The "fifth element" is actually Spiral Power.
The power of life, driven by love... able to overcome anything...
Leelo defeats the big bad evil incarnate with a carebear stare, complete with countdown
This isn't the first time Mr. Shadow got defeated this way
At the end of the climax, we are left with a shot of Mr. Shadow's dead body floating above the Earth, with the Moon also visible. Maybe the origin of the Moon is just another of Mr. Shadow's attacks? Or even another baddie like him?
- Well it's supposed to happen every five thousand years.
- The moon we all know just represents the only other time that we let Mr. Shadow get that close to destroying us. One would assume that evil that works on such a manageable time frame (every five millennia) would be relatively easy to repel. The other moons created by stopping Mr. Shadow were stopped too far out to reach orbit!
- Indeed, all the materials were kept on Earth until fairly recently, and then the only reason there was such a time issue is because they ran into trouble on the way in.
That plastic...thingy on Zorg's head is a cybernetic implant
He's rich and I want to believe there has to be a reason for anyone to have that on their head.
- No, that's just hair. Stupid, stupid hair.
- No, the stupid, stupid hair is on the left side of Zorg's head. The plastic thing is on the right side. As to what it is... a dumb fashion statement. His henchmen wear similar purple-tinted ones.
The Mondos wear protective suits, even when piloting their ships. Their actual form is completely inhuman, probably something unfit to any environment but their own homeworld. Maybe they really look like huge jellyfish or octopi. Their exosuits are actually the closest they can get to looking humanoid.
The Diva is actually not of an alien race, but is a genetically-engineered marketing gimmick for Listerine.
I mean, come on. Her blood looks just like the stuff.
- Looked more like grape koolaid to me, very dark blue.
This film takes place in the Stargate
Seriously. The Egyptian stuff. The ships look like they could be using the same tech as the Promethius. The clothes of the soldiers does kind of look like that clothing worn by Quinn's folks.
The Mangalores were created to be warriors to fight on Earth.
This is why they are exceptionally good at disguising themselves as humans. They were meant to be able to infiltrate human armies and groups. However, they Turned Against Their Masters
. This is why the airport on Earth has a machine that can detect them.
- And Ruby is one of them! Remember when he's making out with the stewardess, he says he's never "felt this way" about a human before. He's a Mangalore in disguise who turned out to be a Minion with an F in Evil, after being ostracized for his high-pitched voice, because the Mangalores believe Evil Sounds Deep. So he used his high voice to start a successful singing and DJ career.
- Explains why he's so much more terrified of them than anybody else. As a traitor to his race, they'd do a lot worse to him than the other civillians.
The black slime that comes out of General Staedert and Zorg is their inner evil liquefied.
It is the "badness" in them being made physical and drawn forth from their bodies towards the source of all the universe's evil - the Dark Planet. This also explains why Zorg had more of it than Staedert: we've all done something bad in our lives, and Staedert, a career military general of high rank, likely did some morally questionable things in his time (an idea supported by how readily he seemed to want to "shoot first" when the Dark Planet manifests - evil begets evil, as Cornelius says), but still doesn't leak as much "evil" as Zorg does despite being right in the Dark Planet's presence.
- Alternately, General Staedert may have been under the Dark Planet's employ, similar to Zorg, and the black slime was indicative of the Dark Planet working his direct mojo on them. Hence the General's Too Dumb to Live moment. He literally didn't have a choice in the matter.
Father Cornelius was asleep at the switch.
He either had been ignoring the signs of the evil arising again or simply didn't believe it. That's why the government is informed when it's almost too late.
This film takes place in the Futurama
Wacky aliens? Check. Casual Interstellar Travel? Check. New York being built over Old New York? In-process check.
Dallas has not had to deal with a long line of would-be armed robbers at his door
The huge pile of guns are all from the same guy, who tries (and fails) to rob Dallas on a daily basis. He's just too strung out and stupid, and Dallas is too awesome and badass, for it to ever work.
The reason Korben is so lonely is that in the future, all women go for extremely feminine/metrosexual guys like Ruby Rhod and Baby Ray, while manly men like Bruce Willis are seen as unattractive.
Leeloo, being from thousands of years in the past, is immune to this and thus falls for him.