Future DW Character speculation
- Cao Hong
- Was historically a Jerkass who belittled his fellow officers while trying to make himself look good. He's prime Token Evil Teammate material because of this, and could be an excellent Foil to Cao Ren, whom he was constantly seen with in earlier games. In order to make him somewhat likable, he could have a strong connection to his family: in the novel, he rescued Cao Cao, even after he threatened to execute Hong for screwing up against Ma Chao.
- Liao Hua
- Lived to see the founding and end of Shu. Was second-of-command during Jiang Wei's campaigns. His Musou Mode could consist of him being nervous about living up to the standards his predecessors established.
- Yu Jin
- One of Wei's Five Elite Generals. Surrendered to Guan Yu at Fan Castle, and actually died because he was so ashamed of doing so. His Musou Mode could include him defying the events of the novel and going on to redeem himself.
- Confirmed to be playable in 8: Xtreme Legends!
- Xun Yu
- One of the outstanding strategist serving under Cao Cao. He play an important role of Wei early story, especially in Battle of Puyang. Also, he is popular enough to be the second place in dynasty warriors 8 wishlist, trailing only Chen Gong.
- Wang Ping
- An officer who defect from Wei to Shu in Battle of Han Zhong. He is one of the major general in Zhuge Liang's Northern Expeditions, especailly in Battle of Jieting. Also, he is the commander the battle of Mt. Xingshi in both 7 and 8, despise being an genetic officer. He also have grudge against Xu Huang base on the fact that the later contribute to his utimate defection to shu.
- Ma Su
- Zhuge Liang's infamous pupil who's blunder at Jie Ting forced him to be executed as punishment. His Musou mode would be him starting out as an Insufferable Genius and takes a level in humility after surviving it and becomes more humble and willing to accept he's not always right and listen to the advice of others as he becomes his successor in place of Jiang Wei.
- Fa Zheng
- A stragetist who started out under Liu Zhang and served Liu Bei after he claimed Shu and was their Guo Jia (Excellent Strategist who died young and if had lived things may have gone differently.) His story mode would start at the battle of Chengdu and after repelling Liu Bei's forces decide to deflect and serve him seeing the kind of leader he is compared to Liu Zhang and consist of forming The Three Kingdoms and battling against Wei to claim Han Zhong and living past his death date and seeing through Lu Xun's Fire attack at Yi Ling and conquering Wu.
- Confirmed to be playable in 8: Xtreme Legends!
- Chen Gong
- Best known as Lu Bu's strategist and has gotten a custom appearance so he'll be around by either Empires or Xtreme Legends. His Musou mode would first have him help out Cao Cao escape from Dong Zhuo but then leave unable to put up with his methods and then help Diao Chan assassinate Dong Zhuo and give his allegiance to Lu Bu and aid him at his battles with his ending would have him lamenting the fact that that the wars are still happening but decides to keep fighting as he continues to look for someone who can end the chaos.
- Chen Gong confirmed to be playable in 8: Xtreme Legends!
- Zhuge Jin
- Zhuge Liang's brother who served Wu and was known as The Tiger and was favored and trusted by Sun Quan. He would be a bit more laidback than Zhuge Liang but still a worthy strategist who prefers to let the younger generation take center stage. His musou mode would first have him aid Liu Bei at Changban but after Chi Bi serve under Sun Quan. At Yi Ling he defeats Zhuge Liang in a battle of wits and strategy but refuses to kill him saying he cannot bring himself to do so. Instead he helps establish peace and brings an alliance between Wu and Shu and they defeat Wei at Wu Zhang Plains bringing peace as the Brothers play Go against one another in his ending.
- Gao Shun
- One of Lu Bu's vassals and generals of his army and was the most loyal, staying by his side and defeated Xiahou Dun at Xia Pi when Cao Cao offered him a chance to join glared at him and accepted his execution. With the added focus on Lu Bu as of late it's only a matter of time before he joins as well either in XL or 9.
- Bianshi / Lady Bian
- Cao Cao's second wife, but becomes the official one after his first wife divorced him following death of Cao Ang (Cao Cao's eldest son at the time and said ex-wife's adopted son whom she treat as her own son). Interestingly, some Lady Bian's traits are similar with Lianshi in the game, especiallly their Rags to Riches and Team Mom traits. No, seriously, this is basically what makes many fans interested on her becomes playable in future games someday. She can also be another Token Good Teammate for Wei because material source state she's benevolent woman.
