(often referred to by its shorthand, "YTP") is a Neo-Dada
art form consisting of video remixes that are edited from a large array of video clips in order to confuse
the viewer. The source material can be mashed all together into a nonsensical Cross Over
story, or just repeat footage of the characters gesticulating oddly or apparently saying something dirty over and over and over again
. There are also well-known phrases such as "PINGAS"◊
or "Do a Barrel Roll!"◊
started with SuperYoshi
testing out Windows Movie Maker, a new piece of software he found in his newly installed Windows XP, using the episode "Recycled Koopa" from The Super Mario Bros. 3 cartoon
. The result was a video containing a few clips from the episode repeated and used in a random manner. Later he put this video as The Adventures of Super Mario Bros. 3 Remixed on December 22, 2004, up on his SheezyArt
page. The video was well received and SuperYoshi together with his friend RetroJape
made similiar remixes using The Mega Man
Cartoon and later Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. A few more of SuperYoshi's friends joined and started putting their videos on YouTube
in order to confuse and anger people who were otherwise looking for regular Super Mario
or Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog
videos. The first three Poops have been brought to YouTube later as I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL
, Dr. Light's Guidance System Show
and Robotnik's Sodomy Fest of 2005
Interestingly, two precursors to the YouTube Poop can be found in Daffy Duck in Hollywood
, a 1938
short in which Daffy edits a film reel to produce this
, and Cult Toons
, a TV show made for Cartoon Network
UK that mixed old Hanna-Barbera
cartoons like The Perils of Penelope Pitstop
with wrestling, kung fu, and blaxploitation
movies for cheap laughs. Richard Nixon
even put out an attack ad
on Hubert Humphrey
in the 1968 presidential campaign that bears a surprising similarity to Poop conventions. Going further back, YouTube Poop can be compared to the Dada
art movement of the early 20th century, which was based on being nonsensical.
It was not until people like The Electric Cheese
got to know about these videos and started making ones themselves that the term Youtube Poop
was used for them and that they increased in popularity.
With the growing popularity YouTube Poop
shifted from being videos that confuse people who were looking for regular videos (in fact, the people who started it are more fond of "WTF?" comments than people commenting or repeating the parts they liked in the video and were dismissive of the term Youtube Poop
for a long time) to videos that entertain people by using video sources that have become iconic with the name Youtube Poop
Although most of the Youtube Poop videos are made in English, there is a lively YTP scene producing videos in other languages, too, e.g. in Russian (called "RYTP" = "Russian Youtube Poop"), German (German Youtube Poop is commonly called "Youtube-Kacke" and is a literal translation of the original name), Spanish and many others.
Aside from the aforementioned cartoons above, among the staples included cutscenes from the Philips CD-i video games
. Many other sources of varying notability have been used in YTPs.
Have a gander at the Forums
YTPs with their own pages:
YouTube Poopers with their own pages:
Tropes commonly invoked with these videos:
- Accidental Innuendo: Attention is often drawn to it through videos that take lines out of context to make them sound dirty.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: Uses at least 90% of them.
- Arc Words: "joj," and "sus."
- Author Appeal: Many poopers reuse certain source footage. For instance, one pooper may focus mainly on Billy Mays material, one on CD-i cutscenes, etc.
- Beat: Somewhat common in poops, undoubtedly used to show that a character is either Too Dumb to Live or Comically Missing the Point. Here's an example from Link Discovers Ganon's Least Favorite Colour:
Gwonam: It is written that only Link can defeat Ganon and Link is in space.
The King: We're going to be under attack by the evil forces of Ganon!
- Berserk Button: Naturally, what will piss off a character in a YTP depends on the pooper, but there are some things that will be a Berserk Button for a character no matter whose YTP they're in. For starters, whenever someone messes with The King's dinner, it never ends well for them.
- Big Damn Heroes: You wouldn't think that YouTube Poops would have something like it, but in "- Gwonam The Extortionist throws King Harkinian into Financial Chaos", it's Ganon that pulls this off. It's followed with a Badass Boast.
Ganon: I will make your face DIE.
Gwonam: My face...
Ganon: Your face.
Gwonam: ...will die.
Ganon: Will die.
- Black Comedy: "Billy Mays - Suicide Putty"
- Blipvert: This poop contains an example from 1:33 to 1:36.
- Butt Monkey: Considering the nature of YouTube Poop, everybody has been this trope at least once, but there are some characters who appear in Youtube Poop almost exclusively as a Butt Monkey. Duke Onkled from The Legend Of Zelda C Di Games is a notable example, partly because he was already a Dirty Coward in the game. Luigi from the The Super Mario Bros. Super Show is another, partly because of the "Mama Luigi" episode, which had Yoshi thinking Luigi was his mama, and Mario laughing at this.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Often, some characters will do bizarre, random things or spout absolute nonsense due to Rule of Funny.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In the more vulgar varieties of YTP.
Are you fed up with trying to shit in a dark room? Tired of getting out of bed every night just to shit?
- Comically Missing the Point: In many instances. For example, take any scene, and zoom in on some person or object in the background or off to the side, and make a big deal of it. Another great example is how important the wheeze is from the line "That's 'Mama Luigi' to you, Mario! *wheeze*"—important enough that commenters will observe when it is missing. This may also be used to point out Off Model moments.
- Continuity Nod: Happens rarely, but some poopers do reference events in previous poops. This, for example, is a reference to this.
