saturday filler strips
). Somewhat of a continuation
of Guigar's previous strip, Greystone Inn
, it revolves around the titular company which is run, staffed and provides entirely legitimate services for supervillains. Its CEO is Evil Atom, a once powerful and feared supervillain who is now somewhat past his prime.
The main character of the strip was initially Lightning Lady, the Ensemble Dark Horse
of Greystone Inn
who at the beginning of the strip takes a job at Evil Inc. as a secretary- Later on, the strip gradually changed focus towards Captain Heroic, the number one hero in the unnamed city the strip is set in, and Miss Match, another Evil Inc. employee (though Lightning Lady still appears regularly in Saturday comics). A while into the strip (a point which Guigar has once called the "official" launch of Evil Inc.) it's revealed that the two are married and have a son, Oscar. Their opposite moral alignments has caused some conflict but they appear to be Happily Married
Though the strip is mostly gag-a-day
, there have been several story arcs as well
This webcomic provides examples of:
- 555: Samantha's phone number
- All There in the Manual: Inverted. "Bio cards" with information about cast members, including background and powers, occasionally run as a day's strip.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Memo. Created due to an accident at the Evil, Inc. Science Fair involving Lightning Lady's Robot Duplicate, Dr. Muskiday's matter-animator ray, and Dr. Haynus' Coincidence Inducer, it turns out that his animation is due to being possessed by the ghost of Silver Age villain Mind Master.
- Anti-Hero: The alternate Captain Heroic claims he's this.
Miss Match: So you're a villain?
Alt Cap: I prefer "anti-hero".
Miss Match: And I prefer "extra-legal capital liberator", but the cops just laugh.
- Art Evolution: Originally, the artwork in the strip was black-and-white in a similar style to Greystone Inn; starting in mid-February 2008, the strip switched to full color. In later strips some characters' faces become more realistic, starting with the women but then expanding to most characters.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: "My name is The Mind Master. Master of telekinesis, rotary-club chairman and three-time president of the Optimist Club..."
- Artifact of Doom: The Ruby of Ragnoor.
- Art Shift: The adults in the flashbacks to Captain Heroic's School Days are drawn in a highly realistic style. Cap...not so much.
- Which can be taken as Fridge Brilliance, as the flashback is basically a look into Cap's memories.
- Back from the Dead: Memo.
- Bad-Guy Bar: Beezle Pub.
- Bad Santa: Evil Atom decides to recruit Santa Claus, reasoning that he shows all the signs of being a classic villain. Santa surprisingly accepts - and promptly gets carted off by the Feds.
Lightning Lady: And if he says no?
Evil Atom: Then he is a deer-and-present danger.
- Basement-Dweller: Grandgamer
- Captain Heroic rejects using Grandgamer's wish to give Oscar superpowers for fear he'll become this.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: Miss Match makes a wish, using an Artifact of Doom, to give her fellow villains Laser-Guided Amnesia after they find out about her marriage. Too bad Cap was masquerading as Dark Hood at the time...
- Before I Change My Mind
Captain Heroic: Muskiday?
Dr. Muskiday: Yes?
- Bland-Name Product: "U-Tug"
- Brain Bleach: Both Captain Heroic and Miss Match get chills from the Unfortunate Implications of the thought of Commander Heroic "appealing" to Flame. Little do they know...
- Brain in a Jar: Dr. Haynus is one of these - given mobility through being mounted atop the head of the family dog.
- Brought Down to Normal: Captain Heroic. He recovers.
- Canon Welding: Pretty much every character from Greystone Inn (with one exception, see Expy) has showed up in the strip at one point or another.
- Cat Fight: When two groups of heroes come to blows over whether or not to destroy Evil, Inc, both sides are brought to a grinning standstill by Blonde Bombshell and Amazing Amazon squaring off in mid-flight.
- Chekhov's Gun: Project X. Later returns to become a Chekhov's Boomerang.
- Cleavage Window: Psy-Chick's and Phenomenal Lass' uniforms have these.
- Clothing Damage: Miss Match decides to sober up Desdemona by setting her on fire, as she's a demon and won't burn, but the alcohol will. It works, but they forgot her uniform wasn't fireproof...
- Code Name: But of course.
- Comes Great Responsibility: Said word-for-word by Captain Heroic as he and Miss Match debate how to use Grandgamer's wish.
Miss Match: If you have the power of a god, you're not responsible to anybody.
Captain Heroic: No, I'm responsible to everybody.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Actually, since everyone in the corporation is a villain (for the most part), it's more of a corrupt corporation.
- Cosmic Being: Grandgamer (and his parents).
- Cut and Paste Comic: The Saturday strips use a small set of different sets of art with changed dialogue. At first they were Lighting Lady acting as Sexy Tech Support; later they became a series of puns on department names, while still later the scene shifted to the cafeteria's menu. Best so far? "Ghoulash".
