"Aw, come on, it's supposed to be fun!"2 in the AM PM is a student film by the creator of Regular Show, J.G. Quintel, during his time at CalArts with voice acting by himself and Sam Marin. It involves two clerks (voiced by and greatly resembling Quintel and Marin in real life) working on Halloween night at an AM/PMnote . Quintel offers Marin a piece of candy, which unbeknownst to him contains acid (after Quintel mistakenly tells him the candy is laced with marijuana), and the two proceed to hallucinate some pretty weird stuff.The short is notable for being the origin of the character designs of Mordecai and Benson from Regular Show. It can be viewed here. Note that it is Not Safe for Work and plays out like Regular Show if it was a true adult cartoon instead of a kids' show that has a glut of risque jokes in it.
2 In The AM PM provides examples of the following tropes:
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: When the second clerk becomes a gumball machine:Clerk #1 (Reaching to take out a gumball): Aw, cool...Clerk #2 (smacking his fellow employee's hand away): Fuck off!
- Early-Bird Cameo: Mordecai, Benson and Pops, characters from Quintel's Regular Show (and, in the case of Pops, from The Naive Man from Lolliland, another J.G. Quintel short film used as the inspiration for Regular Show), appear as hallucinations caused by the acid candy.
- Hey, Wait!: Happens when a cop visits the gas station while Quintel's and Sam Marin's characters are hallucinating on LSD.
- Marijuana Is LSD: Subverted; while Quintel initially believes the candy had marijuana in it, he remembers that it was acid.
- Mushroom Samba: Quintel and Marin manage to take on about a dozen hallucinated forms in the span of 3 minutes or so.
- Precision F-Strike: Plenty of times.
- Slipping a Mickey: The one attendant who is given the candy is unaware that it contained acid until he is told, even referring to it as a "milk-chocolate Mickey".
- Vacuum Mouth: The cop sucks down an entire bag of chips in about two seconds, although it may just be another hallucination of the gas station attendants.