- Crapsaccharine World: Due to the nature of Youtube Poops, this usually happens to the setting that they take place in. A notable victim of this trope is Hyrule, which is often portrayed as a seemingly stable kingdom but ruled by a tyrant and his often depraved royal servants. Recently, Equestria is also getting this treatment in poops, not really helped by the fact that the Princess which rules over it has been dubbed "Trollestia" by the fans of the actual show.
- Deadpan Snarker: Not as common of an archtype as you would think, as most characters in YTP tend to ignore the "deadpan" part and outright snark or insult another character. As a result, those who appear in vids almost exclusively as one are usually such in canon, such as Kyon from Haruhi Suzumiya and Frollo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Many poops have a character repeat themselves. "A British nanny, must be a nanny."
- Depending On The Pooper: A result of Alternate Character Interpretation. Some characters can go from being a Jerk Ass in one poop to The Ditz or a Reality Warper in others.
- Deranged Animation: Madanonymous and poopers like him make these.
- Downer Ending: Despite all of the YTPs being funny in some way, some of them do end in some sort of sad, or at least bittersweet, manner.
- Drop The Cow: A popular way to end YTPs, especially the Everything Explodes Ending subtrope.
- Everyone Is Gay: Happens a lot, and when it does, it's turned Up to Eleven. The King's Secret is a good example.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Many YTPs have titles this easily applies to, often because there isn't much to describe. This applies especially often to titles of the form "X does Y for Z minutes." (Sometimes with an added note about fitting or unfitting music played.) This would be an example.
- Interrupting Meme: Some poops replace random nouns with "SPAGHETTI" or "PINGAS".
- Forced Meme: The ratio of genuine memes to forced memes in the YTP community is probably greater than 1:10.
- Freeze Frame Bonus: Some poopers will insert text messages that are only visible by pausing the video.
- Heh Heh, You Said X: It's a staple of most YTP in general, but especially of the "this video will be flagged" variety.
- Ice Cream Koan: Some of the more comprehensible sentence-mixed nonsense could be interpreted as this. Take, for instance, this video:
"There are no dames like a book
And nothing looks like a book
There are no drinks like a book
And nothing thinks like a drink"
- It Runs on Nonsensoleum: Runs on 100% nonsensoleum.
- Large Ham: Lots of characters, notably King Harkinian, I.M. Meen, SpongeBob, Luigi, Leonidas, Gwonam, Patrick, Vegeta, Mario, George the Volcano, Heavy, Squidward, Dr. Rabbit, CD-i Ganon, Mr. Krabs, Dr. Robotnik, and Morshu.
- Manipulative Editing: One of the premises of YouTube Poop. Example: SENT-ence MIX-ing with ROBOTNIK is SOOO FCK-ing EA-zy! Why are YOU PEE-ple SOOO im-PRESSED BYE it?
- Mondegreen: Often invoked to make characters sound as if they are saying something obscene. Robotnik's "Snoo-PINGAS usual, I see" is probably one of the most famous.
- The Movie: Many have been made. There's one for the Tails Doll; it's so long it needs 9 parts.
- Narm: The biggest source of entertainment in YouTube Poop.
- Overly Long Gag: "X does Y for Z minutes"
- Random Events Plot: If there is a plot at all.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Parodied with "Frustrated Sonic Insults the Kids".
- Refuge in Audacity: The medium as a whole is often known for manipulating footage to create high amounts of vulgar humor.
- Sensory Abuse: Quite a few, known as "ear rape" poops. If you see a comment that says "RIP headphone users", watch out.
- Servile Snarker: Gwonam and Gnorris are usually portrayed as such in YTPs, often insulting The King and IM Meen for just about everything they do.
- Soundtrack Dissonance: "X does Y while I play unfitting music"
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: YTPMV, where a source is remixed to the melody of a song (or less commonly, a new song made by the creator).
- Subverted Kids Show: While kids' shows aren't the only thing used in YTP, they are one of the main things in it, and the comedic effect of editing things to sound vulgar is a lot more noticeable when the source material itself is for children. This is taken Up to Eleven by YTPs of Edu Tainment shows like "Dr. Rabbit's World Tour."
- They Killed Kenny Again: Almost every regular Youtube Poop character has been killed at least once.
- Trademark Favourite Food: Or more accurately, memetic favourite food; various major YTP characters have foods they are associated with because of lines from source material.
Luigi: I hope she made lots of spaghetti!
- Trolling: Used to be used for it, but most are mainly just for entertainment now.
- Unreadably Fast Text: A favorite technique of a lot of Poopers, sneaking a hidden message that you need to pause at the right moment to read.
- Voice Clip Song: The more advanced YTPMV's are this, if they're not just Stupid Statement Dance Mixes.
- Word Salad Humor: "You can put cheese up my ass with the flick of a switch!"
- World of Chaos: What most, if not all, poops with any semblance of a plotline take place in. And really, just about every poop that doesn't too.
Tropes related to the genre itself:
- Serious Business: The higher echelons of the community treat the act of the Poop as something of a fine art, conducting interviews with notable Poopers to explore the psychology and meaning behind their Poops. It could be tongue-in-cheek on their part, especially considering what Poops are supposed to be like, but that seems unlikely. Even the haters take their hatred of YouTube Poops seriously.
- Sturgeon's Law: There sure are a lot of amateurs out there and most aren't very good at it. For every clever sentence mixing video, there are ten others using outdated memes and repeating a clip at varying speeds for seven seconds. The good poops, however, are worth dying for.