Web Animation: Toho Kingdom Toons
A coherent toon herein shall there be not.
A series of humorous, TV Tropes-aware
web cartoons that were made by and shown on a Godzilla
and Toho Studios fansite called Toho Kingdom. They completely rework the personalities and nature of many
Toho creations, and also include original characters
and characters from other works
. Except for the characters, most of the shorts have no connection to one another nor overarching storyline.
The series numbers 240 toons since July 31, 2006. On September 1, 2014, the creator retired from Toho Kingdom, effectively cancelling the series. His Toho Kingdom Toons were removed from YouTube
, but are still viewable on Toho Kingdom. His other, non-Toho related series, Totally Kewl Toons
, which stars characters from other properties such as My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
, Dragon Ball Z
, Jurassic Park
, and others, is still seeing new episodes on a weekly basis on YouTube
Can be found here
This series contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Biollante is one hell of an action girl, being able to defeat Overpowered Katz. with relative ease.
- Action Mom: she's also Celebi's mother. originally, Celebi was her daughter from an alternate future, however a time paradox caused her to become pregnant with a SECOND Celebi, who they named Seribii.
- Affably Evil: Godzilla himself is shown to be well-cultured despite being a giant city-destroying monster.
- Likewise, Anguirus as well.
- Also, in one short, Spacegodzilla (One of Godzilla's most powerful and evil foes) is shown to be well-cultured and educated as well and even hosts his own political talk show.
- it would take all day to list all the examples, since the main characters are some of Godzilla's most powerful and evil foes.
- Animation Bump / Art Evolution: The characters in more recent cartoons are more detailed and look like their movie counterparts and are better animated than in earlier cartoons.
- This is especially evident with Gabara who started out looking like a hooded troll-thing that vaguely resembled his namesake to actually looking like, well, Gabara.
- Zilla, too, also got a very noticeable facelift; before he looked vaguely like Zilla, with triangular spines, but now he looks far more like his namesake.
- An Easter Egg in a recent toon lampshades this with Armor Mothra shifting between his look from the old toons and his look from the new ones.
Armor Mothra': Hi res! Lo res! Hi res! Lo res!
- Artistic License – Paleontology:
- The U.N. segments of the American release of King Kong vs. Godzilla are mercilessly mocked in Don't Eat Monkey Brains.
- Eric Carter: If I let him go on like this, he'll pull that "Oh, Godzilla's a cross between a t-rex and a stegosaurus" bit again. Let me ask you something: How can a t-rex and a stegosaurus mate? You know, how is that even possible?! That's like saying a hyena is a cross between cat and a dog! Or a wallaby is a cross between a Kangaroo and Martin Short!
- Ax-Crazy: Celebi, if it wasn't cleared enough.
- Accent Tropes: Godzilla has a very prominent and thick Bering Sea accent, due to his being schooled in the area. The Giant Sea Snake has a very prominent Texan accent, Zilla has a incredibly thick Canadian accent, the two Gigans both have Brittish accents, and there's many others.
- Big Bad: the Shobijin, and a recent toon reveals the one controlling them is Katz Kandy.
- The absolute Big Bad of this universe is Rhedosaurus, however, Katz is his minion.
- Butt Monkey: Godzilla himself temporarily undergoes this in "The Showa Toon", where he is repeatedly ran over by King Ghidorah. he gets his revenge though.
- Gabara can't catch a break either.
- Monster X suffers the same fate when watching his and Biollante's daughter, Celebi.
- The Cameo: Radio turns up briefly.
- Carnivore Confusion: Lampshaded when Matango, a mushroom monster, says that she's getting pizza and asks if anyone wants toppings, Gezora, a squid, says he wants mushrooms, Matango runs off sobbing.
- Cerebus Syndrome: what started out as an extremely episodic series of unrelated comedy shorts has evolved into a frighteningly complex and in-depth fictional universe, complete with full biographies of every single character, a glossary of flags and locations, and an absurdly comprehensive list of the respective power levels of every character, being, entity, and inanimate object that appears for even a second.
- The very moment the Rhedosaurus saga begins, the toons take a sudden nosedive into very grim teritory; genocide and war being part of Rhedosaurus' backstory, and both Godzilla and Kiryu seem incredibly uncomfortable retelling the tale.