- Cute Monster Girl: Subverted. Desdemona is a demon, but in appearance is 100% human. Except the tail.
- Cut Lex Luthor a Check: The entire point of the company.
- Though it should be said, they mostly sell inventions to supervillains, and most of their corporate strategies involve somehow getting stockholders behind super-villainy. They aren't so much selling their fancy techonlogies to the regular consumers.
- Dating Catwoman: Captain Heroic and Miss Match aren't just dating, they're married.
- Deadpan Snarker: Everybody.
- Demonic Possession: How Beez makes it to Evil, Inc. to investigate Memo. And as it turns out, Memo himself.
Mister Cifer: Hello, Beez. Did I wake you?
Beez: Nah, I was just doin' an exorcize video.
- Did You Just Polymorph Cthulhu?: During his match against Captain Heroic during Grandgamer's tournament, Evil Atom wears down Cap by using his mastery over atoms (= matter) to change Grandgamer, a Cosmic Being, into a duplicate of himself!.
- Disembodied Eyebrows: Evil Atom gets these when Captain Heroic interrupts his fight with Miss Match.
Cap: As soon as your eyebrows land back on your head, I'll explain...
- Double Entendre: Used often.
Evil Atom: Try not to look like a credit-card lobbyist.
Believe me, there's nothing plastic
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Matter manipulation makes this possible.
Grandgamer: Evil Atom is still steamed. He spent the afternoon imploding planets in a nearby solar system.
- Evil Inc.: A-durr.
- Evil Lawyer Joke: But of course.
Evil Atom: If you think heroes are tough, wait until you face trademark attorneys.
- Evil Pays Better: The reason Captain Heroic rejects the idea of using Grandgamer's wish to turn Miss Match into a hero.
- Expy: Word of God confessed that Memo (a sentient memo, animated in an accident involving Dr. Muskiday's Matter Animator that communicates via writing) is an Expy of Greystone Inn's Narrator.
- Face-Heel Turn: Phenomenal Lass.
- Also, Elastic Man, although it's mainly Played for Laughs in his case.
- Among others...
You're not the first hero to ask for this, you know. We've had a revolving door
installed for Mystique
- Faceless Eye: Oculore
- Fake Boobs: While Desdemona is all natural, it's implied Lightning Lady is not.
- Fan Boy: Don Luke Piccardo. Guess what he's obsessed with.
Don Luke: (discussing his choice of toy train)
Number One? N-gauge
- Five-Bad Band:
- Flashback Effects: Flashbacks are shown in a slightly faded, Newspaper Comic style.
- Flying Brick: Commander Heroic, Captain Heroic
- Foreshadowing: Used to good effect here.
- Four Girl Ensemble: Psy-Chick, Lightning Lady, Desdemona and Miss Match team up to steal a superweapon. Turns out it's Project X...
- Giant Enemy Crab: Rock Lobster
- God Guise: An exploration of Memo's origns results in almost everyone believing he's the Second Coming, including the man downstairs.
- Go Through Me: The alternate Miss Match tells Muskiday he'll have to do this if he wants to shoot Captain Heroic with Project X. He shoots anyway. And the alternate Captain Heroic takes the shot.
- Groin Kick: Miss Match delivers one to the alternate Captain Heroic.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Dr. Muskiday is essentially a humanoid fly, his condition the result of a teleporter accident. He inverts the usual order of things though, in that the original Dr. Muskiday was the fly while the human was a janitor who mistook Muskiday's teleporter experiment for a trash can.
- Handsome Lech: Iron Dragon.
Lightning Lady: You chase everything in a skirt!
Iron Dragon: I never wore a skirt a day in my life...except that once. And that was with someone I loved...and her girlfriend.
- Heel-Face Turn: Played with. Amazing Amazon tries to discredit Lightning Lady by dressing as her to make it look like she's done this. It works so well that LL's attempts to prove she's evil just make it "worse". She eventually has to do a genuinely heroic act to keep from dissapointing a little girl who idolises her. Who, it turns out, was being paid by Amazing Amazon...
- Hero Insurance: One of the services Evil Inc. provides is "Battlefield Location and Booking" which seeks out abandoned locations for villains and heroes to battle to avoid lawsuits from any property damage and casualties.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Captain Heroic and Wingman; Haynus and Muskiday.
- Hollywood CB: Muskiday hams it up with CB lingo when he steals Project X from storage in a truck. The real truckers on the frequency are not impressed.
Trucker: Did he really just say "lot lizard"?
- Horny Devil: Desdemona.
- Impossibly-Low Neckline: Lightning Lady and Desdemona most prominently.
- LL's alternate-universe self "utilises a special Nth-metal underwire".
