Web Animation / Mario's Castle Calamity
Mario’s Castle Calamity
is a series of Flash animations starring Mario
and his attempts to destroy the castle from Super Mario World
In addition to Jeremy Simms’ original and its sequel
, there are many
successors to it, some better than others
. A few stick out, though.
This Web animation contains examples of:
- Accidental Murder: The usual victims are Toad, Luigi or Peach.
- Anti-Climax: If anything actually destroys the castle in any given video, it's usually something ridiculously minor.
- Batter Up: The Baseball Boy at the end of the original.
- Bloody Hilarious
- Brick Joke: Comes up frequently during the attempts to destroy the castle. For example, Mario once launched a Banzai Bill at it, which promptly turned around and continued to chase him throughout the rest of the episode.
- Butt-Monkey: EVERYONE, especially the one who's trying to destroy the castle.
- Iron Butt Monkey: EVERYONE x2, especially the one who's trying to destroy the castle.
- The Cameo: Sonic, Kirby, Metroids, Pikachu, Mega Man, the Portal Gun and Tetris Blocks have all shown up.
- Cooldown Hug: Luigi gives one to Mario at one point in Calamity 2.6.
- Extreme Omnivore: Luigi in the Castle Collab.
- Fastball Special: Among the many things Mario has hurled at the castle are Luigi, Toad and even Peach.
- Groin Attack: No more budding!
- Here We Go Again: Mario finally manages to destroy the castle at the end of Calamity 2.6. During the celebration, Bowser kidnaps Peach, and...takes her to Castle #2. And outside of Castle #2 is a sign pointing the way to Castle #3...
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Quite a lot.
- Whenever Mario tries to order something to tear down the castle, it invariably turns on him.
- When he tried shooting it with a missile launcher, it bounced back. He tries it three times.
- He tried launching a Poison Mushroom at it. It turned around when it hit the castle.
- Anything projectile tends to bounce back at him, really. Except in the Collab 2 finale.
- Losing Your Head: Mario's head just falls off when Luigi starts streaking.
- Megaton Punch: Luigi once gets punched into the castle this way.
- Naked People Are Funny: A running gag in the official two.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: The titular castle. Everything that's thrown at it either bounces back to the thrower, misses, gets sidetracked or doesn't do anything once it connects. It WAS destroyed in the second Castle Collab.... but then it gets revived by a 1-up mushroom. Mario understandably bluescreens. Interestingly, the castle does get... removed at the end of the second Castle Calamity permanently, but Mario still bluescreens from how Luigi solves the problem.
- Nightmare Face: The castle suddenly gets one in Castle Collab 2. Mario freaks.
- Sadist Show
- Slapstick Knows No Gender: Even Peach isn't safe from the brothers' attempts to destroy the castle at all costs.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Whenever Bob-ombs or Bullet Bills are involved.
- Take That, Scrappy!: Nobody’s ever upset if Toad dies. Generally, everyone starts laughing.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: The finale of the second Castle Collab.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Everybody’s died at least twice. Even the castle gets destroyed, though it gets restored at the end of both of the Castle Collabs.
- This Is Gonna Suck: At one point in GMOD Castle Calamity, Luigi accidentally sneezes and blows out the fuse that was about to destroy the castle. Mario, naturally, is about to blow his top and all Luigi can do is to turn the camera looking like he knows exactly what's about to happen and mutters a worried "Bye-bye."