WMG: Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
The atrocities committed during ZZ Gundam helped cause Char Aznable to turnHe had hope in the future due to his speech and Kamille, but with what happened during Z Gundam's finale (Kamille getting brain fired) and the events of ZZ Gundam (where the Federation basically bends over to Haman's will and more so, intentionally letting Neo-Zeon execute the Dublin Colony Drop to its full effect), it sent Char flying over the Despair Event Horizon (3x faster in fact), and causing his decay into insanity/villainy. This is also why he reacted so strongly to Amuro's recording: It was reminding him of what exactly happened to him.
- The discussions about Char's intentions (as well as the actions of his clone Full Frontal in Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn) seem to imply that this may well be the case.
Char dropped Axis on Earth as a last middle finger to Haman.It's where he had his worst harem memories.
Amuro and/or Char survived.Jossed by the manga (Amuro's considered KIA and Char winds up becoming Unicorn Gundam's Full Frontal... maybe. But only if you believe that against all the other evidence.), but the fluidity of anime canonicity (plus the far-off promise of a Quess-free remake) could result in Amuro and Char surviving atmospheric re-entry after pushing Axis away from Earth...and spending their remaining days as buddy cops. If Amuro ISN'T the Only Sane Man in that spinoff, This Troper will eat his hat. With chili sauce.
- You should eat it with yogurt sauce.
- You seem to forget that we're talking about what happens if it DOESN'T meet expectations. A lost bet, if you will.
- Actually the novel Beltorchika's Children considers him KIA, not the Manga, Tomino says that Amuro is 'MIA' and refuses to change his mind, meaning Amuro survived or his Psychoframe transported him somewhere else, so it is possible that he and Char ARE alive. The now-canonical animation of Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn, however, seems to have confirmed that they were KIA, as they are now together with Lalah, wherever "beyond the time" may be.
- Or, as was jokingly posited in the last segment of MAHQ's mailbag, Amuro and Char got each sent to alternate universes, becoming Ribbons Almarck and Gilbert Durandal respectively.
- Or or, they were transmogrified into mobile suits, with Amuro becoming the Turn A Gundam and Char becoming the Turn X, machines destined to battle for Earth and Space, respectively, for all eternity.
Nanai Miguel was having an affair.Tomino has gone on record saying Muella Miguel & her son Usso are not related to Char. However, the two women look almost identical, in addition to having the same surname. Perhaps the kid Nanai was pregnant with wasn't his. Her relationship with Char does seem to be on the rocks in the movie. She probably got fed up with him chasing underage tail sometime back & decided to have some fun of her own.
Char spent some time in a Cyber-Newtype lab.Char's personality and mentality suffered a massive shift between Zeta and Char's Counterattack . It is possible that Char was recovered from the final battle of the Gryps Conflict by any number of groups, and sent to a Cyber-Newtype facility when it became clear that he had weak Newtype potential, possibly during the course of recovering from any injuries he might have sustained against Haman's Qubeley. Probably he was recovered by Zeon, since he was easily able to get into contact with their remnants after the First Neo-Zeon War . Not only does this explain why he was so different mentally in Char's Counterattack, but it also explains his relationship with Nanai Miguel, who was in charge of the Newtype labs by the time of the Second Neo-Zeon War, and must have had some background in Cyber-Newtype research before then. This also explains his interest and mentorship of Gyunei, himself a Cyber-Newtype insecure despite his skills.
Char Aznable DID die at the end of Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam. The Char we see in Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack is really an insane Johnny RiddenDriven mad by always getting mistaken for Char and having his accomplishments in life quashed time and time again by being compared to the OTHER red-themed Zeon ace, Johnny's crumbling ego took yet ANOTHER blow when someone else in the AEUG got the red Zeta Gundam. His desperation fueled rapid Newtype development and he used his similarities to Char to his advantage, beginning to take on more and more of the deceased Aznable's mannerisms but at the same time continuing a downward moral and mental spiral. It came to a head in UC 0093 when Johnny began a new round of Colony Drops on the Earth, at the same time providing Anaheim Electronics the materials to create the powerful Nu Gundam so he could finally surpass the original Char; by defeating Amuro in one-on-one combat when they were both at their absolute best, Johnny knew he could finally escape the shadow of the Red Comet. His disinterest in Quess is due to the fact that Johnny simply was not a pedophile. However, in the end even with the power of the Sazabi Johnny could not surpass Char, and the rest is history. Consequently, this means that the Word of God statement about Usso not being Char's grandson is completely true. He's not. He's Johnny's.
Astonaige was going to make Pineapple salad for KayraNo evidence, just a vague resemblance between the fateful take-off scenes.
The Char we see is actually a cloneSpecifically a Cyber-Newtype clone whose memories and personality have been manipulated with so he'd be an ideal puppet. The real Char is either dead or somewhere far, far away, out of reach.
- This WMG also makes the rest of the Neo-Zeon remnants either really really stupid or really really desperate considering they didn't stop at this one instance.