Web Animation / Kings of Power: 4 Billion%
"Kings of Power: 4 Billion%" is a web animation created by Paul Robertson
with music done by Cornel Wilczek, released in 2008 as his second short film, after "Pirate Baby Cabana Battle 2006". It is a short, 15 minute film done in 2D 16-bit graphics, all hand designed, and is a marvelous piece of work, without any dialogue and very little plot.It's also batshit-insane
Basically, it seems that the author was trying to see how much he combine of the following: Rule of Cool
, Refuge in Audacity
, pixel art and as many videogame references and conventions
he could get away with.
It can be seen in multiple places on the web, but here
(NSFW) is an upload by the animator himself.Needs Wiki Magic Love
Tropes present in this animation:
- Alien Invasion: This is one way to interpret the beginning of the plot, except the aliens look like boys for some reason. At first.
- All There in the Manual: Apparently, the little girl's name is Kathy, or perhaps Guro Kathy.
- Big Bad: The little girl, of all people. Maybe.
- BFS: The geeky girl carries one.
- Blob Monster: One of the many enemies faced in the animation. The geeky girl deals with several of them near the beginning.
- Bloody Murder: The little girl's attacks all involve self-mutilation and propulsion of the resulting blood and/or organs.
- Body Horror: Done multiple times, all meticulously and caringly animated, to point one might suspect the author has something of fetish.
- Boss Rush: Much of the movie consists of this, albeit only with only one confrontation per boss.
- The Cameo: Several characters and people cameo during the formation of the "New Jesus."
- Credits Gag: The creators are credited under titles like "King of Animation" and "King of Music".
- Downer Ending: It seems that way. Maybe.
- Dual Boss: The Violence Kings.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: The vehicles explode when shot at, or when they crash.
- The cyan/magenta/yellow trio briefly undress for a "special portrait" move against a giant robot, and are naked for a split-second during their attack before the "GOD RUSH."
- The goddess Venus appears during the "GOD RUSH" mimicking her depiction "the Birth of Venus," except with her giant breasts completely visible.
- Final Boss, New Dimension: Horribly, and awesomely, played straight with big dose of Gorn.
- Fighting Your Friend: Again, the little girl. Maybe.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: A number of things can only be spotted for a split-second in the animation, such as a number of the cameos.
- Genre Shift: At the very least, from a sidescroller brawler to a Shoot 'em Up and back a couple of times. Kinda.
- Gorn: Most of the movie has plenty of this throughout, but wait until you see the final 2 minutes or so.
- Gratuitous English: "Bury me deeper lest my love reach you in the eternal resting place." This appears as a subtitle on the screen for seemingly no purpose.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: Depending on how you interpret things, again.
- The Man Behind the Man: The Violence Kings aren't really the final boss. Maybe.
- Mirror Boss: The elegant dressed guy goes through one.
- Mind Screw: Just what the hell is going in this movie? No, really, any ideas, anyone?
- Primary-Color Champion: Three of the heroes appear to be superheroines that are near-identical except for their hair and bloomers being cyan, yellow, and magenta.
- Rule of Cool: You can strongly suspect the movie is made with the purpose of achieving as much of this as possible.
- Shapeshifter Swan Song: The Violence Kings go backwards through their transformation process after being killed.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Violence Kings create one during the final battle, killing the heroes in one shot. At least until the little girl revives them, that is.