- Improv Fu: Muskiday and Haynus ad-lib the latter having a "force field" to explain their "capturing" the alternate Miss Match to Up'n Atom. Only a very short time later, Haynus shows off a working force-field generator...
While you were picking up Project X
, I got creative...
- Incredibly Lame Pun / Just for Pun: The entire strip runs on these tropes.
"Human Flame...fired. Micro-Lad...down-sized. Executioner...axed. Undertaker...deep-sixed..."
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Guess how Iron Dragon got his villain name.
- Instant Costume Change: Subverted. The alternate Miss Match ducks into an alleyway to change into her super-costume...and has to change like a perfectly normal person (giving a nice sideboob shot), which starts drawing a crowd (including the villain she's trying to thwart). She winds up finishing her costume change on a rooftop.
Alternate Miss Match:
I bet Spider-Woman
never had this problem...
- Ironic Echo: When Evil, Inc. is in Washington, DC seeking a bailout.
: You can't set all of those villains loose on America!
Evil Atom: Yes. We. Can.
- "Hey! Y'know what? Your head kinda looks like a helium atom!"
- Kirby Dots: Used as a measure of power in-universe. Rock Lobster has a reading of 50 kds (Kirby Dots/second).note
- Klingon Promotion: Dr. Haynus takes this route to become Commander Heroic's arch-nemesis.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: The Ruby of Ragnoor storyline is all about this - and, specifically, its effect on Cap after Miss Match inadvertently wishes away his memory of their marriage.
- Lava Adds Awesome: the fight between Captain Heroic and Wingman. Cap has no problem with having bathed in lava to retrieve his Commander USA secret decoder ring, which he then uses to knock Wingman out.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: This happens occasionally, especially with Grandgamer.
- Love Makes You Evil: Elastic Man's reason for becoming a Fallen Hero.
- Luke, I Might Be Your Father: Commander Heroic has a heart attack in mid-flight ("helped" by the fact Mr. Threat has been siphoning off his powers) when he sees Flame babysitting Oscar, and realises Miss Match might be his daughter. Thankfully, she isn't, and he gets better.
- The Mafia: Evil, Inc is hired by the Mafia to steal one family's "superweapon" for another. It turns out it's Project X.
- The Masquerade Will Kill Your Dating Life: Lightning Lady and Elastic Man (type 3A).
- Mirror Universe: Muskiday and Haynus visit one. The heroes are villains and the villains are heroes... Or are they?
- The Mole: Dr. Whoosh.
- Most Common Superpower: And how.
- Must Have Caffeine: Captain Heroic's coffee addiction comes in unexpectedly handy in a fight with Lightning Lady.
- My Dad Can Thwart Your Dad
- My God, What Have I Done?: Flame's reaction to Commander Heroic's heart attack.
- Offered the Crown: Following being shrunk and becoming lost, Muskiday becomes the King of the Flies.
- Only Sane Man: Keagan.
- Persona Non Grata: Dr. Muskiday's back massager resulted in Evil, Inc. being forbidden from conducting business in the state of Utah.
- Pity the Kidnapper: Phenomenal Lass decides kidnapping a security guard would be a good act of villainy. She didn't count on the fact that nine other guards would tag along wanting her to kidnap them too.
- Playing with Fire: Miss Match, Flame.
- Poke the Poodle: A recyclable container! The fiend!
- Powered Armor: Commander Heroic has a set made for Oscar, complete with Rocket Boots, so he can keep up with the other superkids.
- Oscar gets an upgrade later, along with a set for the Brought Down to Normal Captain Heroic, when they have to fight Oculore.
- Power Nullifier: Project X, aka the Null Gun. And Oculore's power removal bomb derived from it.
- Dr. Muskiday built a set of power-draining cuffs for use on Lighting Lady. They come in handy during a heist, but were built with recreational applications in mind.
Lightning Lady! I didn't expect you to interfere with my plans! Actually... I did
- Power Perversion Potential: The reason production of the Super-Power Drainer was discontinued.
You'd be surprised how many disgusting uses there are for "Plastic Man
- Psychic Powers: Psy-Chick.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Part of Miss Match's strategy for defeating Elastic Man (along with some whispering...)
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis! - Dr. Muskiday doesn't like it when Dr. Haynus reminds him of how he recycles sci-fi props to contain his inventions.
Muskiday: It. Was. A. Back. Massager!
- Put on a Bus: Keagan following his breakup with Lightning Lady.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Miss Match. (More orange-ish, really, but it fits with the "flame".) Originally seen only in close-ups when angry but later (with Art Evolution) consistently.
- Retirony: During the Henchman Retirement arc, a single henchman lasted until the age of 65, and naturally he's a little nervous, and the company worried because of a $28 million per year pension. The accidental death was caused by a stray champagne cork during the celebration.
