Left: Edmund. Right: One of the sanest people he's met.
Meet Edmund Finney, a man traveling the world
, searching for... well, for the meaning of life.
The Only Sane Man
in a mad, mad, world,
Edmund has to deal with Ax-Crazy
lunatics, monsters, cannibals, aliens, advertising companies, corporate CEO's, insanely high gas prices, musical pirates, the odd Monster Clown
, and far, far more. He reacts to it all with a calm rationality
... well, when he's not running away screaming.
Keep in mind that a lot of the humour comes from subverting
, double subverting
and zig zagging
various tropes and expected punchlines.
You can read it here.
Tropes that apply to this webcomic are:
- Alt Text: That little paintbrush icon on the left? Hover your mouse over that and you'll see some things Edmund wrote in his notebook. (Although, not for every comic.)
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: http://eqcomics.com/2009/10/23/monster-games/
- "Bang!" Flag Gun: Used here and here.
- Beat Panel: This.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch and Yeti: Both have appeared.
- Captain Colorbeard: Captain Twobeard.
- Cassandra Truth: To be fair, it's highly improbable.
- Chainsaw Good: Chainsaw Chaz.
- Chew Bubblegum: Parodied here.
- Christmas Episode: One or two.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Everyone. Including the author, who is terrified that someday a squirrel will fall on his head, and is worried that miniature people will shoot him while he's making popcorn.
- Crazy-Prepared: Edmund himself, according to Word of God.
- Felony Misdemeanor: Zig-Zagged here.
- Fiction500: That bad, huh?
- Fridge Logic: While the crazy people in the asylum may seem simplistically, offensively crazy, a moment's thought reveals that anyone crazy enough to be committed in this world has to be nuts.
- Halloween Episode: One every year! There have been four so far.
- Glass-Shattering Sound: According to the Alt Text, this.
- Global Warming: This strip, as well as being invoked and parodied here.
- I Don't Like the Sound of That Place: http://eqcomics.com/2010/10/12/an-ominous-island/
- I'm a Humanitarian: this guy. And this one. Subverted with the Cannibal Tribe.
- Lampshade Hanging: ...
- Literal-Minded: Literal Lord Werriam.
- Mathematician's Answer: "Is this guy the sheriff or the town drunk?" "Yes."
- Magic Feather: Parodied here.
- Monster Clown: This. And this. As well as this for good measure.
- Morton's Fork: here. Edmund tries to Take a Third Option. It doesn't work.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: It's the snakes.
- Only Sane Man: Edmund.
- Pants-Free: The man at the information desk.
- Shout-Out: Two in this strip, one to Jurassic Park and one to Romeo and Juliet.
- Squee: Played with here. And again, with this.
- Title Drop: Not the title of the comic itself, but for each of the two book collections:
- Totem Pole Trench: Horribly subverted.
- Unfazed Everyman: Edmund is always polite and calm, whether he's dealing with pirates, aliens, or lunatics.
- Writing by the Seat of Your Pants: Dan has stated that he doesn't plan ahead, just sits down with a blank piece of paper and draws whatever comes into his head.
- Wrong Turn at Albuquerque: Referenced in the Alt Text for this strip.