- Sha Moke
- King of a barbarian tribe who allied with Liu Bei who killed Gan Ning and was cut down by Zhou Tai. His musou mode would consist of him surviving past Yi Ling and having a rivarly with Meng Huo over their tribes and after Nanzhong is subdued move on to conquer Wei at Jie Ting
- Huang Hao
- The scheming corrupt advisor of Liu Shan who through bribes from Wei stopped Jiang Wei's campaigns preventing him from getting any ground in the war during the later periods. His musou mode would consist of him pretending to be on and support Shu's side while at the same time planting seeds of doubt within Liu Shan about Jiang's ability to lead. But Karma will catch up to him in the end when its revealed he's been accepting bribes and either Sima Zhao will cut him down disgusted with his methods or Jiang Wei slays him and proves his treachery.
- Zhou Fang
- The Wu Vassal who cut off his long hair as a symbol of defection and in turn tricked Wei and achieved a great victory. His mode would consist of him at battles such as He Fei and Yi Ling for Wu and have a cutscene where in front of Wei soldiers and Generals such as Sima Yi, he cuts off his hair to show his change of allegiance (Having two models, one with long hair the other with short) and then at the battle shows his true loyalty to Wu and cuts down Cao Xiu at Shi Ting.
- He Jin
- Commanded the Imperial Army against the Yellow Turbans, though got assassinated by the Eunuchs cause they were threatened by him. His musou mode would consist of him beating the Yellow Turbans and surviving his encounter with the Eunuchs to go on and unify China. Don't know what his personality would be like though, but this troper would make him a bit of a jerkass who loathes having to fight his enemies himself.
- Zhang Liang or Zhang Bao
- Zhang Jiao's two brothers and the closest thing to generals in the Yellow Turbans. Possibilities for individual story modes could be either the Way of Peace spreading throughout China (possibly even displacing the Three Kingdoms setup altogether) or one brother or the other dealing with Jiao's death after the Yellow Turban Rebellion. Chances of them ending up joining Wei or Wu would be fairly decent; Shu's just out of the question simply because of Liu Bei's lineage.
Koei-Tecmo will soon spin off the Warriors series to include the American Civil War
An entry from the Dynasty Warriors
YMMV page gives an interesting take on this:
Imagine if you will a similar game based on the American Civil War, where you get to play as Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, Nathan Bedford Forrest, Ulysses S. Grant, and William Sherman as gun-toting badasses, and Abe Lincoln gets reimagined as leading from the battlefront wielding twin laser-sighted M1s. Then imagine the game based not on the actual history, but on a unashamed rule of cool romanticized novelization of the history, written in 2850 A.D. (i.e. a thousand years after the historical events have passed into oral legend). Then, imagine that instead of two sides, there are three (North, South, and WEST!) and instead of 5 years or so, it lasts 100...
More realistically, Koei-Tecmo can slightly romanticize the events of the American Civil War for the sake of a video game. Though the mentions of slavery could be a sensitive subject, especially in a video game, it is a central theme of the war to begin with, Possible names for the game:
- Civil Warriors: America
- Dynasty Warriors: America
- The Japanese name of the game would be 南北戦争無双 (nanbokusensoumusou, literally "American Civil War Unmatched/Musou")
Koei has already spun off the Warriors
series to include the Warring States period of Japan, the Hundred Years' War, the Trojan War, as well as a series with Gundam
, One Piece
, and Fist of the North Star
. The American Civil War is the next obvious step from here...
Come on, as if this isn't obvious enough. They could add in either Mi Fang or Fu Shiren (the two dudes who betrayed Guan Yu and caused his eventual downfall), though as they try to make this world of woobie, the two can receive more positive treatment and end up like Jerkass Woobie
. Aside of that, since Jin is on the fray now, they can also add Huang Hao, who'll rival Dong Zhuo in terms of evil (in a way of Evil Chancellor
than Evil Overlord
), probably lifting some crazy things given to Jiang Wei in 7, as well as making even Zhong Hui be completely disgusted at him.
- Jossed, but not completely. There's always DW 9 in the future. Or XL.
- Comfirmed by the debut of Fa Zheng, who is not your normal good guy found in Shu according to both actual history and in-game description.
Zhao Yun in Dynasty Warriors is a double-agent working for Wei, and later Jin
- If you think about it, almost every single one of his incarnation wears large chunks of blue/cyan colour, instead of the green like every other Shu characters, while in the latest installment the colour of his wear changed to light blue, which is very close to the Jin faction colour. This explains how he is able to breakthrough the heavily occupied Changban without a scratch, just so Wei can make sure Shu will have an incompetent successor after Liu Bei dies.
- Coincidentally enough, this is one of the running subplots in Ravages Of Time — although Zhao Yun aka Liaoyuan Huo, by chapter 386 seems to have had Liu Bei's righteousness rub off on him, and it's more about Zhao Yun building up Liu Bei as a powerful rival to Cao Cao so that Sima Yi can move up Cao Cao's ranks to set up a coup.