Web Animation: Angry Dad
"That's opinion, NOT NEWS!"Angry Dad is a series of Internet cartoons based on the amateur comic of Springfield independent comic book artist Bart Simpson debuting in the early 2000s. It became a landmark Internet sensation, at one point in 2002 becoming the Internet's number-one non-pornographic website (according to hearsay). Simpson's own father, Homer, provided the inspiration for the series, and the comic book became a hit among his fellow students. From there, Angry Dad was developed into an Internet cartoon series (known as "Barttoons") that brought the character to life. Although its production site fell victim to the collapse of the dot-com bubble, the Angry Dad shorts remained a popular hit.These cartoons highlight Angry Dad's daily life. In one particularly notable feature, he becomes infuriated with the local newspaper insulting him, resulting in his eyes exploding. Another portrays his workplace at a simulation of the Springfield Nuclear Power Plant wherein Angry Dad unwittingly detonates the cooling towers. Even at the dinner table, Angry Dad finds that trying to get ketchup out of a glass bottle results in disaster.The character briefly saw a resurgence in 2011 when Simpson produced an Academy Award-winning short film based on the Angry Dad cartoons.
— Angry Dad, after reading the newspaper's insulting headline about him
- 0% Approval Rating: Implied by the headline "YOU SUCK, ANGRY DAD"
- Attack of the 50-Foot Whatever: In the Angry Dad short film, he grows to immense size after being told there's no free refills at a fast food joint. He then proceeds to rampage, and then punch a hole in Hoover Dam and drink the water behind it.
- Berserk Button: Just about everything seems to set Angry Dad off.
- Big Red Button: Which apparently causes the Power Plant's cooling towers to explode.
- Blown Across the Room: By a spraying bottle of ketchup, no less.
- Bullying a Dragon: The Ay Carumba Entertainment Vanity Plate shows Bart Simpson vandalizing a growling Angry Dad's behind with spray paint.
- Butt Monkey: Angry Dad
- Composite Character: Angry Dad himself; a spoof within his universe. Bart Simpson cites him as a composite of his own father and of his sisters' father.
- Crapsack World: The cartoons hint at this.
- Creator Cameo: Bart Simpson himself provides the voice of Mr. Burns in the power plant segment.
- Everything Makes a Mushroom: The cooling towers and Angry Dad's head in the work short.
- Eye Scream: When he sees the newspaper proclaiming he sucks, Angry Dad's head inflates in anger. His eyes then pop.
- In a later short, Angry Dad walks along the sidewalk at night and gets stabbed in the eye by the crescent-shaped moon.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: After Angry Dad punctures Hoover Dam and drinks from its water, he utters "Dam, that's good!"
- Jerkass: Angry Dad appears to be.
- Jerkass Has a Point: One does have to recognize the difference between opinions and news.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: The title character is only known as "Angry Dad", if he even has a name.
- Perpetual Frowner: Angry Dad
- Protagonist Title
- Silence Is Golden: Not counting Angry Dad's roar, the ketchup and night-walking shorts are free of any dialogue.
- Stylistic Suck: The animation matches Simpson's drawings, which are about as good as the average ten-year-old boy's. Nevertheless, it contributes to the humor of the series.
- Tempting Fate:Angry Dad: Oh, what a day! Maybe the headlines will cheer me up!
- Too Dumb to Live: Angry Dad shows signs of this.
- Worst News Judgment Ever: Would a newspaper really devote its headline to insulting one normal (albeit angry) dad?
- Your Head A Splode: Angry Dad's response to being fired by Mr. Burns after blowing up the Power Plant.