are weird, adorable creatures that are part bean and part dog. They star in a series of short videos, in which they appear to people in their food to give a random fact. All the shorts can be found here
Trops associated with Mameshiba:
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Lentil does this with its ears
- All There in the Manual: The website is probably the only place you can find out about the personality of different Mameshiba: http://dogatch.jp/mameshibaworld/characters.html
- Ambiguous Gender: It's impossible to tell what gender any of the Mameshiba are, since the only features they seem to have on their bodies are faces and ears, and they all speak with an androgynous, childish voice.
- Anthropomorphic Food
- Color Failure: Frequently happens to people who encounter them in the commercials.
- Eagleland: One short was in America with the characters speaking in English. It seemed like a rather positive, if not stereotypical, interpretation.
- Everything's Better with Plushies: You can get plushies of each of the beans.
- From The Latin Intro Ducere: In the first video, Green Pea, the trivia is that the French word for dandelion, "pissenlit", means "urinate in bed".
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: They are dogs... and also beans.
- Once an Episode: Each short has someone about to eat, when a Mameshiba suddenly starts talking to them and gives them an interesting fact. The person then decides they are no longer hungry.
- Puppy-Dog Eyes
- Put Off Their Food: In most of the episodes on the website, when a certain bean appears on the screen and tells the person who is about to eat it some random fact, they immediately stop eating their food or say "I'm done now."
- Quivering Eyes: They appear to do this, probably to look cuter.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Look at those faces!
- Troll: They may or may not be aware of it, but the Mameshiba sometimes come off as this.