The books are actually a stealth warning to not act like the Pretty Committee.
One of the things on the Fridge page under Fridge Horror
is that these girls are going to be seriously fucked up when they're adults. If any tween girls who read these books figure that out (and I'm sure some
of them must have. Tweens are smarter than you think), well, why would they want
to act like them? I pray to God that this is true, because if it's not, I really fucking hate these things.
- Word of God says she wants the books "to teach readers how to treat and respect themselves and each other in an entertaining way."
It has to be. It HAS to
The real Dylan is genuinely overweight, and real Alicia is flat-chested and Hollywood Homely
. Not sure about real Kristen, though.
- Or this is all a wish fulfillment fic by a girl with emotional/psychological problems who wishes she was popular and rich.
- Or actual wish-fulfillment by the actual author herself! (hey, you can't prove me wrong!)
Massie is a sociopath.
Does horrible things with no motivation? Check. Cold nature? Check. Controlling nature? Check. Lack of guilt? Big
- Plausible, but Massie has been shown crushing on boys. Most sociopaths feel no attraction to anybody.
- According to my source, some sociopaths are overly promiscuous. But you have a good point. More sociopathic traits Massie has: views people as objects and not people, early behavior problems in childhood, lack of a realistic life plan, overly self-centered.
A sequel book will come out taking place after high school
It will be dark and disturbing, but oh so satisfying
- There is a book called Bass Ackwards and Belly-Up that's about a group of girls in their college years and (though written during the same time as the first Clique novel) considered by many (including the author herself) to be a Spiritual Successor. Unfortunately, it's about as far away from Dark Fic as you can get.
Alicia and/or Massie has Narcisstic Personality Disorder
Massie will become a future series' Big Bad
If you thought she was bad as a middle-schooler...
The series was originally going to turn into a downright brutal Deconstruction
It never happened due to Executive Meddling
or something like that.
Dylan has an eating disorder due to stress and depression caused by Massie
This one should seem almost too obvious.
- Pretty much confirmed in the prequel.
Claire is the group's new Kristen
They would be (or were
) considered "LBRs" before they were adopted by the Pretty Committee and they both end up being pretty similar to the point of almost being interchangeable.
The Pretty Committee (not so) secretly despises Massie
Throughout the series, there are ample (actually, tons
) of hints that the other girls are at least aware that many of their problems stem from Massie's incessant intra-group bullying: Dylan struggles to avoid being bullied over her (perceived) weight, Kristen and Claire are afraid of being labeled as "LBRs" and Alicia just wants to get Massie out of the way so she can be the new Alpha
. Which leads to....
The Clique is
- the proof was right there in front of us the whole time!
It's not about other girls being bullied by the Pretty Committee - it's about the Pretty Committee being bullied by itself
. Specifically, how the other girls continue to suffer from Massie's bullying, but are too afraid to do anything about it. Not only that, but Massie adds peer-pressure for them to further bully each other.
Since there's probably not a lot of crossover readership between The Clique
and the Star Wars EU this warrants background: Joruus C'Boath is a Dark Jedi who, unlike the Emperor and above all things doesn't want to control all people in the galaxy (which he sees as a given anyway) but specifically wants to have complete control of all other Jedi
to the point where it makes up his entire motivation and planning in the Thrawn Trilogy (including his repeated and failed kidnappings of Luke Skywalker and Mara Jade to try to bring them to the Dark Side). Massie isn't so much concerned about ruling the other girls at OCD (which she sees as a given anyway). She wants to have power over very specific girls whom she thinks will be worth more of her time. There's even very similar speeches and diatribes given by both Joruus about how Jedi are far superior to normal humans which is eerily similar to Massie's speeches and diatribes about the importance of Girls Like Us
- Does this mean Alicia is Grand Admiral Thrawn then?
- And Kristen is Captain Pellaeon!
- So is Dylan Mara Jade then?
- So The Clique is an AU High School retelling of The Thrawn Trilogy!
Massie and/or Alicia's lives took a steep downturn after the events of this series
- I would really like to see a fanfic based on this idea.
Katniss is ah-bviously
Claire and Peeta is Cam. Glimmer and Clove are Massie and Alicia. "Foxface" would be Kristen, since Kristen is also Layne's (secret) BFF and caught between two worlds, so Layne has her not trying to kill Katniss and Peeta and has her die of an accident
. President Coin (in the sequels) would be Mrs. Burns the OCD Principal. I don't know where Dylan would fit in though, or who Rue, Prim and President Snow would correspond to.
This way Kristen gets to live out a fantasy life away from the Pretty Committee where things would be "normal" and she wouldn't have to stress out about maintaining her scholarships; her BFFs would be Layne (Ivy) and a much, much nicer (albeit dumber) version of Alicia (Skyler). She would also have a much more normal family closely resembling Claire's (complete with her own version of Todd - Gabe) in the middle of the country, far away from Westchester.
is a Self-Insert Fic written by Dylan
Instead of being a somewhat shy girl with body issues, she gets to be a confident and proud young lady living out on her own in the Big Apple, living a glamorous life as the au pair of one of the world's most famous and glamorous couples. She still occasionally alludes to her "real" life in how Jessie was treated back in Texas and how Massie (Darla) is still much richer than her.
That's why some of the WMGs on this page keep mysteriously disappearing!
Think about it: both series are about air-headed fashion and boy-obsessed girls in popular cliques, and both even have a girl named Kristen in it! The Clique
would just be a version played entirely straight. Teen Girl Squad
predates The Clique
by a couple of years so it's entirely plausible.
- What's Her Face is Claire. Called it.
One of these days, Layne is going to snap.
And she'll go a Heathers-style
killing spree, killing everyone who did her wrong. Alternatively, Claire
will snap and Layne will be her partner in crime.
Alicia is a victim of sexual abuse.
Her parents made her get implants, what more proof do you need?