WMG: Ni no Kuni
Lucien cast Ashes of Resurrection on the Sage's Daughter.The Kingdom of Halcyon did eventually find her; and killed her. Seeing her as his sole light; he learned the forbidden spell and resolved to cast it, no matter the cost. As revealed by the story "The Bear-Man and the Princess's Tears" in the Wizard's Companion; the Equivalent Exchange is forgetting that the resurrected person exists; so Lucien erased his Morality Chain from his mind. This made his despair even greater as he can't remember anything good coming from his disobeying Halcyon; making his becoming Shadar all the more quick. Naturally, when he died, the memory erase no longer applied.
Oliver will not cast Ashes of Resurrection on his mother because he knows the price and won't pay it.He has the Wizard's Companion, after all, and has read all the stories; including "The Bear-Man and the Princess's Tears." You have to be utterly committed to be able to cast the spell; and that's too high a cost.
The Fairy Godmother was Alicia's Soul Mate.By permanently going back in time and not returning, Alicia condemned her Soul-Mate(s) to the same limbo that Shadar committed his; (except the one saved by Alicia). However, as shown by the Conductor; "lost" Soul-Mates can get out of limbo; but they aren't quite human anymore. Because this Alicia was taking up her space in Oliver's world; Alicia's soul-mate instead manifested in the world without an Alicia; the Other world that Alicia had left as a spirit being like the Conductor.
- This is why the Fairies don't have Soul-Mates like everyone else; they're created from an Orphaned Soul.
- Super Irony: Oliver got "rebirthed" via the Fairy Godmother too.
The Setting (both worlds) was created at the end of Mother 3.Because two different agencies were trying to free the Dragon and imprint upon it; while Good triumphed, this still lead to two worlds being created. Both worlds turned out Bright (Ghibli Earth is friendlier than our Earth, but due to Emptiness from the Masked Man, it has no magic), but as always, Free Will leads to exceptions.
- The Dragon became the Guardians of the Worlds.
The voice who yells, "Nice!", "Now's your chance!", and "Supercharged!" in battles is Oliver's mother's voice.
- The voice is distinct and has a noticeable British accent (one that is common in the other world, mind, of course), but it's also a nice thought thematically, because his mother really is watching over her son in death.
Howl is Marcassin's Soul Mate.
- Marcassin is already identical to Howl and there are many similarities between the two, like how both are powerful mages and seem very vain and Wangsty at first glance. Well if you combine the Ghibli film's character design for Howl and remember that the book mentions that Howl originally came from our world and if we assume that the town Oliver comes from is supposed to be our world the only problem would be the time period differences.