Web Animation / Baby Cakes
is a series of several short films created by Brad Neely
. Each short is in the form of a diary entry from Mark Cakes, known by the nickname Babycakes. Babycakes enjoys writing freestyle music, searching for love, and attempting to prove that his father and the other professors
- Diary #1: Babycakes begins his diary by describing an average day.
- Diary #2: Babycakes visits his dad's dad. Hilarity Ensues.
- Diary #3: Babycakes goes to the park to become one with nature.
- Diary #4: Babycakes divulges his forbidden desire.
- Diary #5: Babycakes uses his "me time" to be other people.
- Diary #6: Babycakes reflects on memories and remembering things.
- Doors: Babycakes has a brief entry on two surprises.
- Group Therapy: Babycakes breaks out some fresh rhymes about his day.
- Coffee Line: Babycakes discusses wizardry and spells with a patient barista.
- Lies: Babycakes explains the lies he has been fed by the world.
- The Role Play Tournament (Be Aggressive): Babycakes sings about his time at the Role Play Tournament.
- Babycakes Sees A Play: Babycakes attends a play "called Shakespeare."
Not to be confused with the My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic episode
The Shorts include the following tropes:
- Amazing Technicolor Population: A few of the background characters.
- Art Evolution
- Ascended Extra: Baby Cakes' dad. He doesn't do much in the shorts, but is much more developed in China, IL.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: "I started reading this Bible. It sucks."
- The Blue Beard: Baby Cakes's grandfather calls his father this, which raises some questions about the Missing Mom.
- By the Lights of Their Eyes
- Captain Obvious
"Those guys that keep following us were following us."
- Cloudcuckoolander: Babycakes.
- Eagleland: "My country is wonderful! I don't have to think about anything!"
- Exact Words: Babycakes isn't a virgin because "he can't give birth to a Jesus."
- Eye Beams: Used in a few videos.
- Funny Background Event: Often the words or people in the background include blink-and-you'll-miss-it jokes.
- Baby Cakes' dog is in every video at least once.
- Gilligan Cut: "They had the times of their lives." Chimmy and Nethario sitting.
- Good Smoking, Evil Smoking: Babycakes' dad's dad.
- Got the Whole World in My Hand: Babycakes repeatedly sits on the world.
- Great Gazoo: The Brain Fuckler.
- Grumpy Old Man: Dad's Dad
- Inherently Funny Words: Chimmy Chummy and Kenny Winker.
- It's All Junk: Played beautifully and hilariously in Diary #2. Dad's Dad and Dad begin singing together, Baby Cakes joining in, as they Trash the Set, burning down the Cakes estate in a drunken, heartwarming haze. Called out in the episode's Couch Gag:
"Burn your house! It's okay to go crazy!"
- Kick the Dog: "Oh shit! Malcolm!"
- Let the Past Burn: In Diary #2, the gloomy home of Dad and Dad's Dad is burned down in the midst of a drunken musical number, allowing Dad's Dad to move on.
Baby Cakes: Burn your house! It's okay to go crazy!
- Living Forever Is Awesome
- Man-Child: A "Playboy Man-Baby" in fact.
- Missing Mom
- Mythical Motifs: Dragons show up, as well as Unicorns and Polycorns (multiple horns).
- No Eye in Magic: "Eye Contact" is one of the wizardly spells.
- Precision F-Strike: Along with Cluster F-Bomb at times, each video has at least one.
- Robe and Wizard Hat
- Rule of Funny
- Rule of Three
"Sometimes I go down to the lake and sing songs to the lake about the lake."
- Running Gag: Babycakes' "freestyle." Maybe the Brain Fuckler.
- The Runt at the End: Visually, the characters introduced by Babycakes in Diary #1, which are seven attractive women and a witch.
- Solid Gold Poop: Literally.
- SpaceX: The Moon Babies.
- Spiritual Successor: China, IL.
- Stalker with a Test Tube
- Talking Down the Suicidal: One of the "important things" Baby Cakes sees on his walk to the park is a "Wisdom of Socrates" machine where every card says DON'T KILL YOURSELF.
- Time Capsule
- Theme Song: Though the lyrics change.
- Token Minority: Nethario
- Waxing Lyrical: In Diary #3:
Baby Cakes: If you try sometimes, you just might find you get what you want.
- Word Salad Lyrics
"Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yeyeyes yeyeyes yeyeyes yeyeyes yeyeyes!"