Web Animation: The Real Legend
A flash series on Newgrounds.com
created by Granfaloon
.The Real Legend
hilariously parodies the adventures of Link in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
These are the following tropes:
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Subverted. Kaepora Gaebora appears during a shot of Death Mountain to brag that he can twist his head. Turns out, yes, he can, but not safely—he breaks his neck and dies.
- Ambiguously Gay: Link's Fairy-In-A-Bottle, Mel, as believed by Navi. The sole reason for this comes from his being pink.
- Also this:
Navi: (Taking with her an unconscious Link) Mmh...Thanks.
Goron2: Hey that's a nice piece of ass.
Goron1: Yeah, that fairy is hot.
- Art Evolution: The Scenery Porn in Part 3's opening sequence can tell you six years of evolution.
- Art Shift: Link's daydream of himself rescuing Saria is drawn in a more anime-like fashion. Saria still looks the same in the normal series art, though.
- Brick Joke: Near the end of the first episode Navi comments that Link would just piss himself upon reaching the graveyard. A flashback near the beginning of the second reveals that he did exactly that.
- Butt Monkey: Link. He's constantly getting whacked around by Navi, enemies, and Gorons. Especially Gorons.
- Burning with Anger: Navi, after Ruto give Link a Marshmallow Hell.
- Changing Clothes Is a Free Action: At the end of part 3, Links changes to his blue clothes out of screen.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Link, particularly displayed in Part 4 during his fight with Dark Link. Even Navi can't help but comment on how badass he was.
- Cultural Cross-Reference: In Part 3. Hard to understand unless you speak Spanish, and have seen this video
Randomly Caged Goron #3: [after Link exits the scene] Me amarraron como puerco!!!
- Daydream Surprise: In Part 1. "Back to reality".note
- Deadpan Snarker: Navi.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Link not getting Saria or Princess Ruto... in a typical Butt Monkey fashion.
- Dogged Nice Guy/Unrequited Love: Link for Saria.
- Dumb Blonde: Link.
- Eats Babies: The Zora King admits spending his days watching House while eating the eggs of a chained female Zora.
- Exposition Fairy/Fairy Companion
- Fanservice: Adult Ruto in Part 4.
- Not to mention Navi. Dear Lord, she is stacked.
- Held Gaze: Link and Sheik share one between each other. It would be Ho Yay if it wasn't for the obvious hints that Sheik IS Zelda.
- Imagine Spot: Link has one in Part 2 while imagining himself rescuing Saria.
- Kid Hero: And Link still looks like one even after the Time Skip.
- Lampshade Hanging: Navi has the tendency to do this.
Navi: [when Link raises up his new item] You have to do that every time?
Navi: [when Link puts away his Iron Boots in his bag] Wait, how... Where are you keeping all that stuff?
- Little Miss Badass: Navi, shown to be just as effective as Link at times — if not more.
- The Load: Navi sure thinks of Link as this sometimes.
- Marshmallow Hell: Link gets one of this by Ruto; not that he cares
- The Mentor: Sheik tries to be this.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Link himself. In a series where everyone is drawn reminiscent of their canon appearances, he and Dark Link are Super-Deformed with giant round heads and stick limbs.
- Noodle Incident:
- The "last time" Link helped the Gorons.
- Though we didn't learn about it, the last time Link helped them, he ended with a "Thanks bro" punch.
- Navi hints one in Part 4. "Are we high... again?"
- Pet the Dog: Navi complimenting Link after he defeats Volvagia in Part 3.
- Real Men Wear Pink: A pink fairy hits on Navi and thinks Navi's rejection is because he's pink. He flies off crying.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Part 4. Link traverses the infamous Water Temple, has an epic battle with Dark Link, has to face Morpha without healing after said battle with Dark Link, and he ends up getting nothing to show for it. In regards to Ocarina of Time, it's sad but true.
Navi: Well, that sucked.
- She Knows Too Much: Shigeru Miyamoto sure thinks Navi does when she questions just where the hell Link stores his stuff, and authorizes Link to dispose of her at any given time.
- Shout-Out: The Matrix and Kill Bill. The Supermarket theme is from The Sims Buy Mode. Then there's the Metal Gear Solid reference in Part 4.
- Shy Finger Twiddling: Sheik does this when he unsuccessfully tries to convince Navi that he's not Princess Zelda. Or a girl.
- Sour Supporter: Navi to Link.
- Took a Level in Badass: Link in Part 4 when he fights Dark Link, and defeats him the standard way—using Din's Fire.
- Tsundere: Navi is a kind of one for Link. She'll give Link a bit of a hard time, but she'll compliment him when he does good.
- Unwanted Harem: Navi. Random fairies hit on her and the Gorons know she's hot.