Web Animation / Minecraft The Noob Adventures
Minecraft: The N00b Adventures
is a Web Animation
series set in the popular Minecraft
video game. It's hosted on YouTube
via Machinima, as well as Newgrounds.
The story revolves around three newbie Minecraft players who join a server one day, only to find it oppressed by the tyrannical Gaylord_Steambath. They resolve to fight him and his griefing ways, but must first meet powerful allies, learn what happened to the server, and, you know, learn the ropes of the game.
The series can be found here
Tropes present in these videos include:
- Ambiguously Gay: Fittingly, Gaylord_Steambath.
- Art Shift: During Gaylord and Noobly's battle in part 28, the video abruptly switches to footage of two Minecraft players with skins based on the characters slapping each other around.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Uglina the Witch saves the heroes from the Wither because, unlike Milky_Dad, they were nice to her and gave her a name.
- Bookends: Near the end of the last episode, Noobly says that the newly-repaired server is "so blocky, so cool", which was the title of the first episode.
- Brick Joke: After Gaylord_Steambath gets banned, Lord_Server says the only thing left to do is to add some sweet plugins. At the end of the episode, the server gets abruptly shut off, presumably to do just that.
- Dirty Coward: Gaylord will quickly teleport himself or his enemies away whenever he's on the losing end.
- The Dragon: Milky_Dad, later in the series.
- Face–Heel Turn: In exchange for his survival, Milky_Dad makes a deal with Gaylord_Steambath and becomes his right-hand man.
- Fantastic Racism: Milky_Dad really hates NPCs.
- For the Evulz/It Amused Me: Everything Gaylord_Steambath does. Played with near the end; he claims it's the former, but his actions as a griefer suggest the latter.
- Freudian Excuse: Gaylord_Steambath claims to come from a broken family, and to have been bullied in school. He quickly reveals he's lying, and attacks Noobly while he's distracted..
- Freudian Trio:
- Giving the Sword to a Noob: Only three noobs can defeat evil!
- The best equipment among the group is also given to Noobly, the noobiest of the three. Fart gets second priority of high grade equipment as well.
- G-Rated Drug: Milky_Dad's merchandise, which includes unspecified potions, mushrooms, and glowdust, none of which have intoxicating effects in the actual game. He "goes straight" after Gaylord_Steambath is banned, opening a pharmaceutical stand.
- Griefer: Gaylord_Steambath. Hackers like "Xx_Dark_PvP_Hacker_xX" count as well.
- Hero Killer: Milky_Dad drops Fart in a dark pit to prove his new loyalty to Gaylord. Luckily, Fart survives.
- Hidden Depths: Fart, who knows a lot about French philosopher Descartes. He goes off for about 15 seconds, only to be cut off by Snake.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: In episode 28, Gaylord fills the room with TNT to blow up the protagonists. They log out of the game, but he's too busy monologing to notice that he's still in survival mode. The resulting explosion sends him flying into lava, killing him. Downplayed, since he's an admin, and doesn't need to be careful because he can just respawn.
- I Call It "Vera": Milky_Dad's iron sword, Irene. Doubles as a Companion Cube.
- It Is Pronounced Tro PAY: Concerning a certain ghost of the creator's brother, it's either "He-ro-bro-nay" (Snake), "Hero-briny" (Fart), or "Hero-brine" (NPC Villager)
- Knight of Cerebus: Xx_Dark_PvP_Hacker_xX
- Man of a Thousand Voices: Jeff Schwertfeger, who voices Fart Garfunkel, Gaylord Steambath, and Milky_Dad, none of whom sound anything like each other.
- Meaningful Name: Yoda_Morpheus and possibly Gaylord_Steambath.
- The dark clad player fighting hacker that Gaylord recruits is, fittingly named, Xx_Dark_PvP_Hacker_xX
- The Mentor: Yoda_Morpheus.
- Younger Than They Look: Played with. Despite being an Obi-Wan expy, with Yoda's name, it's pretty easy to tell he's a kid in real life. At the end of his debut episode, he has to leave, because he got grounded for playing Minecraft for too long.
- Metaphorgotten: Gaylord makes up his own idioms occasionally when not making quote references.
- My Life Flashed Before My Eyes: After his own TNT trap goes off on him, Gaylord flashes back to all the chaos he caused after becoming an OP as he falls into lava.
- Obviously Evil: Xx_Dark_PvP_Hacker_xX. Outside of his name, his skin gives him dark goggles covering his face and an all-black suit.
- Quip to Black: Fart Garfunkel is very fond of this, even possessing a pair of sunglasses for just such an occasion.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Fart makes it his goal to personally ram Irene up Milky_Dad's "blocky asshole".
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Used in part 20 when Snake has a unfortunate encounter with Herobrine.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money!: According to Lord Server, when Gaylord_Steambath volunteered to run the server in Server's absence, he was given the job largely because he had made a ridiculously large donation. He still gets banned when Server returns and discovers what he'd been doing, though.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: Near the beginning of Episode 28, Gaylord_Steambath makes a short speech about how his existence gives the noobs purpose, and without him, they'd just be hiding in a little dirt shack, eating wheat and cooking cobblestone. Noobly isn't having it.
Noobly: Dude. You're just a dick.
- Done later in the same episode, after Lord Server returns.
Gaylord: Fine! You win this battle! But heed my words, and heed them well, inferiors! You may think removing my powers will save you from grief, but there are hundreds, thousands more just like me! Enjoy your moment of serendipity, for I, Gaylord_Steambath, Eater of Worlds, shall-
Lord_Server: Uhuh, yeah, that's nice, bye!
Gaylord_Steambath has been banned.
- Sissy Villain: Check out those short shorts on Gaylord Steambath!
- Sixth Ranger: Milky_Dad.
- Sixth Ranger Traitor: The above becomes Gaylord_Steambath's Dragon.
- Smurfette Principle: So far there has been only one girl in the entire series.
- Team Pet: Descartes the pig.
- The Mole: Gaylord_Steambath's backstory involves him becoming an admin by pretending to be a Nice Guy. Truth in Television on Minecraft servers.
- Unfortunate Names: Pretty much everyone has these. Pooploser_69 got his name because he was tricked into thinking it was a cheat code for infinite diamonds. Truth in Television, as a lot of players in the actual game can have some pretty weird names.
- Villains Act, Heroes React: Near the beginning of episode 28, Gaylord makes a brief speech about this, claiming that without him to fight, the noobs would just be common players, living in a dirt shack, growing wheat and cooking cobblestone.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The epilogue shows the server back up and running, with Noobly, Snake, and Fart overseeing the repairs to all the griefed structures. It also shows that Gaylord_Steambath decided to go and harass a Counter Strike server after getting banned.