- Chekhov's Gun: Frieza's Manda impression
- Chess Master: Katz and the Shobijin
- The Comically Serious: Monster X, though he's started picking up his own little quirks.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Deutalios and, to some extent, Gabara.
- And now Kiryu seems to be giving them both a run for their money.
- Gamera is also one.
- The Giant Condor's a pure one.
- Creepy Twins: The Shobijin.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Rhedosaurus doesn't even stand a chance against Cthulhu, even after he absorbed NOVA's power.
- Deadpan Snarker: Monster X can be this, especially in the earlier seasons
'''Gabara: You're no fun.
- Deadly Upgrade: Monster X can transform into Keizer Orochi if he sees 3 wolves and a moon.
- Enfant Terrible: Subverted with Celebi.
- Even Evil Has Standards: For an evil megalomanaic—- um, I mean gigalomaniac, Celebi loves her adopted parents, even when it means making a clone to take of them. She also becomes furious when Katz steals Radian X7's power to clone Rhedosaurus.
- Evil Is Hammy: Gabara acts this way whenever he feels like actually being evil.
- Which, in Gabara's case, isn't very often at all.
- Erudite Stoner: Anguirus certainly seems to talk like one.
- "Where the heck am I man....Is that a mammoth!?"
- Faux Affably Evil: Katz, Rhedosaurus and The Shobijin
- Fourth Wall Mail Slot
- Funny Background Event: in one toon, a wasp flying upwards while carrying a fruitcake can be seen.
- Genre Savvy: Celebi. Lampshaded by Celebi herself.
- Happily Adopted: Celebi, after confessing that she altered her adopted parents' memories. They adopted her after she asks
- Happily Married: Oddly enough Gorosaurus and Megaguirus in recent toons. Monster X and Biollante can count as well, and adopted Celebi as a result.
- And now it turns out Godzilla himself is married to Cthulhu.
- Kiryu uses the Trope Name to describe his marriage with his wife, who is ALSO a Cthulhu
- a really weird one: Showa Gigan and Millenium Gigan are two seperate beings in the toons, and are married to each other...and Millenium Gigan is female.
- Helium Speech: Varan and Deutalios.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Godzilla refers to this trope by name when describing Gabara and Monster X.
- Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy: Kiryu is shown to have terrible aim in the toon "Sexy Grandpa"
Kiryu: (Shooting beams in random directions) I'm out-classing you!
Godzilla: You're not even hitting me.
- Interspecies Romance: Naturally, given that almost all of the main cast are a different species, to name a few:
- Monster X: a space dragon. and, Biollante: a Godzilla/Plant/Human hybrid.
- Gorosaurus: a Dinosaur. and, Megaguirus: a Mutated Dragonfly.
- Gamera: a Giant Turtle and, Garasharp: a cobra.
- Godzilla: a mutated, fire-breathing Dinosaur. and, Cthulhu: a squid-dragon-humanoid like creature.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Monster X turns into Keizer Ghidorah whenever there's a full moon. this eventually became a Running Gag where whenever he saw a full moon, he'd transform into Keizer Ghidorah
- Large Ham: many characters, but of most note are Gabara and Monster X.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: good lord.
- Massively Multiplayer Crossover: Oh, where to begin?. Well, aside from the Godzilla Characters, there's Sanda and Gaira from War Of The Gargantuas, Gezora from SpaceAmoeba, Matango from, well, Matango, Maguma from Gorath, the Toho Version of King Kong, and that's not even getting to non-Toho Characters!. non-Toho includes the likes of a female Cthulhu, Ro-Man from Robot Monster, the titular creature from The Giant Claw, several characters from Gamera, Mew and Celebi from Pokémon, and THAT'S not even getting to non-Monsters!.
- Medium Awareness: half the characters have this, though ironically Gabara does not.
Monster X: you know, it's interesting he drew fan art of FAN ART.
Gabara: wait, what are you saying?
Monster X: don't tell him, folks. it will blow his mind.
- Motor Mouth: Deutalios.
