''That's who we are, the one's who laugh at Death's face.
The one's who return to their garden
the flowers that should have never been picked."
Badirfilay is a mangaesque horror/comedic web comic that started in 2012. The story is written and illustrated by Nessa Ninona with co-author credit given to Ada Ninona.
The setting is a Steampunk
version of late 19th century Barcelona, Spain where the living dead are quite normal. The story enforces the belief that there are people who live and die while believing that Fate has done a wrong and choose to rebel against it. There are also people who learn to control death and all its occurences. These include reversal
, speeding up, or prevention. Enter the main characters who are more than willing to help the former with their expertise in the latter.
Members of the organization Mourning Order and so called doctors Valdemar (formerly Crow Strelnikov) and his Butt Monkey
assitant Grim roam the Earth in black-clad uniforms providing aid to those whose lives or deaths are seen as unjust. Using a complex and often accutely precise combination of science and Black Magic
, they look to perform all that is asked of them. Even if it means their own deaths...
As of recent updates, the comic can only be read on the website MangaMagazine and the first chapter can be found here
This webcomic contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: Traversing the threshold between life and death is described by the Countess as a "pain so intense, that no one in life, not even in their worst tortures, has ever experienced." Due to the body's release of endorphins upon death, normal people never feel this; in fact, death is quite pleasurable to those who experience it. However, if you find yourself dying over and over again like Valdemar, chances are your endorphins run out soon, leaving you completely defenseless to the pain.
- Butterfly of Death and Rebirth: One of the motifs throughout the comic. The comic name itself is the transliterated Spanish version of butterfly.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Valdemar is none too pleased with his real name Crow Strelnikov, denoting his contempt for the past. As a child, he was haunted by the banshees.
- Death Is Cheap
- Driven to Suicide: Despite her immortality, Renata Fennix often attempted to slit her wrists, always failing.
- Eye Scream: What confirms the death of Valdemar.
- The Ferry Man: Kharon of the Shaded Green River. Just don't expect him to have spare change.
- Heaven: Dubbed Finsternis, "the other side". Think less Fluffy Cloud Heaven, more The Amazon.
- Horsing Around: How Margarida Rovira died.
- Incredible Shrinking Man: While in Finsternis, expect to see butterflies the size of your head and toucans with feathers as long as a man's abdomen.
- Kill Her Already: Dr. Torvax does this to Valdemar regarding Renata and her TEAL extraction.
- Life Energy: The substance TEAL is a bodily fluid that when removed from someone kills them. However, when injected into a corpse, the body is assumably reborn.
- Mercy Kill: Thus far, only Renata, after her body became shriveled and bony.
- Mummy: Rubella and Dr. Torax are undead and wrapped in bandages. However, they don't have the whole Pharaoh part.
- Only Mostly Dead: Pretty much everyone, especially Valdemar.
- Our Banshees Are Louder: Valdemar uses his Black Magic by summoning two banshees.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Zombies are normal occurrences and, though grabby, don't want to eat your brains.
- Rapunzel Hair/Prehensile Hair: Kharon's algae like hair.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Kharon on this chapter title page. Though a Waistcoat of Style variation, still very sharp indeed.
- The introduction quotes Edgar Allan Poe, using his analysis on "the death then of a beautiful woman" from the 1846 work "The Philosophy of Composition".
- Skeleton Key: Valdemar has a Autorizacion Universal, a card that one flashes to get into secret or forbidden areas
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: One of the many problems Valdemar sees in his practice. First exhibited with Renata.