The face behind the madness..
Cyriak Harris, or simply "cyriak", is an animator from the U.K. who makes videos which are both incredibly beautiful and bizarre.
He and his works have been featured in various other media, such as [adult swim]
and the BBC Southeast Today
channel—which he primarily produces his stuff from—can be found here
. His regular music profile can be found here
Tropes to apply to Cyriak, himself:
Tropes to apply to Cyriak's works:
- Acid Trip Dimension: "Welcome to Kitty City," featuring larvae cats, giant mash-up cats, mechanical cat-tanks, cat-trains, all of which are ever-mutating.
- Alien Geometries: In "cyriak's animation mix" a cow is walking on two parallel planes at once, front legs on lower one and hind on upper one, while said planes are moving in the opposite to each other directions.
- Aliens Steal Cattle: In MOO! It goes horribly wrong.
- Anthropomorphic Food: "Festive Greetings from Cyriak" features a parsnip that looks like an obese woman's hips and legs. Worse, it's pumping out parsnip larvae!!!
- Body Horror: Some clips milk it for all its worth.
- Book Ends: "cyriak's animation mix" begins and ends with the same, short, looped-animation sequence.
- Britain: British figures often show up in his animations, such as HM The Queen and Patrick Stewart.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Cyriak often has this expression in the videos where he appears.
- Cute Is Evil: "Meow Mix" features cats meowing menacingly in Hell.
- "MEOW" is a gory, ultra-violent video about zombie cats taking over a city.
- Deranged Animation
- Early-Installment Weirdness: Inverted. His earliest videos, like "One Million Years BC" and "star wars out-take" are far more normal.
- Eldritch Abomination: Everything.
- Eldritch Location: Everywhere.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: His latest video, Chimpnology is filled with monkeys.
- Everything's Better With Cows: And cows. And cows.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: The creatures in "Something," which look like 1950s people with excess eyes and mouths.
- Flat "What.": Common reaction when viewing his videos. Then usually escalates to a Big "WHAT?!" around the middle point.
- Frivolous Lawsuit: "Because" ran into legal issues on YouTube for a time to see if Cyriak had the rights to use a photo in the video. The photo in question? A picture of his own face.
- Genre Savvy: The bartender in "DeadEnders". The minute he notices that a Zombie Apocalypse is ocurring he sounds the alarm without hesitation. It's not enough to save him, but at least he actually does something about it.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: "Moo!"
- Gorn: "The Spirit of Christmas" and "MEOW".
- Killer Robot: Chimpnology features a giant typewriter monkey robot, which eventually goes berserk and starts eating monkeys.
- Lighter and Softer: "Yellow Bridges", which is still surreal but more peaceful.
- "My Territory" is rather odd too, but doesn't have as much creepy stuff to it.
- Cyriak also did animation for Eskmo's 'We Got More' and Bonobo's 'Cirrus'. Both are still surreal, but aren't as creepy compared to his own works.
- Mood Whiplash: Here, in honor of HM The Queen, Cyriak ages her picture from her young self to her old self to her dead self.
- Only Sane Man: See Genre Savvy.
- Reality Warper: The little boy in "Boogie Maths" warps reality with his dancing, causing his body to distort and demonic clones of himself to emerge out of his mouth. Eventually, everyone melts.
- Recurring Element:
- Cats, kittens. All of the sort.
- Cows. And cows and cows.
- The Queen, as an Eldritch Abomination. Patrick Stewart, as well, often many of him.
- Spiders, and different creatures looking like spiders.
- She's Got Legs: All over the place in "My Territory", but not in the way you'd expect.
- Signature Style: Heavy morphing, weird loops, generous amounts of Body Horror, and just plain all around weirdness.
- Spiders Are Scary: "Cobwebs."
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: "You've got a poo in your pants, pants, pants ... "
- Surreal Horror/ Surreal Humor
- Those Two Guys: In "My territory", there are two "blokes" that appear several times that are the artists behind the music: Grand Popo Football Club.
- Too Many Mouths: The creatures in "Something" have excess eyes and mouths.
- When Nettles Attack
- The World Is Just Awesome: Yellow Bridges.