2 In The AM PM
is a student film by the creator of Regular Show
, J.G. Quintel, during his time at CalArts with voice acting by Quintel and Sam Marin. It involves two gas station employees (voiced by and greatly resembling Quintel and Marin) working at 2 in the morning on Halloween. Quintel offers Marin a piece pf candy, which unbeknownst to him contains acid, and the two proceed to hallucinate some pretty weird stuff. The short is notable for being the origin of the character designs of Mordecai and Benson. It can be viewed here
. Warning, NSFW
2 In The AM PM provides examples of the following tropes:
- Deranged Animation\What Do You Mean, It Wasn't Made on Drugs?: This short is extremely trippy, as would be expected of a short about two guys on acid.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Mordecai and Benson, characters from Quintel's Regular Show, appear as hallucinations caused by the acid candy
- Hey, Wait!: Happens when a cop visits the gas station while Quintel's and Sam Marin's characters are hallucinating on LSD
- Marijuana Is LSD: subverted; while Quintel initially believes the candy had marijuana in it, he remembers that it was acid.
- Mushroom Samba: Quintel and Marin manage to take on about a dozen hallucinated forms in the span of three minutes or so.
- Slipping a Mickey: The one attendant who is given the candy is unaware that it contained acid until he is told, even referring to it as a "milk-chocolate Mickey".
- Vacuum Mouth: The cop sucks down an entire bag of chips in about two seconds, although it may just be another hallucination of the gas station attendants