- Mythology Gag
- Naked People Are Funny: Gabara randomly takes off his cloak at the end of one "Kaiju Kritics" review, and in the next toon he's still naked.
Monster X: Hello, welcome to the Kaiju Kritics!
Gabara: spelled with 2 Ks because i'm still naked. (cloak flies down from nowhere and lands on him.)
- Never Say "Die": Averted.
- No Indoor Voice: Armor Mothra. QUAKE AND TREMBLE!!!!
- Omnicidal Maniac: every villain has this in mind.
- One Name Only: Gabara's last name is gibberish that sounds something like "Gurder".
- Turns out it's Gabby Bare-Butt
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Kiryu. Anguirus doesn't fall for it for a second.
- "I'm, like, 73% certain that you're not the my greatest friend in the whole wide world, man. Dude, I can totally see one of your mechanical arms."
- Pirate: Common theme, so much so that Hedorah and Battra became pirates themselves.
- Refusal of the Call: Subverted. Gabara at first decides to help Monster X with the reviews of mob films after thinking the latter monster is making a mockery of....something. But, then he quickly decides that calzones are more important.
- Running Gag: "Spelled with two K's because it's funny!" recent toons seem to mix it up a bit by having something ridiculous like:
Gabara: spelled with 2 K's because we're both Kute and Kuddly!.
- Sea Monster: Parodied by Gezora
- Screw Politeness Im A Senior: Kiryu.
- Shout-Out: To name a few:
- Show Within a Show: Kaiju Kritics, Pundit Patrol, Triage and Frankenstein Conquers Our Hearts
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Gorosaurus and Megaguirus, whom of which apparently currently have had 172 honeymoons, and always give each other lovey-dovey nicknames whenever talking to each other. Thankfully, this seems to havre no effect on the rest of the main cast.
- Sky Pirates: the S.S, Bootylicious crew.
- Single-Stroke Battle: The "Samurai Duel" toon.
- The Smurfette Principle: Somewhat Subverted, in that by now, there is about 6 or 7 females in the series yet Double Subverted because, in stark contrast, the females still aren't that common anyway.
- The Stinger: Similar to ''Homestar Runner", there is usually one at the end that can be activated by clicking something.
- Straight Man: Monster X
- Straw Fan: Megalon for Star Wars fans.
- Strawman Political: Gabara for conservatives, Varan and Little Godzilla for young liberals.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: Kiryu, again. "I am the real Godzilla...and I'm NOT under no alien control neither!"
- Talking to Himself: Most of the voices are done by one guy, except the females, who aren't that common anyway.
- As of the new season premiere, however, they appear to have picked up a decent voice cast.
- The Asylum: Referenced in a fan mail on a Kaiju Kritics toon, revealing how cheap their studio is and becomes a Running Gag for a few episodes.
- Trademark Favorite Food: this is part of the description for each monster in the "Toon Bios" section.
- aside from that, Celebi Really likes peanut butter and sardine sandwiches, and Gabara seems to like calzones.
- Unexplained Accent: Subverted. Godzilla explains he got his accent due to spending some time at the Bering Sea.
- Unfortunate Names: Lampshaded.
Varan: This is the weirdest summer internship ever!
: No, what i mean is i thought we were interning at a gift card manufacturer. This looks strangely like an airborn pirate ship!
And it even has an extremely innapropriate name!
- Vague Age: Little Godzilla And Varan.
- Villainous Crossdresser: Nurse Destroyah. "Who wants to play Boggle?"
- Villain Song: Gabara sings one in "Odd Three Headed Beastie". the song is basically a modified version of "Poor Unfortunate Souls".
- Very Special Episode: Parodied when Gabara attempts to sell Varan and Little Godzilla a "prodigious potion", which is basically steroids with a different name. The parody part comes in a later toon, when the potion is revealed to be sugar water.
- Web Animation
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Monster X. He's even aware that the fangirls consider him a Woobie, but states that he isn't giving up without a "fighty wighty".
- You Mean Xmas: Lampshaded when Biollante promises "another sickening, secular, pseuso-Christmas Christmas special!"
[[supersecretspoiler:AH'M BACK! AFTER AN ELEVENTY-TOON HIATUS! WO-OO-OAHH!]]