- Ring of Power: Dr. Muskiday invents a power ring that, instead of being powered by a user's emotion, changes to fit the user's emotions...a Power Mood Ring.
Muskiday: In righteous day or boogie night, no jive or funk escapes my sight...
- Actual Rings of Power gave Commander Heroic and Ms. Amazing their powers. They double as their wedding rings.
- Robot Me: Miss Match builds a robot duplicate of Lightning Lady for the Evil Inc. Invention Contest.
- Saving Christmas: Spoofed several ways. Lightning Lady has to do this after Santa gets arrested, and after she says she's saving Christmas, she has to take a number in a line of all the other fictional characters who have done so.
- Secret Relationship: Captain Heroic and Miss Match. Evil Atom is NOT happy when he finds out.
- Sexy Secretary: Lightning Lady; later, Desdemona. LL continues as Sexy Tech Support in the Saturday strips.
- Shame If Something Happened: Evil Atom tries to use this against Captain Heroic after he learns about Cap's marriage to Miss Match.
Evil Atom: Any kids? And if they're not invulnerable, neither are you...
- Shape Shifter: Elastic Man.
- Shape Shifter Default Form: Elastic Man has two, his standard form and his true form
- Shipper on Deck: When Dr. Muskiday tells Lightning Lady's mother that he believes LL should be 'treated like a princess', he's told "call me mom".
- Shock and Awe: Lightning Lady.
- Shout-Out: The comic is full of them, with "mainstream" comic heroes being off-handedly referenced or appearing as background silhouettes.
- Space Pirate: Captain Scarr.
- The Starscream: Dr. Haynus.
- Stripperiffic: The alternate Miss Match wears a somewhat...skimpier outfit than the prime unvierse's.
Alternate Miss Match: ...seems like overkill to use an entire hanger...
- Super Powerful Genetics: Captain Heroic and Miss Match are both Type 1s. Oscar appears to be a type 5 (so far).
- Cap is, apparently, actually a Type 3, given that Commander Heroic and Ms. Amazing got their powers from an ancient Egyptian artifact.
- Taking You with Me: When they team up to bury a villain Dr. Haynus poisoned, Haynus threatens Muskiday with this if he gets caught. Muskiday isn't very impressed.
Muskiday: I'll add it to my long list of accomplice-ments.
- Talking with Signs: There exists a sentient piece of paper who can only communicate this way. He used to be a narration box in the strip.
- Thinking Up Portals: Desdemona can generate portals to travel through.
- Those Two Guys: Muskiday and Haynus.
- To Hell and Back: Iron Dragon does this to save Desdemona from an Arranged Marriage. Her father runs the place, after all.
- Twin Threesome Fantasy: Captain Heroic's initial reaction when he learns the true identity of the alternate Miss Match.
- And Keagan gets to live it with Lightning Lady and her android double.
- Umbrella Drink: Desdemona is quite fond of daiquris.
Miss Match: We've got to be the only people on Earth trying to cast spirits out of a demon.
- The Unfair Sex: Captain Heroic has caught his wife, Miss Match, kissing another man. She manages to make him seem like the bad guy for being bothered by it. In her defense, she was in a bad position due to work, and was attempting to avoid a situation where she'd genuinely cheat on him, and she seems genuinely unhappy about how easily she manages to turn the argument on him.
- Vehicular Sabotage: Evil Atom's car is (presumably) disabled by Lightning Lady when she thinks he's replacing her. When she learns she's being promoted, she advises him to take a cab.
- Villain Protagonist: Surprisingly averted, considering the comic's setting. The comic doesn't seem to have a focus on any one protagonist, instead focusing on the politics in and surrounding the corporation.
- Villainesses Want Heroes: Miss Match and Captain Heroic, Lightning Lady and Elastic Man...
- Villainous BSOD: Evil Atom's reaction to Captain Heroic's Badass Bluff that his his wish to Grandgamer was "anything that happens to my family, happens to yours".
- This becomes Paranoia Fuel for Atom later, when his wife buys a new pink slip right after he fires Miss Match.
- Vomit Discretion Shot: After biting into a doughnut containing a shrunken, spying Muskiday, Desdemona rushes off-panel with a very green face.
- World of Buxom: Try and find a female character without significant curves. We'll wait.
- World of Pun: There's barely a strip without some sort of pun.
- Wreathed in Flames: Miss Match, especially her alternate.
- Writing Around Trademarks: Grandgamer's teleport sound.
Captain Heroic: 'Bomf'?
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Phenomenal Lass
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: In test form even
- You Need a Breath Mint: According to Captain Heroic, Evil Atom needs one.
- "You're Not My Type": Oculore crushes - hard - on Blonde Bombshell. Much to her disgust.